The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brake Caliper Upgrade Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote felix1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake Caliper Upgrade Questions
    Posted: 11-August-2014 at 5:00PM
Hello everyone, I have a question about front brake upgrades. I have searched and read through quite a few upgrade questions and threads that discuss them but I haven’t found a clear answer to what I have been wondering.

Are there any factory or aftermarket upgrades for our brake calipers themselves. I ask because I am looking to bleed my brakes after replacing my master cylinder and the bleeders on my calipers look to be rusted solid. Now I intend to try and loosen them anyway but I ordered in some factory remanufactured calipers just in case I do break the bleeders off. But I was wondering if there was something else I could upgrade them too instead of the factory spec.

I was also wondering if there is any source for braided stainless flex lines to replace the rubber lines in the braking system that are a direct fit and not something that would need to be adapted as if I do swap calipers it would need to be a one or at most two day project so I could continue driving the car to work. Related to the braided line question does anyone know if there are slotted/drilled rotors available for the stock sized brakes on our cars? My car has fairly new/unused rotors but I would like to explore my options before it comes time to replace them.

Hopefully with the brakes bled and the leaky master cylinder replaced the darn brake warning light in the dash will go out.

Thanks for your help,
Scott

P.S. Is there a standard size sway bar for my model and year or are they variable? Just curious as the bushings need to be replaced but I don’t know the size offhand. I will measure the bar itself, I was just curious if there was a set size before I lifted the car up.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2014 at 6:00PM
as far as braided lines: i got mine from these guys      ( perfect fit!)
http://stores.ebay.com/BRAKE-HOSES-UNLIMITED?_rdc=1

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
bata747-8 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Honorary Spam Bot / Zombie Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bata747-8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2014 at 8:22PM
Brake upgrades for our cars in the front typically involves a larger rotor and the hardware to mount the caliper and/or rotor. You said you were poking around at some threads here so I won't beat any dead horses. However the usual upgrade is 72 Tbird rotors with bearings and caliper bracket. In all of these scenarios I describe the calipers are the same. A larger rotor increases braking ability by being able to absorb more heat.

There are some here who have upgrades calipers and rotors to newer stuff like modern mustang stuff. You can find some off those upgrades here but note they are much more involved. Not to say it is not worth it, because the ones I have seen here look impressive indeed.
Forum Test Account

(formerly a spam bot account)
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2014 at 12:21PM
Felix, Your t-bird can have better brakes by installing rotors and caliper brackets from a full-size ford 1972-1978. 1972 will keep your bolt pattern 5x4.5, but you need the complete spindle, bearings, and rotor (1-year-only parts) 73-up rotors and caliper brackets will fit your spindle/bearings, but you will need "big ford" wheels with 5x5 bolt pattern or get your "big" rotors re-drilled for a 5x4.5 bolt pattern.
Other things to consider:
springs and shocks. If the car is dragging the rear bumper and wallowing with worn shocks, it won't stop as well as a car with good suspension.

Edited by Big Bird - 12-August-2014 at 12:23PM
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
felix1978 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote felix1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2014 at 7:42PM
Thanks for the responses everyone. I was looking more into a straight caliper upgrade, I didn't think there would be one that was a straight bolt on, but I wanted to check before I ended up with rebuilt stockers. The braided lines are really nice, but they sure are proud of them. I suppose since the vehicle needs to remain in service with as little downtime as possible I will just stick with stock for now as I haven't really ever found the factory brakes to be lacking, in fact they've been some of the best I have ever known.

Since I will be sticking with the stock equipment for the time being has anyone used a caliper paint and had good success with it? I am thinking about painting the new ones before they are installed and wanted some opinions, I can't decide between red or silver either, silver goes with everything but red is racier, though it might clash with the Russet paint and current Chamois wheels.

Scott
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2014 at 12:21AM
Here is another place for stainless brake lines(including many line adapters), they are much more affordable, but are more of a universal fit application. I had them assemble a couple of brake hoses for me and they work perfectly, though you will need to know specifics such as overall length, hose ends and "clocking" of the ends(if they are banjo fittings). http://www.technafitstore.com/ , give them a try, if you need affordable stainless brake hoses. Good luck, Todd 

www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
 Post Reply Post Reply