The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

need help soon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need help soon
    Posted: 29-July-2014 at 10:57AM
Radio people called. checking out their work lights to dash on car went out. They have +12 to the neg side of car.In their 30 plus yr. never seen this. Any idea what is wrong fuse block dimmer switch .Strange yesterday all the dash lights worked for the first time.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2014 at 11:12AM
If they tied the radio's ground into the ashtray/dash's dimmable light positive(they will show a ground when tested with a test light when not powered), once the the radio is powered up and/or the dash lights are switched on, the fuse to the dash lights will blow and the radio will not work. Just a thought. Make absolutely sure grounds are in good condition. Sounds to me like the radio shop is just guessing instead of investigating/solving the issue. I hope they or you get it figured out.  
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2014 at 3:12PM
Found the problem,It appears The main ground from bat.was only to motor.After four hr. thinking it was something they had done owner put on new cable with pigtail he connected to body.All is good.Wonder if there was a ground strap that was on trans that did not get hooked back up. Still old radio does not light up but I am not sure it ever did.Going to leave tomorrow after car is doubled checked and arrive late wed night we hope.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2014 at 5:05PM
I bet you were glad it was a simple solution and that an additional ground wire(s) was all that was needed. At least the radio installers stuck with you and got it figured it out(getting rarer to hear others willing to take the extra steps needed), worth the few extra bucks not to have an issue while on your trip.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2014 at 11:04PM
True he was real good, blamed him self for not checking that first.44 yr he never had a car read full 12v on body.
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2014 at 3:44AM
I ran a ground strap with a braided ground wire to the rad support. Also to the grounding point on the engine block. I also used a good starter wire off a parts car and ran a new 4 awg cable from the engine ground point and the frame to the lower front part of the body shell but the body mount box. Installed a large stud and ran grounds to that single point.
I suffered ground loop noise issues for a long time in some fords until I figured that trick.

Edited by Eliteman76 - 30-July-2014 at 3:45AM
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
 Post Reply Post Reply