The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Four Doors and Wagons
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

package tray 4 door sedan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmcksmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: package tray 4 door sedan
    Posted: 02-September-2014 at 2:23PM
Hey Guys. Anyone out there know where I could pick up a rear package tray for my 71 Torino 500 4 door sedan? I've found the ones for a 2 door but I'm not sure if this will fit. Any suggestions would be great... I tried to use masonite board (pegboard without holes) but it curves up and won't form to the back correctly.

Thanks
71 Torino 500 4 door
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2014 at 3:31PM
I have never seen a new/reproduction rear package tray for a (4 door) 1971 advertised for sale anywhere, but that does not mean that nobody has them for sale...

I have heard of people making them out of 1/8"- 3/16" Pressed Fiberboard from the home depot.

But the original package trays and the reproductions for the 1972-1976 2 door cars, have a thick/heavy duty U.V. resistant Colored paper glued to them and you will probably have to find the thick/heavy duty paper for sale somewhere. I do not know where to buy the thick/heavy duty U.V. resistant colored paper.

Edited by dave302 - 02-September-2014 at 6:55PM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2014 at 3:45PM
You can use your old package tray as a pattern for cutting your new one out of the pressed fiberboard. I have even heard of someone who had used 3/16" thick Luan Board to make a rear package tray, and then he had covered it with a U.V. resistant cloth (like sunbrella) that had matched the color of his cars interior.

If you do not find the thick U.V. Resistant colored paper to glue to the package tray, it probably will not look like the original colored package trays and/or the replacement colored package trays that are advertised for sale. 

But you can also paint the pressed fiberboard with a U.V. resistant spray paint. But sometimes the pressed fiberboard will absorb some of the first few coats of paint. so you might have to use several coats of paint to get good results.

Maybe one of the other members can give you more information about this subject.

Edited by dave302 - 02-September-2014 at 6:56PM
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2014 at 10:31AM
If you do paint fiberboard, give it a coat of BIN primer first. Let it dry completely before painting.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2014 at 9:08AM
72-76 sedans use the same tray as 72-76 formal roof coupes. Measure one from your car and then contact Eckler's or someone and ask for dimensions on their formal roof replacement one.

Or make your own.
wmcksmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmcksmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2014 at 2:09PM
Great ideas guys. I appreciate the input. I'll let you know what i decide to go with.
71 Torino 500 4 door
 Post Reply Post Reply