The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

15x7 5x5.5 bolt pattern

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weaverT1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2014 at 3:11PM
Yeah I was afraid of that. It seems like the rims would fit no problem it's just the tires are just a bit to wide. Maybe 255's?
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2014 at 3:17PM
Most everything I've seen posted on this site for tire fitment is for the 72-76 torino...
Maybe check torinocobra.com forum??? You should check your backspacing and wheel size, so you know what you have going forward.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
weaverT1971 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weaverT1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2014 at 3:21PM
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/torino-pages/498588-70-71-torino-wheel-tire-sizes.html
and I thought the back spacing was the same, I guess not.
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2014 at 7:14PM
Looks like your new wheels have a slightly negative offset, pushing them out further.  That was popular back in the 70s - 80s, coupled with air shocks, etc.  You can try narrower tires, but that might be a gamble.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2014 at 1:44PM
Alright, LOTS of great info from Dave and the others.

I have run round washers on uni-lug rims for years with no issue, recommended? NO! But I have not had any issues.

As for Weaver's issue... YUP 70/71 is a TOTALLY different car and wheel fitment!

I went back and read the whole thing and missed a couple KEY measurements.
What is the rim WIDTH and BACKSPACE?

IF these are 15x10 "vintage(old)" ET Slots then they are 3.5" Backspace and will most definitely NOT work on 70/71 Torino with out SERIOUS Tall Shackles! and MOST DEFINITELY NOT with a 275/60/15!!

Hell THAT rim doesn't work on the 72-76 Torinos without jacking the ass up and our cars have a bigger wheel well than the 70/71 cars.

So, please tell me what size these rims are, what backspace, what size tires AND PICTURES HELP!

Will do all I can to help once I get all the needed info.

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weaverT1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2014 at 1:57PM
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/pts/4599808438.html
So these are the Rims and wheels I got....Back spacing is 4 inches.

The shackles that are on there look like there 8 inches log! Leaf springs have 3 leafs..I was thinking maybe 3 inch lifting blocks?

Edited by weaverT1971 - 11-September-2014 at 2:03PM
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2014 at 2:07PM
I would be curious to measure those rear rims closer!
9"?? Looks a lot thinner than that as the 275/60 is bulged a little bit more than I would think it should be on a 9" and never heard of a 9" ET Slot?

4" bs? how was that measured?

None the less, those (as you know) will not work on the 70/71 without TALL shackles and/or re-arc'd springs.

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weaverT1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2014 at 2:15PM
I put a straight edge across the back of the rim and measured from where it bolts to the drum, isn't that how you do it? The rims that have the 275's are 15x8.5  and the front are 15x7.5
The shackles that are on there are 10 inches long and they are set on the last hole.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2014 at 2:29PM
As far as blocks go, your car has the axle on top of the spring. adding a block will LOWER your car (trucks usually have the axle under the spring, so it raises them)
If the wheels were measured 9" with the tires on, they are probably 8" wheels.
There should be wheel info stamped into the wheels on the inside (disc/drum side) of the wheel. It may be a size, or a model # that we can check out, but there should be D.O.T. info there SOMEWHERE
Randy
1979 T-Bird
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2014 at 2:34PM
Yep, that's how you do it. 
The width of a wheel is measured on the INSIDE of the bead.  That would be impossible to measure with the tires on.  Although, you could do some rough measurements and guessing, I suppose.  I'm assuming the size isn't stamped on the back side of the wheel?  Or, is that where you got the 8.5 and 7.5 from?

Either way, these details aren't going to help you much, at this point.  Either you'll have to try lifting the rear, or sell the wheels and try again.  And if you're thinking of selling/trading the car, keep in mind that the jacked up rear with tires sticking out isn't really the thing now-adays.  It might make for a tougher trade/sale.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weaverT1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2014 at 2:37PM
Yeah I was trying to figure out how the whole block thing would work with it being under the axel. The numbers stamped inside the rims are 15x8.5 and 15x7.5 Is there no way to raise the back of the car a few inches? I had the wheel on the car, lugs tighten down and ready to go. But when I went to lower the car down the lip of the fender was catching the side of the tire. If I rolled the fender they would probably fit but I don't want to do that. If I could lift it 3-4 inches it would be fine.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weaverT1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2014 at 2:38PM
Originally posted by n2fordwagons n2fordwagons wrote:

Yep, that's how you do it. 
The width of a wheel is measured on the INSIDE of the bead.  That would be impossible to measure with the tires on.  Although, you could do some rough measurements and guessing, I suppose.  I'm assuming the size isn't stamped on the back side of the wheel?  Or, is that where you got the 8.5 and 7.5 from?

Either way, these details aren't going to help you much, at this point.  Either you'll have to try lifting the rear, or sell the wheels and try again.  And if you're thinking of selling/trading the car, keep in mind that the jacked up rear with tires sticking out isn't really the thing now-adays.  It might make for a tougher trade/sale.

Yes Ive thought about that to. I'm assuming the rims would still work with a skinnier tire on them like maybe a 245 or a 255?
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2014 at 2:41PM
Air shocks or longer shackles... but that adds handling problems and looks dated...
Best answer is the right size wheel/tire combo.

Randy
1979 T-Bird
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2014 at 2:50PM
on a 70/71 car the wheel well is NOT tire friendly for a large BS rim.
The top of the wheel well is flat not round to have a tire outside the well.

Almost all the pics I find of 70-71 cars have the tires INSIDE the wheel well.
That requires EXACT BS and tire sizing.
Best place to get that info is probably on torinocobra.

here are a few pics showing you CAN get big meat on the car but it HAS to be inside the lip.
That's just how that style body was designed.

As for jacking it up more... you have 45 yr old leaf springs, they are probably WELL WORN and weak, flattened out! Especially if you have tall shackles and are on the last hole already.
New and Re-arc'd springs is all you are really going to be able to do and bu time you spend the time and money on that you could have got the RIGHT size rim and been better off.

Even these last 2 have big meat, jacked up rears and yet the tire is actually still inside the wheel lip.

Edited by Regul8r - 11-September-2014 at 2:55PM
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weaverT1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2014 at 2:53PM
Man those are some sweet looking cars!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weaverT1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2014 at 3:02PM
So let me ask you guys this then....with those rims that I have, knowing the dimensions and the back spacing what is the biggest tire I can get in there?
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2014 at 3:07PM
Truthfully, with that backspace... probably NOT gonna work on your 70/71

Put one on the way you have it, lower it SLOWLY so it doesn't damage the wheel lip or the tire and take a pic for us.

You are asking a question we cannot answer without pictures.

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weaverT1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2014 at 3:17PM
Well sh*t....maybe someone on here will what them then for their 72 or up?
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2014 at 3:24PM
Originally posted by weaverT1971 weaverT1971 wrote:

Well sh*t....maybe someone on here will what them then for their 72 or up?

yeah someone might!

IF they were RWL I might have been interested for Dee'z Toy

Edited by Regul8r - 11-September-2014 at 3:25PM
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Grantorinosport351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2014 at 3:41PM
rwl?

~Bryan
72 gts h-code (formal roof)
67falcon
04 f250 ''the great white''
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2014 at 4:01PM
Originally posted by Grantorinosport351 Grantorinosport351 wrote:

rwl?

Raised White Letters
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123