The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1971 Torino MSD Ignition & Elec Fuel Pump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oleycoach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1971 Torino MSD Ignition & Elec Fuel Pump
    Posted: 30-August-2014 at 11:05AM
Looking for wiring info for 1971 Ford Torino. MSD Ignition was installed prior to my purchase. My car has a starter relay. What wire do I take to the MSD 6 series red wire? Instructions say wire that was to the coil +. Would that have been a wire from the starter relay "I" terminal?  Could I take that same wire to the electric fuel pump "+"?  MSD unit uses magnetic pick-up to distributor.  The wiring diagram shows a wire from the ignition switch to the coil "+". I believe coil "+" came from the starter relay "I" terminal, does that sound correct?  I tried to wire as I described and get fuel pressure when cranking.  I also get spark when cranking.  When I return the key to the run position, no power to the pump.  Will not start.  Any ideas?
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2014 at 12:35PM
you need power from the ign switch in run position "+" to the msd box and to the fuel pump. from the switch to the bulkhead is a resistor wire (cuts the voltage down to 8? volts) the "I" terminal on the solenoid bypasses the resistor while cranking, so you get full 12 volts while cranking in the start position) you don't have power from the ign run to those parts , that's why it only runs while cranking! make sense?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
oleycoach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oleycoach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2014 at 4:25PM
Trying to digest this answer.  So if I take the 12v from the "run" position of the ignition switch to the MSD and fuel pump, how do I still get 12v to the MSD and fuel pump in the "start" position?  Seems like if I come off the "run" position, I don't have voltage when in the "start" position.  Do I just abandon the wire that was on the starter relay "I" terminal that used to go to the coil "+"?  Am I missing something here?
Thanks for the help, Lee.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2014 at 6:58PM
some solenoids don't use the "I" terminal, so do. you can still have the "I" terminal hook up as well to the power supply as it is now, when the "S"terminal gets power to engage the solenoid it makes contact with the "I" terminal at the same time, when you release the ign from the start position the solenoid disengages and the "I" should break contact as well. you may not need the wire to the "I", try it without that first if it starts and runs fine then don't use the wire from the "I"
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
oleycoach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oleycoach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2014 at 2:41AM
Sorry, still a little confused. If I remove the wire from the "I" terminal that currently goes to the MSD red wire, were would the 12v power come from?  I only have one wire to the MSD red wire now from the "I" terminal and have that jumpered to the fuel pump as well.  Is there a better place to get the 12v that would be hot when cranking and in the "run" position?  Thanks again, Lee
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2014 at 6:10AM
do some checking with a test light at your ign switch, find one that has power when the key is on (no power when the key is off) when you find one that works that way, check it while turning the key to the start position- does the light still stay on? or go off while in the start position? if it goes off you will still need the "I" wire hooked up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply