The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

460 Id

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 460 Id
    Posted: 04-August-2014 at 7:53PM
I hope this finds everyone well I am looking at a 460 engine and need some help to Id it  It has the following numbers on the block C8VE-E  It is being advertised as a 1969 engine If this correct is this the 360 hp engine  Thanks in advance for the input Be Well Conard
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2014 at 11:38PM
The block, at least, is an early model 429/460 block. Check the head casting number, found between the center two exhaust ports, could/should find #'s C8VE, C8SE, C9VE(if they are original to the C8VE block). Also casting numbers on the intake, the early cast intake will have "square bore" carb opening(all four holes the same size) as opposed to the later 460's with a "spread bore" carb opening(small primaries and larger secondaries). BTW, the block is a low deck height block(10.3" as opposed to later blocks that increased DH to 10.322" which lowered compression and decreased detonation tolerances), the heads (if early castings) will have screw in rocker studs, rail rockers, closed 76cc chambers, no EGR port in exhaust port(but the "bump" will be there) or EGR air pump ports on each end of the head. Hope this helps. Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2014 at 2:01PM
Is the power steering part of the front cover? (cast in and crank-driven)
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
conard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2014 at 2:24PM
I have actually only seen photos of it The guy is asking 500.00 for the complete engine He says that it was rebuilt and placed on a stand but has no receipts I am looking for an early 460 to get the extra HP  I am going to try to look at it this weekend I want to put it in my 74 Gran Torino Sport to replace a tired 400 other than motor mounts are there any differences that I should be aware of  Thanks  Conard

aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2014 at 2:45PM
Possible accelerator cable change is one thing you may have to deal with. BTW, a good point was brought up by Big Bird about the very early bbf's having a crankshaft mounted PS pump, here is a pic of the unit & cover I found on 460Ford.com:

Edited by aquartlow - 05-August-2014 at 2:55PM

antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2014 at 3:33PM
Dang, I didn't think of that. I bought a 70 460 and a 69 429 last year. Still trying to figure out which one that I will use. Also have a 72 429.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2014 at 4:11PM
Not all early BBF's had the crank driven PS pump, thank goodness(mostly found on '68-'70 460 powered Lincoln Continentals/Marks, not all T-birds had them but they had 429's in '68-'71). Not really a bad set-up but they were notorious for leaking, either engine oil through the crank seal or PS fluid from the pump. Here is a pic of the early set-up(note the 2 pulley sheave harmonic balancer w/ crank mounted PS pump behind it). You will also notice that the water pump is a short shaft model due to the "compactness" of the harmonic balancer/crank driven PS pump. Hope this helps. Todd

Edited by aquartlow - 05-August-2014 at 4:12PM

Post Reply Post Reply