The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ammeter wiring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ammeter wiring
    Posted: 15-March-2015 at 10:52AM
I need the correct ammeter wiring for this 78 t-bird we are working on here. The guy used house wire and wire nuts and no shunt (resistor wire). Could someone help me out with this? Thanks Dan
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2015 at 12:18PM
Dan, I will check my wiring "stash". I removed the ammeter's shunt wiring when I went with a volt meter. IIRC, a 5 to 6' length of 10ga copper cable had the same resistance as the 18-24" piece of original wiring (the original wire didn't seem to be copper, maybe steel/resistance wiring, sounds strange but it was different).  
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2015 at 12:26PM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

Dan, I will check my wiring "stash". I removed the ammeter's shunt wiring when I went with a volt meter. IIRC, a 5 to 6' length of 10ga copper cable had the same resistance as the 18-24" piece of original wiring (the original wire didn't seem to be copper, maybe steel/resistance wiring, sounds strange but it was different).  

BTW, IMO the volt meter is better. Here is a pic, the guy did a nice job in making the face match the original Ford gauge font. This is a pic from his website http://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=menu-volt-all , I painted the pointer fluorescent orange on my gauge.

Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2015 at 12:38PM
First thanks for looking for the wiring for me. second I agree that the volt meter would be a lot better choice. BUT it's not my ride to make that choice. This guy likes the ammeter SOOOO with that said thanks again for looking for that stuff and let me know what you would want for it. Take care Dan 
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2015 at 11:43PM
Dan,
 Sorry, I cannot find the ammeter wiring harness. I know I had an extra one from inner fender to dash, will have to look later today. I apologize for the "extra" info about the volt meter, shoulda just stuck with what you requested/needed. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2015 at 8:30AM
Don't be sorry it is great information and I would expect to use it on my montego/ranchero someday. But this car is for someone else like I said so I need to stop the bleeding on this project. Every option in this car was installed "after" buy the owner and he used a lot of house grade wire and wire nuts! I am trying to make this thing safe and get it out of my shop!
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2015 at 9:22AM
He didn't install duplex plugs or GFI's near the heater core, did he LOL, sorry couldn't resist. I'd be pullin' my hair out working on something like that. Just got home, but I will check again for the harness and get back to you by this evening. Do you need everything from dash panel out or ....?

aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2015 at 11:04AM
Just checked through all my wiring stuff, no ammeter/shunt wiring Ouch.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2015 at 12:37PM
thanks for looking. What could I use in place for that shunt?
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2015 at 2:07PM
Originally posted by Dan the ranchero man Dan the ranchero man wrote:

thanks for looking. What could I use in place for that shunt?

A length of copper 10ga wiring will work, although it will be much longer than the original resistance wire. I tried some 10ga and it took at least 5-6ft to make the gauge read "right", but I have seen where it took up to 8'. Take a couple lengths of 16 or 18 ga wiring(one that terminates at the accessory stud, the other terminates at the battery side of the starter solenoid), enough to go all the way to the ammeter's dash studs, install a 10ga(at least) butt connector on both of these wires with the length of 10ga wire installed (where you have to twist the ends of each 16 or 18ga with the length of 10ga and crimp the two wires together, you may need to open the butt connector a bit with an awl for adequate fit) leaving the other end of each butt connector open so you can install a fusible link that has a 5/16" ring (to allow installation on the accessory stud or the starter solenoid). You may need to strip enough of the fusible link's wire to double it/fold it, so it will take up more space inside the end of the butt connector before you crimp or solder it(which requires removing the nylon/vinyl insulation and using heat-shrink afterward). I did this to the factory wiring after the shunt connection was getting suspect, it worked good, but that was years ago and before I removed the ammeter wiring for the volt meter install.
Dan, I hope I explained this clearly enough(I have a hard time 'splaining sometimes). 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2015 at 2:30PM
Thanks for the information!!!
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2015 at 2:43PM

Thanks for the information!!!

Dan, you are always welcome to any and all info I can give, hopefully some of it will be helpful. I realize you have been busy trying to get YOUR shop back, but have you had a chance to try the length of 10ga wire as the replacement shunt?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2015 at 2:49PM
No not yet but I am almost right there to start that part of the harness repair. I do have some 10 GA handy and will try it.  This entire harness has been by far the WORST thing I have ever worked on in my life (car related). I have made some great progress and hope to get to the point where I can reinstall the dash. The next time I will really look at EVERYTHING before taking on another car project.  
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2015 at 2:58PM

No not yet but I am almost right there to start that part of the harness repair. I do have some 10 GA handy and will try it.  This entire harness has been by far the WORST thing I have ever worked on in my life (car related). I have made some great progress and hope to get to the point where I can reinstall the dash. The next time I will really look at EVERYTHING before taking on another car project.  

I'd say you were trying to do a good deed and got a little "blind-sided" by all the owner's "fixes/repairs". Just remember, no good deed goes unpunished!  I bet you'll be glad to see those T-bird taillights leaving for the last time and none to soon. Good luck and keep us posted.  

Post Reply Post Reply