The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cheap Paint Job

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheap Paint Job
    Posted: 09-January-2015 at 4:07AM
As some of you know, I am trying to get rid of some vehicles that belong to a buddy of mine. One of them is a Falcon wagon that is badly in need of paint. Not wanting to spend a lot of money that I will never recoup, and wanting the curb appeal of the car to increase, I started thinking about my old friend Rustoleum.

Several years ago I read an article on a MOPAR forum about painting cars with a roller and Rustoleum paint. At the time, I had a Bronco II that I traded for to get parts off and flip, so I tried using the Black Rustoleum that comes in gallon cans (along with other colors) widely available at Lowe's, WalMart, etc. Not wanting to waste a bunch of time, I Scotchbrited the truck, then took a roller and rolled on the paint unthinned one hot summer day. 2 coats and it was done. Looked pretty bad at first, but as it cured over a few days, it smoothed out nicely. In fact, the kid that bought it works at Sears across from my building. He did buff it out a bit and has kept wax on it, but the paint still looks nice after 4 years.

The correct way to do this is to thin the paint with mineral spirits 50/50, use high-density rollers and 5-7 thin coats (sanding between every coat or two). Let cure, then cut and buff it. I have seen numerous vehicles done this way online, so I am going to make a spot in the garage and try their method out on the Falcon. It calls for warm weather to do correctly, but I cannot wait until Spring to do this, so I am going to try it out in the next few weeks. Has anyone ever tried this method and what were your results?

I will take pictures of the progress as I go, in case anyone is interested. Ordinarily, I would just mask the car and spray it, but there is so much stuff of several of my buddies in the garage, overspray would be an issue. Besides, I am curious as to how it will turn out.   

Edited by unlovedford - 09-January-2015 at 4:07AM
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2015 at 4:15AM
Here is a pretty extensive discussion about it as well:

Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
starsky460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2015 at 4:35AM
This guy did a Rustoleum thing too on youtube.  I believe there are 8 or 9 video's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RA-hqj_UBQ
Carl
1976 Gran Torino Starsky & Hutch Limited Edition
FACTORY 460 c.u. engine
3:55 gears
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2015 at 4:54AM
I fixed the link for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RA-hqj_UBQ
There is a good thread about this subject, it is about 230 pages long and it spans throughout an eight year period.
Almost every possible question about this subject has been asked and answered there. To see it Click here.

Edited by dave302 - 05-December-2015 at 4:32PM
starsky460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2015 at 4:58AM
Dave,
thanks for fixing the link !

Carl
Carl
1976 Gran Torino Starsky & Hutch Limited Edition
FACTORY 460 c.u. engine
3:55 gears
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2015 at 5:01AM
Your welcome.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2015 at 5:27AM
Never tried the roller, but I have sprayed Rustoleum. Use the "Professional" Rustoleum. Thin it and add "Japan Dryer" or Valspar hardener and the paint will dry faster and last longer.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2015 at 5:27AM
There is a member here who has painted a few cars with this method. To see his thread Click here.

To see his collection of roller painted cars Click here.

There is also another member here who has used this method to paint a car. To see his thread Click here.

Edited by dave302 - 05-December-2015 at 4:28PM
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2015 at 6:12AM
I can't help with any cheaper paint job, but the Maaco places still can do a decent job for resale cars. I know a guy in TX with a black Mark VII that you'd not guess has a Maaco paint job on it.

For a wild alternative, look at the vinyl paints and wraps, the paintable chrome choices, and chome vinyls, etc etc, on the http://www.alsacorp.com/ site. They have tons of amazing finishing materials, unfortunately they are mostly for keepers. They run sales of 50-75% off of single items, but you have to be looking for them and ready to grab them.

Edited by 72 RS 351 - 09-January-2015 at 6:14AM
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
SirDan89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDan89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2015 at 6:56AM
You can paint in the winter but you need a heater. If you paint in the cold it will take forever to dry and wont lay down as nicely.

Also from what I've read doing the rustoleom paint job is cheap but takes a ton of time and effort. Figure out how much time about you think it will take and figure out what your time is worth to you and see if it is worth doing. It very well might be easier to tape it off and bring it to maaco. if you do go maaco tape everything off yourself.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2015 at 11:00AM
If you had the room to spray, I would think about Duplicolor Paintshop system. It's a modern(ish) lacquer that works well for the price. This is my brother's cutlass. He painted it about 5 years ago.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2015 at 12:55PM
you can get a decent paint job at maaco for a few hundred bucks they can lay it down smooth and quick (that's how they make it by volume!) but they don't spend a lot of time and effort on dents and prep! so you do all the bodywork and prep and masking, have them shoot it and you reassemble anything to go back on and you got a decent cheap paint job. i turn down paint jobs every day- people ask me how much? i tell them $10,000, they're like what???!!! when you figure my time to do it right and what the materials cost, that's about right! so i give them the same above advise which is true!!!

randy: what year is that cutlass? looks nice!Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2015 at 1:37PM
72 cutlass supreme
Randy
1979 T-Bird
tonym9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonym9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2015 at 12:19PM
I posted this a few years back on the torinocobra site. It's my 72 and I did all the work for the rustoleum roller paint job. Lots of pics and how to. It'll work, it's ALOT of work, it chips easily, but it is easily touched up, doesn't look too bad. 

I'd rather do a falcon than a torino for sure...

I probably put this in there but if not you need to do fenders and hood etc first so you become proficient before you attack the roof and quarters where you don't have a paint break body line

http://www.torinocobra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24284
72 GTSFB
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2015 at 1:19PM
Dee'z Toy coming out of the shop got hit by the Mac tools truck so it needs body work.
I talked with the paint shop.
I am going to strip EVERYTHING off the truck, sand it down with 320 and have it completely ready for just a couple small spots of body work and then they will spray it and will be fairly cheap then I put it back together!

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2015 at 2:28AM
I've sprayed plenty of vehicles with Automotive paint products (in booths, garages, under carports, even out in a driveway)and did a couple with the Duplicolor system outside. All turned out well, although the Duplicolor system is a bit slow to cure properly. The Bronco I rolled looked decent, but it was never intended to be a looker - just one color and presentable. Bought the industrial Rustoleum a couple of weeks ago in White, Red, Black and Blue. Will give it a try after the weather breaks. Most likely will sand and spray the Fairlane (to keep it covered while I get it roadworthy), the LTD (since it will not be kept) and the primered Falcon wagon (if it does not sell beforehand).
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
 Post Reply Post Reply