The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72 mount part #s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 mount part #s
    Posted: 23-January-2015 at 1:58PM
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2015 at 2:01PM
These #s are the original 72 part #s. These may still be out there at green sales or one of the other obsolete part suppliers
Randy
1979 T-Bird
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2015 at 3:56AM
Interesting. Would there be any reason these would be different from the 73-up big block mounts?

I know when I got mine I just got a decent set of used ones off ebay. Seem fine, but they are still used…

Had a set of the Crites mounts as well (still have them in a box, somewhere), wasn't impressed with them. The set I got had a sloppy saddle for the frame (it was too big). I think they have the right idea, perhaps a little better set is what I needed.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2015 at 4:21AM
The block side was reinforced as they were bending with some of the early 70s engines, it added a third side to the "box" area.
As for the insulators,I don't know for sure but the small block mounts changed because of the frame saddle width changed (see California Johnny's motor mount mods).
The Crites mounts LOOK like they took a fullsize mount, cut the ears off, removed the rivet, welded a bolt in the rivet's place. and bolted on a saddle from/patterned on the small block saddle.
(without adding the saddle, this is one way to make mounts for 385 motors in 70s F series trucks)
I figured these #s may be useful if someone can't find the updated part.
EDIT: The narrower frame width at the saddle would explain why the Crites saddle is sloppy on your early frame.

Edited by Big Bird - 25-January-2015 at 4:23AM
Randy
1979 T-Bird
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2015 at 4:36AM
This is very useful because mounts (new and used) come up for sale on ebay from time to time. Since there is such a void of accurate data with mid-size BB mounts (such as the ones Rock Auto sells which are clearly the wrong ones), it is important to be armed with P/N's.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2015 at 4:40AM
There is an earlier version of the engine bracket that was superseded by the D2OZ-6030, 6031 but I have not found it... yet.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2015 at 12:27PM
here are the ford part numbers I have (and used) to buy my 460 mounts for my 74 and 79 rancheros. The thing to remember is ford liked to Update part #'s so you can have a part that will bear more than one number for the same part!

For 429/460 in a 72-79 ford/merc midsize chassis (I.E torino/ranchero/montego/elite/ cougar 74 and up and 77-79 LTD II/t-bird)

Block side D3LY-6030-A/D3LY-6031-A
Frame side D4SZ-6038-A/D4SZ-6038-B

The engine mounts from a 72-76 T-bird (big birds) will bolt right up to our torino's rancheros because the engine bay crossmember is the same. Just some information I wanted to pass along.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2015 at 1:04AM
I posted the earlier numbers in case someone can't get the "newer" parts. There are quite a few obsolete parts vendors online, and if they didn't have the newer numbers, they might have the older ones. 
Most of their catalogs are by part number only.
Randy
1979 T-Bird
 Post Reply Post Reply