The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

clock conversion to quartz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: clock conversion to quartz
    Posted: 19-November-2014 at 3:16PM
Who has converted their clock to Quartz movement? Did you perform it yourself? Whats involved? If not, who did you have make the upgrade? My original clock didn't keep the correct time, and neither did the NOS one I replaced it with.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2014 at 3:19PM
I have the sport cluster.  I used a conversion kit from Instrument Services Inc.

Excellent instructions and not hard to do.  Mine has worked flawless since the conversion and actually keeps time correctly.  Let me know if you have any more questions,
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2014 at 12:34AM
This probably won't help you any, but the previous owner of my wagon had the clock sent off for a quartz conversion.  Unfortunately, I don't know who we sent it to.  The movement looks good, but it does not keep time correctly.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2014 at 2:43AM
John,

I was wanting to take my clock apart to clean but could never figure out how to get the setting stem off! If you discover the secret, PLEASE SHARE!!

THANKS

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2014 at 7:03AM
Originally posted by TV 2M8O TV 2M8O wrote:

John,

I was wanting to take my clock apart to clean but could never figure out how to get the setting stem off! If you discover the secret, PLEASE SHARE!!

THANKS

Joe,

on the sport clock, there is a small screw at the end of the knob inside a small recessed hole.  I am not sure if the standard cluster has the same setup.

Vince

GTS.org Admin
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2014 at 7:55AM
Vince,

Here is what the standard dash clock stem looks like............

I'm at a loss figuring it out!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2014 at 2:46PM
I guess the end doesn't thread onto the shaft?  That's different from the sport cluster's, I wonder why Ford would have used a different design? 

Maybe ISI might know how it comes apart if you contact them?  I think they will also rebuild your clock if you send it to them.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2014 at 11:44PM
I have tried to "unscrew" the knob from the shaft mechanism but can't figure a way to lock the shaft to prevent the hands from rotating as I attempt to back off the knob.
I guess I'll contact Instrument Services for help....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2014 at 1:10AM
Back when I was at the Dealership we used to send these out on a regular basis. I wonder if ISI is where we sent them? I'll see if my sister remembers, she was the parts manager back then. It's just a pain in the ass that every time you get in the car....you have to set the clock! I may convert both my clocks assemblies if its not outrageously priced.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2014 at 12:57PM
I made the call to ISI today, I was told that the quartz conversion for the standard dash clock (4.5") has to be done inhouse by ISI. The cost of conversion/detailing is $130 plus shipping. Turn around time is about 3wks for the conversion and 2wk test period. I was told that they offer the "do it yourself" kit for the Gauge package clock (2.5") but I didn't get the pricing on that....but I will. I'll be sending my clock out next week.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2014 at 1:04PM
Will it slip thru the lens? See how fat the post is at the point it goes thru the lens?
I had my clock apart in about a dozen pieces, to oil and "unstick" it. I don't remember if/how the knob came off, or I just worked around it. Mine has the "flat" lenses so it may be different anyway.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2018 at 8:12AM
Originally posted by 75GranMan 75GranMan wrote:

I made the call to ISI today, I was told that the quartz conversion for the standard dash clock (4.5") has to be done inhouse by ISI. The cost of conversion/detailing is $130 plus shipping. Turn around time is about 3wks for the conversion and 2wk test period. I was told that they offer the "do it yourself" kit for the Gauge package clock (2.5") but I didn't get the pricing on that....but I will. I'll be sending my clock out next week.

John,

I'm going to get my clock boxed up and ready for shipment to ISI next weekend. How is your conversion working these days? Care to share a pic or two??

THANKS

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2018 at 10:25AM
is the knob captive in the lens and just aligns with the other side like an old knob TV channeler?
72 GT Ute

TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2018 at 2:07PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

is the knob captive in the lens and just aligns with the other side like an old knob TV channeler?

No, it's captive to the clock mechanism somehow. Had the lens loose but couldn't get it to separate from the clock body.  I'm not sure how the heck it's attached... tried every which way to get it loose but quit before I broke something. I'll just send it in and let the experts deal with it!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2018 at 2:58PM
can you push in or pull out while you turn the knob counter clockwise? should unscrew if memory serves me correct, been a LONG time since I took one of those apart on my old 74 Ranchero.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2019 at 12:11PM
Well I finally sent my clock to Instrument Services for conversion to a quartz movement. Got a message today they received it and the cost to restore and convert will be $148 (includes return postage). I'll post a couple pics of it upon it arrival back to me.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2019 at 5:03AM
Got my clock back from Instrument Services this week and they did a nice job cleaning it up while they has it apart for quartz conversion...

Hooked it up to the battery to verify that it was working properly and all was good. Can't wait until it's time to install it for good!!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2019 at 9:41AM
Clap
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply