The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking at building a new exhaust

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torkair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking at building a new exhaust
    Posted: 13-June-2014 at 6:43PM
I am looking into building a new 3" exhaust for my Ranchero to keep up with the 460 that is now living under the hood.  I am running the Crites long tube headers and am very happy with them.  Anyhow, I am looking into a 3" x pipe setup so if there are any good kits out there please help in pointing me in the right direction.
72 Gran Torino "sport"- in progress

73 Ranchero GT- Q code-460/C6/3.25 open rear
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2014 at 1:03AM
I built my own exhaust system using a Pypes XVF-13 3" X-pipe kit, Jegs 3" x 18" header collector extensions, Dynomax Ultraflo 17221 welded mufflers with Flowmaster T3030 turndowns at the rear axle. It did take a bit of cutting and welding but the system tucks up real well in the trans tunnel and I get plenty of positive comments from folks about the sound while I'm out cruising, which made all the work worthwhile.

I will say the Dynomax's have a good throaty but not too loud tone at idle and/or cruise even though the exhaust "dumps" at the rear axle. The X-pipe adds an evil F-1"ish" sound/tone when at WOT. Good luck with your exhaust choices, hopefully this will give you an option or two. Todd

Edited by aquartlow - 14-June-2014 at 1:05AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
OleDutchD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OleDutchD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2014 at 4:21AM
I built the 3" system on my '72, back in '05, using an X-pipe and Hooker AeroChambers. Managed to get it up over the axle and turned out behind the rear tires. Works well. I can only add a couple of things to this:

1) Doesn't much matter which muffler you use or where you dump it, with a three inch system, you're going to notice it... inside and out. We get a lot of comments on the sound. All good.

2) Bought a copy of PipeMax, two years ago, Pretty much agrees with the system we built, with one exception.... on a street system (@ 425HP), it places the X-pipe much farther back from the collectors... just before the mufflers. The reason being that there is less inertia (on a muffled street system) and the exhaust gases have cooled and thereby occupy less space, so there is less restriction (and chance for reversion) as they pass through the merge. That changes with power band and HP. When the day comes to re-do the exhaust, that's what I'll do.

Edited by OleDutchD - 15-June-2014 at 4:24AM
Just an analog guy stuck in a digital world!
 Post Reply Post Reply