The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Headliner installation help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Headliner installation help
    Posted: 28-May-2014 at 12:41PM
Hey everyone I tore out the old headliner and above the doors there is the spikey tracks that are screwed in place.the old one goes under the tracks and I can't see it.do I have to take them off or can I just cut em close and put the new one snug up to where I cut them I am perplexed?
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2014 at 2:47PM
Take then off and put the liner underneath just as from the factory. Also the rear glass should be removed as the liner wraps around the pinch weld and the rear glass rubber molding/glue holds it in place...Do it right and do it once.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
73torino gt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2014 at 12:28AM
But the screws weren't visible on the original one so how did they do it?also I took the rear window out and no headliner material was wrapped over the lip where the window sits.I've tried to post pictures with no luck on here.I can't figure it out.if u would be willing to give me your# I could send some pics.im perplexed here.
Montego01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montego01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2014 at 8:54AM
Not for sure on a formal, but I know on my fastback, there is also the tracks with the spikes on it as well on the 1/4 sail panel. The headliner stretches into place and hangs onto these spikes. I assume this is the same on the tracks above the doors that you are referring to. 

This is probably why you did not see the screws. It was over the track, not under.
At least that is the way I believe it's supposed to be done.

I also had the rear glass out. Be sure and do what Kris said. Wrap the headliner into that channel.

Do NOT do this on the front windshield. You don't want the front glass installed over the headliner edge.
Scott
72 Montego GT 429 build thread
1966 Chevy C10
1973 Montego MX
2004 Bonneville GXP
 Post Reply Post Reply