The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

460 swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tritack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 460 swap
    Posted: 28-June-2014 at 2:18PM
Hello.  This is my first post.  I just recently came recently acquired a 460 block is a D9TE-AB.  I have never rebuilt and engine and am looking forward to trying it.  I have purchased the book by Tom Monroe on beginner rebuilding an engine.  I am going to put it into my 70 4 door Torino formal roof that has a 302.  Since I have no experience and not looking to build a monster asphalt shaver, what should parts should I look for and what should I do to make it a good reliable engine that can give me some hp and sound tough but  not break my budget.  I am really excited about rebuilding it and would appreciate any advice, suggestions quite a bit.  It is also missing the oil pan and its components and need to know what to get.

Thank you!
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2014 at 2:13PM
Ford big blocks are simple. Shouldn't be too much of a problem building it.

I see you have a 79 production block. I believe the 79+ is externally balanced.

My recommendation is to leave the bottom end alone if it runs ok and passes a compression test. Lots of power can be had with valve timing and a good tune (including carb). The stock 460's rotating assembly is tough. It should hold up to however much you could possibly get out of stock heads even if you decide to do valve seats and port work. You are really going to be limited by the low compression ratio.

As far as which cam is best for you, do some research. Even a slightly more aggressive profile with the stock valve train will give you noticeable grunt improvement.

An aluminum intake and aluminum water pump shaves a few easy pounds for very low cost, and judging by the car it is going in, weight is going to be the death of fast for you.

Could go for days on this stuff but that would take all the fun out of it for you. Wink Do lots of research, there is so much info floating around on this, you should be headed in the right direction in no time.

Welcome to the forum...
-Billy Conturo
tritack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tritack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2014 at 1:21PM
Thank you Billy C. Been reading on the forum for past several months. Pretty excited about this car and the work I am going to put into it! This place is full of knowledge and is first place I go to to find a answer before I look anywhere else.
carguy47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2014 at 5:47AM
I have a 460 D9 block in my car. I will be pulling it out and replacing it with another BBF. I do have a new aluminum intake I put on the car I will not need since the new motor comes with a new intake. If interested, let me know. Welcome, Bill N.

You have to build em to drive em!
 Post Reply Post Reply