The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1971 Torino Draive Shaft

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oleycoach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1971 Torino Draive Shaft
    Posted: 01-September-2014 at 2:48AM
Almost done with my 1971 Ford Torino started by someone else.  Drive shaft was off but in the car. Tried to install it after putting new u-joints on and cleaning it up.  Got it installed but doesn't seem quite right at the transmission.  From the slide yoke to the tail of the tranny has about 1-3/4" of the "clean" shaft sticking out.  Is that normal? Or should it be further into the tranny? I believe the total "clean" shinny portion of the slip yoke is around 5" long.  Pretty sure it's a C4.  How do I verify that and could there be an issue with the number of splines in that slip yoke?  I don't have it running yet but when we push it, it seems to "jump" a bit there.
Lee
FoMoCoOne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FoMoCoOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2014 at 9:16AM
Is the tail shaft boot on the trans, it's about 1-3/4"? 

I have a 302/351C C4 drive shaft out of a car and will get some measurements and a spline count on the slip yoke.

Edited by FoMoCoOne - 09-September-2014 at 9:17AM
1968 Ford F-100 LWB (300 I6, 4 Speed, Ford 9 3.50 LS)
1968 Ford F-350 Dually LWB (390, 4 Speed, Dana 3.73, Factory FDB)
1969 Ford Talladega (Presidential Blue 428CJ/C6)
1996 Ford Mustang (Daughter's)
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2014 at 2:18PM
You may may a trans seal with no dust boot vs a seal with no boot?
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2014 at 2:19PM
pretty sure the C4 yoke is 28 splines?

there's a couple other trans's that use the same spline count, but the OD of the barrel is different on the newest trans that uses it, by just a smudge enough to not be right so check the barrel OD with a caliper or micrometer if you have one, but a caliper will do

I've always heard that rule of thumb is 1" of slip in the yoke, I like mine a little less in a street car, the rear suspension doesn't travel all that much & geometry should be close to neutral so the driveshaft length isn't gonna change all that much through the full articulation of the pinion travel

shows some dimensions you can look at, the 4R70W uses a 1.6" diameter barrel vs 1.5" for most others

with the differential end disconnected, slide the yoke all the way into the trans & make a small mark with a paint pen, Sharpie or crayon on the yoke. then put the back end of the D-shaft back together & measure the 'slip'
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply