The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engines...how loyal are you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: How Ford does your Ford have to be?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [1.52%]
8 [12.12%]
40 [60.61%]
10 [15.15%]
7 [10.61%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2015 at 6:45AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

is your suburban 4X4? if so also check the front CV axles! i just bought a new pair for my s-10 blazer, i've already replaced one hub (stupid design IMO) and now it needs both new hubs, axles, pitman arm and idler arm. i'm sure that the 33x12.50 tires aren't too kind on the bearings but still the o'reily's hub only has about 400 miles and it is sloppy again Angry i'd think it should last longer than that! Confused

2WD truck, stock 265/75R16 tires (about 31.6" diameter, 11 inches wide), and the hubs failed because truck has 248K on it and the last couple winters here in Ohio have left really huge potholes. One of those was large enough to destroy the left side hub. I guess replacing it made the right side one angry and when I pulled it it was loose to the point you could move the tire/wheel an inch in any direction with no weight on it. Tight ball joints. Tight control arms. Tight lug nuts. The hub came apart into pieces when we pulled it. These trucks don't have a way to replace just the wheel bearing. You get hub, bearing, lug studs, and ABS sensor as one piece. Looks like this:

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2015 at 1:43PM
oh i know! i don't have ABS but same thing, no way to adjust or service them, that's what i meant by "stupid design" yeah they are easy to change but!...
 i've heard that the timkin ones are the best (about $200 a pair) i don't care really about the cost as long as they last and aren't a cheap POS!! i don't want to spent $200 for a $50 POS Ouch
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2015 at 2:11PM
CJ,
  Lately, even the Timken brand is hit and miss as far as quality goes. We have 5 Ford SD's and have put front unitized bearing hubs on all of them. Timken units used to go 100K then they got cheap(not in dollars but in quality) and they would go out after 10K(way too early for a $300+ part), tried a cheaper version off of Ebay($150 for the pair #515021) and have been on my personal F250 4x4 for 5 years and over 85K. Autozone sells a decent unitized bearing hubs but once again, they are hit and miss on quality. Good luck!

Edited by aquartlow - 09-November-2015 at 2:12PM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2015 at 7:16AM
I re-read this thread every so often just because it's always interesting to see what folks have to say on the topic. I'm sticking by my first post but will elaborate and bring some of my tech opinions into this. Since we have thoroughly discussed engine choices and downfalls of different brands I'd like to introduce something else. I feel like the transmission options with an engine is more important. I love a manual purely for the feel and excitement it brings to driving so I might be slightly biased. I respect a well designed dual clutch or automatic and recognize those are the paths to faster lap times in most cases. Most of my engine preferences come from what can easily get bolted to those engines. Any clever builder/tuner can make power and torque out of almost any engine but getting that power to the ground in a fun and reliable way is another story.  The Lexus/Toyota 1UZ V8 is prime example of a great engine with tons of power potential and almost no easy and fun way to get the power to the ground. It's basically an LS with DOHC. The problem is I don't think it ever came with a manual option and the auto it came with is weak and slow. In order to make it work, some super custom adapters are required to go to something like a T56. There are tons of great engines out there but way less great transmissions. So that leads me to the next question for the Ford die-hards out there. 
Once you build your 600ft/lb cleveland stroker motor to run with the power house Chevy strokers, what are you going to use to get that power to the ground in a fun, connected, street-able manor? Are you going to sacrifice that OD gear and go with a toploader or kitted c6 power-robber slush-box or, are you going to go with a large input T56 that was originally designed for the Viper and later adapted to every high performance LS? There is a reason the LS is so popular. Not only is it a great engine but it has great bolt on transmission options for RWD applications. I'd rather have a mild engine and a fun transmission than tons of power and a transmission that shifts like crap and sends parts through the floor. Just something to think about.
-Billy Conturo
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2015 at 2:37PM
Originally posted by Nuggets Nuggets wrote:

They're all pretty similar. Remember the Torino is designed by the same guy who did the chevelle

I have never heard this? Are you talking the exterior design?  And who's the guy?
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2015 at 2:15AM
I agree with Billy. I also prefer a manual transmission and am converting the red wagon from a 3 speed to a 5 speed, will be doing a 5 speed swap on my '76, doing the 4.6/6 speed Cobra setup in my old Cougar, and have seriously contemplated going with a manual in the Squire eventually. Shifting is way too much fun and really transforms most all street-driven cars for the better. I do not keep my cars in the garage, nor are they Sunday drivers. I drive mine year-round and put the miles on them, so I have a pretty good handle on what works nowadays if I want to have fun without constantly watching the gas gauge or stress about kicking it on the highway regularly.

