The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

consoles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: consoles
    Posted: 12-July-2014 at 1:39PM
Some of the cars with buckets and consoles were tilt-wheel and so did not get a floor shifter.
Do those consoles use the mounting hump (and 4-speed carpet) for the shifter anyway or are those consoles shaped differently along the floor?
Thanks

"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
72sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2014 at 2:44PM
Floor shift consoles have a cutout on the drivers side to accommodate the tunnel hump.  I don't know for sure but my money would be on that the non floor shift consoles use the same carpeting as cars without floorshift/consoles.
Tom
1972 Gran Torino Sport 4Spd
1974 Montego wagon "GT" with GT hood, correct buckets
seats, console, and floor shift
2013 Focus 5 speed- Daily driver
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2014 at 11:59PM
The consoles are different.. I had to cut mine quite a bit to fit a hump under it. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2014 at 12:14AM
More work than meets the eye.That's why I have not changed over.Also installed new carpet last yr. won't work with floor conversion.
JoeKarasinski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeKarasinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2014 at 1:53PM
I didn't know you could get a 4 speed  in 77-79, but I can say the console is the same between automatic floor shift and column shift.
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2014 at 2:11PM
you couldn't get a 4spd past 73. the console is basically the same style but are not the same. As tom had stated the consoles are trimmed (crudely) from the factory to fit the shifter hump. The console cars with shifter delete ( column shift cars) use the same carpet as bench seat/ column shift cars. all the consoles from our style cars will interchange. example a cougar console will fit but is different because of the cougar emblem, the same goes for the console door covers, they are the same style and will interchange but they are not the same. 
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2014 at 11:58PM
No 4 speed but auto used the hump so my new carpet would not work.I would have to cut and install hump.
bata747-8 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Honorary Spam Bot / Zombie Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bata747-8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2014 at 1:59PM
What can be done to accommodate carpet and the shifter hump. Do you just trim the carpet?
Forum Test Account

(formerly a spam bot account)
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2014 at 2:26PM
I don't know if there enough material on the column shift carpet to accommodate trimming around the shifter hump and get general good overall fit. the hump will suck up a lot of area that you may not have to give up... if you have the old carpet, I would try to cut out the area and see if you still have an acceptable look.JMO
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2014 at 1:11AM
Come fall when my son get his garage we will take apart the 78 and see.Carpet looks good maybe could piece hump to new carpet.or just fix the 78.
 Post Reply Post Reply