The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ignition spark

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-code Montego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ignition spark
    Posted: 01-June-2014 at 10:34AM
I'll try to keep it short:

My Montego with the bone-stock 302 started running rough and progressively got worse a few months ago. It sits for long periods so I thought the fuel system was clogged. Then I thought maybe it was ignition.
I pulled #1 plug wire and grounded it, fired it up and got a nice blue spark. after running for 10 minutes the spark turned yellow and the engine started stumbling and I noticed the spark was cutting out. The engine never dies but continues to run rough.

These are the only causes I can think of and I'm trying to fix it on the cheap since I don't have a lot of cash to throw at it right now.

Coil?
Voltage regulator?
Distributor? even though it's less than a few years old?
   Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
1. 1971 Montego parts car, but it still runs!
2. 1971 Montego. Numbers matching 4V Cleveland, C6, 9 inch rear 3.25 Trac-lok(project car)
3. 2003 Crown Victoria P71 ,Daily driver
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2014 at 10:46AM
First, look at the cap and rotor for corrosion
Points? I would look at points/condenser and engine ground as well as coil.
Duraspark? Module or rust on the "wheel" and sensor in the distributor.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2014 at 10:47AM
are you running points? if so check them clean and gap to .018 , or replace and gap, condenser too, next guess would be the coil
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
M-code Montego View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-code Montego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2014 at 11:35AM
It's a stock replacement points dist. with an ACCEL cap. The terminals on the cap had some carbon deposits but I cleaned it up as well as the rotor and it had no affect. I have another coil in a box somewhere so I'll have to swap it out. The points looked ok and I didn't see any corrosion inside the dist. The engine ground is something I never considered. I'll jump back on it next weekend.

Thanks for the help.
1. 1971 Montego parts car, but it still runs!
2. 1971 Montego. Numbers matching 4V Cleveland, C6, 9 inch rear 3.25 Trac-lok(project car)
3. 2003 Crown Victoria P71 ,Daily driver
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2014 at 11:58AM
Originally posted by M-code Montego M-code Montego wrote:

It's a stock replacement points dist. with an ACCEL cap. The terminals on the cap had some carbon deposits but I cleaned it up as well as the rotor and it had no affect. I have another coil in a box somewhere so I'll have to swap it out. The points looked ok and I didn't see any corrosion inside the dist. The engine ground is something I never considered. I'll jump back on it next weekend.

Thanks for the help.
    I have nothing to add that hasn't been suggested already Report back with your findings. My Ranchero did the same thing last time I put it away. I had it running for about 25minutes while I was loading my truck & securing the house(vacation home) for the winter. Just as I was about to get in it, she started Idling rough. Thought it was the gas 'even thou I had treated it, but it has sat a lot more the last 2yrs. Last yr I didn't have much time to mess with it, outside of draining the tank, & putting fresh(then) gas. I couldn't get it started after that. Over the winter thought I'd check the coil & condenser next time I go back down there where it's at. I have a DuraSpark setup for it, that I'll get to one of these daysSleepy
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2014 at 2:34PM
If the car sits and if the gas has ethanol in it, the ethanol absorbs water out of the air and separates out at the bottom of the tank (@$#! you, EPA!) Boaters call this "water bottom". It may sit below your pickup and only show itself when you horse the car, or park on/go up & down hills. Only cure is to drain the tank. ISOPROPYL dry gas may help if it's not too bad.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2014 at 8:47AM
If the spark is turning yellow, I would suspect the coil is getting hot and breaking down. Wiring could be chafed and/or old and breaking down as well. Check points, condenser. Swapping out a different coil would be a good first move.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
 Post Reply Post Reply