My opinion...

Unfortunately, you cannot rely on an outdated street 3 speed automatic in these times for optimum performance combined with economy and keeping an engine in it's prime sweet spot during acceleration. Just not enough gears and overdrive. Remove the 3.50's in your 9 inch and install 2.49's to get the highway economy but kill the performance. Keep the 3.50's and kill the m.p.g. Ford's overdrive automatic transmissions are notoriously bad. Now I know there will be people who say their Ford AOD transmissions have 300K and still go strong (my own F150 has 231K on it's AOD and shifts like new), but the vast majority do fail early, at least before they should, and are absolutely not known for performance applications. A Toploader is a fine transmission for what it is, but there are much better options out there, and it is not known for it's smoothness nor it's efficiency. That leaves a 5 speed or 6 speed, Gear Vendors, or go with something performance-built costing $$. A T-56 is just the best option for durability, street fun, and performance/economy. It is also affordable, adaptable, tough, and readily available.

I say all this because I don't baby my cars, I drive them. Daily. Mine have left me stranded on several occasions, but I learn more every time. That is precisely the reason I was looking for an alternative drivetrain that I could install to allow me to enjoy the car in any weather, reliably. Yes, I did buy a complete LS drivetrain to install in the red wagon, but I decided against it primarily because I didn't want to muddy the waters and also wanted to go with the 5 speed combo I had on hand.

Looking at it from my thin bank account:

I'd like 500 horsepower, reliability, stand-alone harness, serpentine, EFI and overdrive.

Build a typical SBF or BBF/AOD combo plus all the trinkets to that level is going to cost me around $9K to $14K. Cannot find a used, low-mileage combo anywhere. Coyote setups require too much work and are as expensive.

I can find a used low mileage GM LS-based setup with stand-alone wiring harness, CPU, AOD, serpentine that has the above-mentioned requirements for $4 - $8K. And get an install kit for around $500. This daily-driver combination will live happily for many years, get better economy, and I can drive to AutoZone and get any part I need. Cheap. It is also lighter in weight and more compact. Not that I would go this route to completion, but I could.

Now, I am not trying to upset anyone, I am just speaking from my own perspective. I love Ford cars and Ford engines. I do. I do NOT like Chevrolet vehicles at all. But I also recognize the fact that there are other brands of drivetrains that honestly have the technological jump on Ford and far more aftermarket support.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2015 at 4:51AM
Joe, you know that you didn't do the LS swap because I might never speak to you again. I won't run an LS for the same reason some people won't root for the Crimson Tide Football team, UK Basketball or the Dallas Cowboys.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2015 at 4:54AM
Originally posted by antlerfiend antlerfiend wrote:

Joe, you know that you didn't do the LS swap because I might never speak to you again. I won't run an LS for the same reason some people won't root for the Crimson Tide Football team, UK Basketball or the Dallas Cowboys.

Hey now...for the record the Dallas Cowboys are AMERICA's team! LOL

Don't beat me up guys! Wink

Edited by gpd294 - 11-November-2015 at 4:56AM
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2015 at 5:07AM
Sometimes I wonder what all would be required to put a LS in a Torino, and we already have a member with a LS Torino. Surely it's easier than cutting off the frame to put a Coyote in. I'd put a Coyote in, but the LS is probably easier to install and I don't care about the drivetrain matching the car's brand. 
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2015 at 8:56AM
I shutter at the thought of Chevy powered Torinos but they are your cars and you can do what you want.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2015 at 9:06AM
I won't do it. Just too afraid of seeing a Kentucky Wildcat fan in a Jason mask with a torch and can of gas by my car, LOL.

