The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

electric fan conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2017 at 11:55PM
The upper mounts can be easily "tweaked" to fit the top "rail" mounts of the Champion radiator more snugly. I actually needed to do this and drill a new mounting hole in my upper mounts to pull the radiator closer to the front core support, I then welded up the original holes and painted the brackets. Having a big block really limits the available room forward of the water pump. If you Google images for the upper mounts you can see there are differences in the stock top bracket mounting angles, some are bent more than others, no rhyme or reason.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2017 at 12:12AM
What about the rubber isolators?

The champion mounts are smaller which allows the radiator to slide around in the rubber mounts as compared to the original.  Even the bottom mounts.

I tried looking at various substitutes including bronco mounts, rubber isolators from international harvester, etc etc.   I can't seem to find anything that fits it properly.

for the upper it looks like a chevy top radiator support might be adapted...
this one is for a chevy truck..its 30" wide which looks like it may fit an allow using rubber isolators to be adapted

9426 or 9673

I guess I could cut the uppers to shorten them to fit..reweld.   I see what you mean by pulling them in...but the champion radioator litterally flops around inside the channel of the brackets.  If you need to replace the rubber what can you use?   Especially for the lowers...

Edited by BackInBlack - 20-June-2017 at 12:13AM
-John
1973 GTS
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2017 at 12:54AM
Could you add some liquid urethane like they use for windshields in the original mounts? Put some sandwich wrap or similar on the radiator where it touches the urethane. Set the radiator in place and leave it to cure for a day or so. Lift the rad out and remove the plastic and trim the urethane where necessary. BOOM! Custom mounts.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2017 at 1:02AM
The lower mounts are getting hard to find, to say the least. A "shade tree" fix that would work is to use a 3-4"(long enough to fit inside lower core support) piece of 5/8 or 3/4" heater hose and slit one side so the HH will grip the lower radiator "rail", then set the radiator with the heater hoses attached into the original lower radiator mounts. Doing this will also raise the radiator a bit and possibly help with the upper mount looseness, but will really help with having an extra "cushion" for the bottom mounting rails.  IIRC, Before I bent my upper mounts(it doesn't take much), my Champion radiator was loose as well. My Champion radiator's installed height is just about even/level with my core support using just the original stock lower radiator insulators. This pic may be helpful showing how much I bent my upper brackets to fit radiator, you can still see the original mounting holes in this bracket before I welded the hole up, I moved the brackets forward on the core support about 1/2-3/4".
   001.jpg

Edited by aquartlow - 20-June-2017 at 1:07AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2017 at 1:02AM
Sounds like an idea...I probably should post a new thread on this.
All the other aluminum radiator threads were closed.

Here is a pic of the mount and how much slop is between the radiator and mounting bracket.

-John
1973 GTS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123