The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trim info

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trim info
    Posted: 14-March-2015 at 3:44PM
I just posted a bunch of info on the FB page and decided to put it here for future reference.
Anyone else have input please feel free to post it!
This was done as an info for someone who does not know about the 72-79 cars but asked about what trim is worth and if it was worth his time to pull stuff he finds at yards.
This was just a guideline, I am not a proclaimed expert just trying to help... 

1. Laser stripe/full length wheel well moldings. There is a difference between front on 72 and 73. The 72 is LONGER on the front edge so the 73 will not work making the 72 a 1 yr only item. FULL LENGTH wheel well moldings, front and rear off ANY YEAR including Ranchero and wagons, these were used on the Laser strip cars. As stated the 72 is a 1yr ONLY as the front fender drops further down in the front than the later models. Document what side, frt or rear and what year model they came from.The Torino/Gran Torino/Ranchero is different than the 72-76 Montego and the 74-76 Cougar/Elite. As I said above... $75 MINIMUM for driver/repairable quality. NOS are going for $200 PLUS depending on the E-Bay bidding war and advertising on FB and the sites to get interest in them. the 72 front is the GOLDEN EGG, 1 YEAR ONLY!

2. the rear window surround trim on a 72-73 Sport/fast back roof ONLY. While you are there grab the lower vinyl roof trim as well. $100 for the surround trim, and $25-50 for the lower vinyl trim.

3. the rear trunk lip molding. it is a 3pc trim that is on the rear quarters and then across the trunk lip. $25-50 for this set. the issue with these is the bumper has to be off to get the quarter pieces

4. The LOWER rocker panel trim is also desired, not as highly sought after but is looked for. ESPECIALLY the ones on the FRONT fender between the bumper and the wheel well. The S&H guys look for these when doing a replica. The yard here by me has a few of these pieces but have not had anyone committ to buying so I am not pulling just to have laying around my garage during the upcoming move.

5. and another VERY DESIRED piece is the 72 Grill surround. This is the chrome trim bolted on to the nose around the plastic grill. The 72 bumper leans back and dents this if the car was ever jacked up by the bumper or even remotely touched in a bumper ding! Find one without those dings or NOS and you have $300-400 EASY! Find one worth getting refurbished or just a LITTLE dent(NOT creased/kinked) and they are worth $100-200 depending on the total condition. This piece has ALOT of nuts on the back side and is a PIA to get at with the whole nose intact.

6. on another note... the Grill and Grill Surround... 40 plus year old plastic... they break EASILY! so finding those in GOOD shape is one thing, getting them removed without breaking is another! And then handle it like you are carrying a 4 tier wedding cake, they break and crumble in your hands! lol prices on these go anywhere from Free to HUNDREDS if you have one that is ALL complete, no breaks and is not brittle.

7. all the Logo emblems from ANY car 72-79. They are bolted on the grills and also the trunk flappers. these go for anything from free to $50 each depending on what they are and what condition. IF you grab the scripts off the fenders and the trunk they are worth a few bucks each. the trunk "Torino" has 3 pins where the lettering has 2 on the "Torino" of Gran Torino. Find the single piece GRAN TORINO SPORT with the gear emblem on the C-Pillar of the 74-76 car... worth it's weight in GOLD!!

the full body side trim pieces... dime a dozen, not worth your time and effort, we strip and scrap cars with these all the time. Windshield, rear window of a Formal roof and the trim over the doors same thing, not worth your time to pull and make any money from.

8. side marker lights in good condition! They may LOOK good but I don't get excited until I get those damn sheet metal nuts off them and out of the cars. Both front and rear amber/red. AFTER you get them out then they go for anywhere from Free to $25-30 used. $50 or more for NOS.

9. 77-79 LTDII/Ranchero front turn signals... VERY DESIRED!

10. take pics of any good 72-76 Montego and 74-76 Cougar and Elite trim. These are specialty and will appeal to a SMALL crowd but ould be worth your time to go back and buy if you have a committed buyer all lined up!

Edited by Regul8r - 15-March-2015 at 7:12AM
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
IndyLTD I I View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndyLTD I I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2015 at 4:45AM
Originally posted by Regul8r Regul8r wrote:

9. 77-79 LTDII/Ranchero front turn signals... VERY DESIRED!

That is a fact, the right front unit has been hard to come by for years. In 2003 I had a set stolen off my car while we were in a movie theater. Fortunately I had saved a set from my Ranchero that had been totaled. I would have hooked the guy up if he'd asked, but something tells me he didn't want to pay for parts. I constantly worry about the ones on Nellie. Someone might hit them in a parking lot, or worse help themselves to them. Unhappy
Lee Virden
1978 LTD II S
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2015 at 5:43AM
C-Pillar Gran Torino Sport gear emblem was 74 only I believe. My 75 did not have it, but a 74 I parted many moons ago did. 

Edited by GranTorinoSport - 15-March-2015 at 6:31AM
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2015 at 6:25AM
Originally posted by GranTorinoSport GranTorinoSport wrote:

C-Pillar Gran Torino Sport gear emblem was 74 only I believe. My 74 did not have it, but a 74 I parted many moons ago did. 
wasn't sure so I just ballparked it. lol

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2015 at 6:33AM
All good, that's the collaboration part of this.

Not many of us have the 74-75 Sports (they are a rarity), so I think the details of them are often not understood by all. 
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2015 at 6:42AM
don't forget the 74-76 rocker moldings and wheel lip trim!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2015 at 7:11AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

don't forget the 74-76 rocker moldings and wheel lip trim!

#4 above

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2015 at 7:29AM
If you're still breaking Torinos please could you check the following for me?

I need the little retaining pins that hold the air ducts behind the dash together.....would rather buy the correct ones rather than replace with plastic rivets

And I also need to know on an AC model car where the vac lines go on the controller! I've got a single four line plug that I have no clue where to connect. The 8 line plugs gone on but the 4 pin is throwing me off......
 Post Reply Post Reply