The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Locking header bolts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Locking header bolts
    Posted: 17-June-2014 at 3:25PM
I'm getting ready to drop my 351 CJ in and was wondering what everyone has used for header bolts? please post the brand/ part# and your review on how they perform
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2014 at 4:19PM
On my 521 I used ARP P/N 400-1202. The same will work for 351C. These are 12 point stainless bolts.

The 12 point small head allowed me to tighten them with a wrench, because some of them you can not get to without a wrench. 351C won't have that problem, however.

I am a big ARP fan, as I have had really good luck with their products over the years. You pay more, but they are worth it in my opinion.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2014 at 2:15PM
When  I purchased my FPA headers, they came with 3/8-16 X 1 header bolts. I opted for locking header bolts, so I ordered Stage 8, 3/8-16 X1 header bolts. My Aussie heads have recessed threads on the exhaust side of the cylinder head and with the thickness of the header flange and gasket, the 1" bolts only thread about a 1/4" into the head. I'll need to use 1 1/4 bolts so enough threads are holding. Does anyone have acess to standard 351C head to see if the bolts hole threads are flush to the head surface or recessed like on my aussie heads?
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
 Post Reply Post Reply