The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is a 351 w in 73' Torino worth building

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heikks` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is a 351 w in 73' Torino worth building
    Posted: 28-January-2008 at 4:31AM
Is a 351w in my 73 torino worth building.  Or should I just put in a bigger engine.  Everything I have seen for this motor this year is that it is not easy to build because of restrictions etc..

Thanks for any help,  Heikks
Heikks
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2008 at 10:16AM
HELL YEAH!!Build it.You can stroke it like I am doing and get an easy 500hp without the weight penalty of a big block.You must be looking in the wrong places because these are just bigger 302 motors,tons of performance parts out there!!
HEIKKS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HEIKKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2008 at 5:12AM

Thanks Starsky 76.  Do you have a 351w?  What do you think it would run to complete?  parts, carb, and intake. 

Thanks, Heikks

starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2008 at 10:52AM
What are you looking to do?freshen up the bottom end with stock heads or have the block bored say .030 larger,forged pistons,aluminum heads,edelbrock air gap intake?If you do a full engine rebuild,bore/hone the block,new pistons fitted,regrind crank,you'll spend about $800 just in machine work.A full motor complete with aluminum heads,intake,holley carb,you'll spend like $4000,and thats if you can build it yourself.I'm going to stroke my 351w to 408 cubes with a stroker kit.Fully forged internals,roller cam and rockers,with fuel injection.I have my own auto repair/mustang performance shop,so I build motors for customers an all my own stuff.I'll still have like $6000-7000 in my motor with parts and machine work including the fuel inj setup.See my other post on the 408w build up.It all depends on your budget,as the saying goes speed costs money!
HEIKKS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HEIKKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2008 at 1:50AM
I am looking to put about $2,000.00 into the engine.  Do you think I can do much for that?

Thanks, Heikks...
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2008 at 3:55PM
If you build it your self you could probably stay close to that budget,but you'll have to use your stock heads for now.figure $800 for machine work to block,reusing your stock crank and rods.figure $350-500 to freshen your heads,$400-500 for a master rebuild kit with cam and lifters,Yoy could get a 4 barrel aluminum intake for less than $200-that puts you at $2000,just need a carb and some small misc.I use northern auto parts.com sometimes,they have great prices on master rebuild kits,they include pretty much everything.
HEIKKS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HEIKKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2008 at 3:55AM

THANKS Starsky76, that sounds like a plan.

Heikks

starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2008 at 10:42AM
Now get to work!Smile
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2008 at 2:40AM
Don't forget to include a book on porting heads and a kit to do the work.  (and maybe some time searching around for pictures over on a small block oriented site, I believe there is one on Network54, maybe search for "Ford Windsor forum")

It's worth the time and effort, especially on stock smog heads.

:-)

Jim
1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
Psychotic_Tendencies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychotic_Tendencies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2008 at 8:28AM
I did'nt know they had a 351W for the Torino. Mine has a 351C and it's the original motor. Im only the second owner of the car. My motor is locked up now but I have big plans this up coming summer for about a $4,000.00 rebuild maybe more I don't know yet.

Edited by Psychotic_Tendencies - 19-October-2008 at 8:28AM
!1973 Ford Gran Torino station wagon!
capt john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capt john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2008 at 5:44PM
I have a 351w in my Bronco, you should see that puppy get it on!! J&E, Babe Erson full roller everything, 30 over with a steel stroker crank. The best was the Trick Flow twisted wedge aluminum heads from Summit Racing, A.R.P.and a lot of other little things and a Paxton sn93 super charger with 9 lbs. of boost, she will light up the 38's all around.DAMN RIGHT BUILD IT!!!!!
death to tuners!
Psychotic_Tendencies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychotic_Tendencies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2008 at 8:07PM
OH YEAH! GOTTA LOVE THE 351!
!1973 Ford Gran Torino station wagon!
351BBGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 351BBGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2008 at 4:57PM
if you build it, the hp will come! haha
cheesy i know
'73 Gran Torino Sport "H" Code
Out with the Cleveland, In with the Windsor
Cleveland build in the near future
 Post Reply Post Reply