The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

351m too 460 swap..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badmav70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351m too 460 swap..
    Posted: 23-June-2014 at 3:16PM
ive searched a few of the forums here and cant seem too find much info, maybe im not looking in the right area. I got a line on a 460 too drop in my 77 ltd ii need too know the basic things I will need too drop in the 460 in place of my 351m.
77 ltd II

78 monarch

05 focus st
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2014 at 4:01AM
The transmission will bolt up. However you will need to find a set of motor mounts to start with. Exhaust is the other thing that will need to be changed.

I am making the assumption this motor comes complete with engine brackets and accessories?

Throttle cable will need some modification.

It's a tight fit but definitely do-able.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
badmav70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badmav70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2014 at 8:37AM
Its in a truck frame at the moment. So its looking like I'd need frame brackets and manifolds and im assuming also a oil pan. Might not be such a good deal.
77 ltd II

78 monarch

05 focus st
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2014 at 9:55AM
Also, just because you can bolt up your existing trans, doesn't mean you should. A lot of 351M cars had FMX transmissions. That may not live long behind a 460.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2014 at 2:21PM
ya, kinda hard getting into the swap but once ALL the parts are acquired, it will go right in.

motor mounts are a hard to find item
headers are expensive, exhaust manifolds are heavy and flow like crap.
the oil pan thing isn't too bad, the torino's are front sump just for the info
if you are going auto just go C6 and be done with it.
throttle cable shouldn't be too hard
accessories for the 460 are needed
cross-member location might be different
drive shaft might be different
cooling system needs to be correct big block setup

I'm sure there is other small stuff I'm forgetting
-Billy Conturo
cougar1977 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cougar1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2016 at 7:48AM
I'm having the issues with the motor mounts. If I remember correctly a member psquare has fine the swap. I'm trying to find the post and hopes he chimes in on the issue.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2016 at 3:52PM
Crites is the only company that makes 460/429 motor mounts for the 72-79 cars.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2016 at 11:47AM
find a rotted out 72-76(maybe up to 79?) lincoln mark or same era t bird with a big block and you'll have all the bits and pieces needed for your LTD II. I see them around under $1k often enough, with any luck you'll get one with a good motor and better C6 trans, be way ahead of the game moneywise instead of pickin up bits and pieces here and there , that may or may not be correct for what you want. . This is what I did with my 74 ranchero years ago. Did the swap from a 351c to the 429, it all looked factory and no cobblin needed.

Edited by MrSmog - 25-January-2016 at 11:51AM
samplesdm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samplesdm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2018 at 9:51AM
I'm in the process of doing the same thing.I finally found the mounts, what a pain trying to find. Finally got some from a mid 70's Lincoln. Now I'm stuck on the oil pan. Will any BBF front sump oil pan work?
Thank you
-Dennis
 Post Reply Post Reply