The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lares 841 Quick Ratio PS Box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2017 at 9:12AM
I have only seen the Ford built boxes installed into full size cars and truck models, never a Saginaw box(as far as the early to late 70's go). I have heard the Ford built box is the stronger of the 2 boxes, it is physically larger than a Saginaw box. Even my '82 F250 4x4 used the Ford box. Now in our '72-'79 intermediates, I have seen both PS boxes used of course, with about 2/3's being the Ford built box. Really not sure the reason that Ford went with the GM steering division's PS gearbox, maybe Bendix(the alleged builders of the Ford PS gearbox) was falling short on quota. Kinda like, why did Ford/Lincoln/Mercury models use the GM sourced A6 a/c compressor on the full sized platforms? Or why Ford never installed a Sag PS pump(AFAIK, always in a full size-never in an intermediate) and PS gearbox together in one vehicle(would have made finding/having the correct pressure line A LOT easier) Ouch.   
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
GTorino75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTorino75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2017 at 4:41AM
I finally called Lares Corp and told them about the original pitman arm not fitting on the 841 steering box sector shaft and it fits too tight, barely slides onto the splines and not being able to fully thread the nut on.
The tech stated that it is a known problem on there end and to call where I purchased the unit and have another one sent out to me. So they have been rebuilding some boxes and installing sector shafts with larger diameters by mistake. I called the place I purchased from and they are refunding me as soon as I send the steering box back. They also said that they were not aware of the problem so if I ordered another one with the same part # then it's possible that I would end up with the same problem again.
You cannot eyeball the difference. So, I'm going to order it at a parts store counter and bring my pitman arm along to make sure it fits properly before I take it home.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2017 at 12:33PM
Originally posted by GTorino75 GTorino75 wrote:

I finally called Lares Corp and told them about the original pitman arm not fitting on the 841 steering box sector shaft and it fits too tight, barely slides onto the splines and not being able to fully thread the nut on.
The tech stated that it is a known problem on there end and to call where I purchased the unit and have another one sent out to me. So they have been rebuilding some boxes and installing sector shafts with larger diameters by mistake. I called the place I purchased from and they are refunding me as soon as I send the steering box back. They also said that they were not aware of the problem so if I ordered another one with the same part # then it's possible that I would end up with the same problem again.
You cannot eyeball the difference. So, I'm going to order it at a parts store counter and bring my pitman arm along to make sure it fits properly before I take it home.

That scenario would really make wonder about their quality control......sheesh. Hopefully it will all work out, definitely a good idea to bring in your pitman arm for fit-a-ment.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12