The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: leak
    Posted: 07-September-2014 at 10:31AM
Found what I though was a vac.leak. It seems one of the pipes from head to dis.thing I disconnected has a leak its rotted through.I did not dis.in the first place because I was worried the bolts might break.Guess now I have no choice.
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2014 at 12:24PM
You have a pic? Is it the thermactor tube at the rear of the cylinder heads with a check valve on it?
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2014 at 12:42PM
yes one is rotted through.next to the check valve.
Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2014 at 2:54PM
....Same issue.... removed mine altogether...engine runs better...
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

Trickflow TFS-51400265 or Ford F4ZZ-6E086-A

Rockatansky turned me on to these...simply screws into the back of the head...problem solved.
"I deeply admire the men who founded this country, and I think we ought to know more about them and how they lived and the force and courage they had.
Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2014 at 1:11AM
Thanks I am just afraid the old stud will break off in the block.I could not turn it when I did away with smog system. I just plugged the valve hole.
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2014 at 1:02PM
anyone ever tried to remove the thermactor tubes or what ever while still in car.I removed left one if right is the same length it appears it will hit fire wall before its out far enough.
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2014 at 1:32PM
I never remember having any problems when removing the thermactor tubes. Although there may have been certain applications where there could have been clearance issues. If I remember correctly there were two types of tube retaining bolts
1.) a regular bolt that clamped the tube to the head
2.) a hollow banjo style bolt with a huge head, about 1" head size.
the banjo style  screwed into the actual themactor port.
The banjo bolt could get frozen in the tube flange. If this is the issue try cutting the tube close to the flange and loose the banjo bolt and turn the flange out with the bolt.
 Could you post some pix? 
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2014 at 2:11PM
It is the 13mm bolt holding the tube to the block.Lift side easy. right side almost no clearance.Wish I could post pic. I have to learn how.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2014 at 3:23PM
They should come right out. putting the plug in can be problematic as the exhaust gasses and soot usually ruin the threads. If you cut the rectangular parts off the thermactor pipe, you can install them backwards to serve as block-offs. just give the flat side a little smear of Ultra copper.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2014 at 12:56AM
Originally posted by fordpower fordpower wrote:

Thanks I am just afraid the old stud will break off in the block.I could not turn it when I did away with smog system. I just plugged the valve hole.
 Same here..... I had clearance issues as well.....plugged the two holes with some 2 part epoxy...problem solved...will address the issue(s) if the engine and/or heads are removed by installing the plugs.  
"I deeply admire the men who founded this country, and I think we ought to know more about them and how they lived and the force and courage they had.
Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2014 at 1:41AM
Well 6am removed valve cover. now could reach 13mm stud.Removed will try the reverse idea and see what happens.Thanks all
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2014 at 2:13PM
Oh yeah, those bolts back then were 1/2". we don't need no stinkin' metric! HaHahaHa.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2014 at 12:13PM
Well these were 13mm 1/2 was not good fit. Finished last night left side took about 5min right side I won't say but would not rec removing the little block. cut the pipe and plug it.
 Post Reply Post Reply