The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My "story"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grand_marquis_gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My "story"
    Posted: 02-September-2014 at 8:57PM
Fastback Torinos have always been my favorite car. Ever since I have been old enough to bleed Ford blue.

After years of things happening, I finally see myself financially stable enough to buy one...in a year. I am an Active Duty USAF guy and after years of being dirt poor (living paycheck to paycheck), I am stable. I retrained to be a C-130 Loadmaster. With the change of career field, I picked up a sizable bonus. The last couple of installments I received had to go towards paying bills, such as paying off both of our daily drivers. So I have decided, with my wife's blessing, that next August I WILL have a Torino in our driveway.

I spend a lot of time window shopping on Craigslist (helps pass the time over here in Afghanistan) and it makes me want one. Bad. For years, I focused on owning and building the panther platform (grand marquis/crown vic) and had a couple really nice 2dr panthers. I did spend waaaaay too much money building my old 1987 crown vic with deployment money, and kicked myself in the tail because I could have built a really nice Torino!

So, I will be in the market for a 68-69, or 72-73 fastback. Both have their benefits to me. Hopefully I can find one here from a member local to me (Texas) or even though Craigslist.

I just wanted to throw this one out there. I am sure some of you can identify with my struggle!

Tom
wideone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2014 at 12:27AM
Thank you for your service Tom. Get home safe and start on your Torino.  You came to the right place.
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2014 at 12:50AM
Welcome Tom, and thank you for your service. My second career in the AF also had me working with C-130s as Sheet Metal/ Structural Repair. Great birds.
My first Torino was a 69 GT fastback, and the fastbacks of the Torinos and Montegos have always been a favorite of mine too. The roofline has always held a special appeal to me. (It may have all started when my first car was a 69 Mach 1 that all came with that roofline.)
Past choices/ regrets are just that, in the past.  If I hadn't foolishly sold my 66 Mustang Shelby GT350 years ago, it could have been part of my retirement account now. Good luck on your window shopping ( I am currently doing the exact same thing looking for my next one.)
Keep your head down over there and return home safely.
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"
Hoosiermike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosiermike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2014 at 12:51AM
Thank you for your service.  And Welcome!

Mike Yeager
1972 Gran Torino 4dr
1972 GTS sport roof
'13 Toyota Tundra TRD
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2014 at 1:13AM
Welcome!  Good luck with your search!!
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2014 at 1:44AM
Welcome, and as some have already expressed, thank you for putting your life on the line for this country and it's people.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2014 at 2:09AM
its always good to have the wife's blessing!  and i certainly will tell you how much we appreciate not only yours but your family's sacrifice as well.  thank you for your service...  
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2014 at 4:01AM
Welcome Tom, where a bouts in Texas are you from? Hurry home and many thanks as well!
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
Montego01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montego01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2014 at 7:25AM
Welcome
Thank you for serving our country and good luck on your Torino search
Scott
72 Montego GT 429 build thread
1966 Chevy C10
1973 Montego MX
2004 Bonneville GXP
75ranchero460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75ranchero460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2014 at 8:56AM
Welcome! Good luck with your search!
Gary

Ranchero=Fun

1975 Ranchero GT 460

1971 Torino GT

1962 (custom) Econoline

1967 Cougar

2002 Honda Shadow ACE 750 (sold)
antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2014 at 9:13AM
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for your service and finding your Fastback will be a cinch on this site.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
cyclone21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyclone21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2014 at 9:54AM

Thank you for your service to our country. I have all ways
like the 68/69 Torino’s/Cyclones. They remind me of my 67 Mustang fastback that
I lost shortly after moving to Atlanta. My Cyclone can finally take its place.

68 Cyclone GT 390 S-code Red bucket seats
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2014 at 1:37PM
Welcome to the forum. Be safe brother, & A BIG THANK YOU to you and everyone else who make it possible for us to enjoy our toys over here.Wink 
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2014 at 2:48PM
Welcome, I see you chose the right years body wise.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2014 at 5:31PM
thank you, and welcome tom!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
grand_marquis_gt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grand_marquis_gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2014 at 4:08AM
Thanks y'all.  I am headed back to Abilene TX (where I am stationed) in a few days.  Moving into the temporary "transient tents" very soon.  It's a joy to see Little Rock tails coming in to replace us!

And kychevyguy, we had a few incidents out here with bent metal, so you guys are indispensable!!  Oops.

Tom

Edited by grand_marquis_gt - 04-September-2014 at 4:09AM
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2014 at 6:21AM
Originally posted by grand_marquis_gt grand_marquis_gt wrote:

Thanks y'all.  I am headed back to Abilene TX (where I am stationed) in a few days.  Moving into the temporary "transient tents" very soon.  It's a joy to see Little Rock tails coming in to replace us!

And kychevyguy, we had a few incidents out here with bent metal, so you guys are indispensable!!  Oops.

Tom

We just did our best at keeping the birds in the air, it was you loadmasters that packed 'em full to support the guys.
When I owned my 69 Torino GT fastback, I was living in Big Spring TX, and sold it to a guy in Abilene right down the road. White with red stripes. But of course this was over 30 years ago. Good luck on your search though.
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"
 Post Reply Post Reply