The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

front clip changeover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote william199 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: front clip changeover
    Posted: 21-September-2014 at 12:17PM
I have a 74 torino elite
I would like to change front clip to a grand torino front end (with 4 headlight front end)
what cars can I get a front clip from that will fit?
thanks
William riker
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2014 at 12:32PM

edit: The body lines change a little as the years went along, some mixing of models would look very odd.

The Gran Torino body lines aren't a perfect match for the Elite and other intermediates. The others would be a better matching swap if you might like those.

Edited by 72 RS 351 - 03-October-2014 at 4:44PM
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2014 at 12:46PM
the lower fenders of the Elite are more in the style of the Mercury's & 77-79 Torino/Ranchero LTD II

1972+ Ford fenders will probably interfere with the door opening & certainly won't match the body lines

I suppose you could graft the Elite lower fenders behind the wheel opening to the Torino upper fenders FTW

Edited by Rockatansky - 27-September-2014 at 12:50PM
72 GT Ute

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2014 at 1:04PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

the lower fenders of the Elite are more in the style of the Mercury's & 77-79 Torino/Ranchero LTD II

1972+ Ford fenders will probably interfere with the door opening & certainly won't match the body lines

I suppose you could graft the Elite lower fenders behind the wheel opening to the Torino upper fenders FTW

Okay, so the body lines also changed in the lower fender areas through those years? I never looked at them in the early 80's for ideas of outside changes. I explored how the interiors changed in various models and years, but only cosmetically. That's long time ago I hate to say, and the memories too.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2014 at 1:47PM
Torino seems to have a different shape and door cut than Montego72-76/Cougar74-76/Elite74-76. Montego/Cougar/Elite use the same basic fender, and Montego/Cougar use a 4 headlight front Header panel which should bolt on.
The hoods are different between Elite and  Montego/Cougar are different, but will swap with a header change.
Later clips from 77-79 T-bird, Cougar, LTD ll will fit, with some fiddling, and line up good, but that is an entire clip swap (except inner fenders and core support)
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2014 at 10:11AM
For the elite since it follows the Montego body lines: You can use 73-76 montego ,74-79 Cougar, 77-79 LTD II/T-bird (if you want something really interesting) The Torino. Gran Torino have there own bodylines.   
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2014 at 2:45PM
If you're interested, I have a '72 Montego front end, including the '72 frame section that you'd need to convert over.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
william199 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote william199 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2014 at 1:06PM
I guess I will have to get a pair of doors also to change over to the sport front end
thanks
William riker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2014 at 10:05PM
Leave your doors alone you will not need to change your doors to do any of the front clip changeovers.  All bodylines will match up.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2014 at 12:07AM
Originally posted by Dan the ranchero man Dan the ranchero man wrote:

Leave your doors alone you will not need to change your doors to do any of the front clip changeovers.  All bodylines will match up.

YUP, Dan is correct!
The "body lines" he is referring to and others is the front of the DOOR contour.
ALL the 72-79 cars are the same!

The different "body lines" are the in the sheet metal on the side of the cars.
Gran Torino has a line running down the side of the car from front to back.
Cougar and Elite have a lower body line along the bottom of the quarters, doors fenders.

The Montego is a good option for the 4-light onto an Elite body.
Depending on which nose you chose you will have to get the hood and front frame horns to go with it.
The Elite hood does not match with ANY of the early noses.

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2014 at 2:11AM
I would suggest a 1972-up Montego front clip. I have frame horns if no one else does for a '72 only swap. All the other year Montegos will bolt on and the body lines will match. A Torino clip will not work, as stated above, because of the radically different body lines. If you are contemplating the Montego swap, Montego GT's have a scooped hood that, while a bear to find, has a fantastic look on these cars. It will bolt on a standard Montego setup just fine.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2014 at 9:04AM
here is a montego front clip on a 77-79 ranchero. This same clip would work nice on your elite.

Post Reply Post Reply