On a brighter note, a Ranchero with a Cummings 4bt would be cool. Turbo that sucka and get stump-pulling torque with 30 mpg.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2015 at 9:49AM
I wouldn't take it out on your car. Your car can't help that you are cheap and want to take the easy way out. LOL
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2015 at 9:50AM
Hahahah..wait...oh yeah I am cheap. Hahahaha.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2015 at 11:17AM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

I won't do it. Just too afraid of seeing a Kentucky Wildcat fan in a Jason mask with a torch and can of gas by my car, LOL..
You think You're scared??? Your CARS have nightmares of YOU coming after THEM with a SAWZALL LOL (Insert snare-drum riff here!)
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2015 at 11:31AM
So Joe....is the reason you don't keep your cars in the garage because you don't want them to get spoiled? Or
because they won't fit?.......   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2015 at 1:44AM
Randy, I never thought of that. If so, they should all run perfectly well to avoid the trailer...

Stan, I cannot lie. They just won't fit.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Lukalele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lukalele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2024 at 1:59PM
I know im reviving an almost decade old thread, but who has the LS swapped Torino? I have a 76 Ford Elite that I ripped the 351m out of and am searching for mounts for an LS. 
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2024 at 2:37AM
Get a Coyote engine, those are faster in stock form than a 2003/04 Mustang Cobra. A new F150 4WD will outrun most old sports cars, the 1/4 mile time is 13.4 seconds, stock. Hunt a used 2015 or newer F150 engine and trans, wiring and all, Leave it stock, just concentrate on the swap stuff.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2024 at 5:05PM
Originally posted by Lukalele Lukalele wrote:

I know im reviving an almost decade old thread, but who has the LS swapped Torino? I have a 76 Ford Elite that I ripped the 351m out of and am searching for mounts for an LS. 

There was someone years ago from the middle east that had done an LS swap in a Torino, but they only made a post or two and never came back.

Other than that, the only other one I know of us this project that is currently on going:

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Inkara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2024 at 5:19PM
I was about to say there's someone I saw on Facebook with a 1976 Elite they're swapping in an LS out of a truck he got for $800, but I think you're the same guy. That body looks to be in nice shape.
1972 Gran Torino station wagon, light blue, 351C 2V, prior owner upgraded to 4V (2V heads), originally had a C4 but prior owner changed to C6 for some reason.
351CID View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 351CID Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2024 at 1:35AM
20 years ago, I picked up a 73 Ranchero GT for $202 in Norfolk, VA. It had been wrecked, but it only involved the bumper and right side fender. The guy was planning on rebuilding the car, but a divorce changed all plans and he had to get rid of it. He put it on eBay and I won it. I also have a clear title in my name.

I bought the car for the new poly urethane front suspension and the Centerline wheels. It also had a rear sway bar. All these parts went on my GTS.

As I was doing my work, I discovered this car is 100% rust free. I have disassembled this car to the bare bones....no rust to be found (other than some flash rust). I sealed it with Rust Encapsulater to seal and preserve it.  It was from CA and apparently well taken care of. The navy guy I bought it from was transferred to Norfolk and brought it with him.

I've has this car in my shop ever since because I didn't want such a prime example to deteriorate.

Five years ago, I was contacted by a guy who was looking for a full frame intermediate to build a hot rod with. We chatted back and forth and he came to see the car. He agreed it was in amazing shape and offered me $3000 for the car and all it's parts. I told him I had sold the 400 / C-6, but would throw in a 460 / C-6 for him. That's when he stated that "Oh, I don't need and engine since I plan on doing a twin turbo LS". That's when the deal fell apart. I just explained to him that I didn't save this car just for some idiot to fornicate it with another LS swap. I walked away from a $3000 profit.

Do what you want with your car. I will not participate or enable you. I've cross bred many different engines into chassis; but my Ford's have always been (and will be) "Powered by Ford".

Just my opinion on this subject.
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2024 at 2:57AM
I agree with your message!
Wixbullitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wixbullitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2024 at 5:00AM
Well said, if you want a Chevy motor buy a chevelle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123