The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Ranchero Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72 Ranchero - vacuum motors/radio color codes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 Ranchero - vacuum motors/radio color codes
    Posted: 17-March-2015 at 3:07PM
I have a 72 Ranchero GT and the am/fm/8 track radio that was in it was from 76 or 77 and is a little dead right now.
The colors on the connector are as follow and l think l have them correct but might need a little steering in the right direction if they're not.
-orange - left front speaker
-white - right front speaker
-black with hash line - common earth to all speakers
-pink/s ( two of them) one left and one right rear speakers
-the two other wires, are both power, one for the radio and one activated by the lights ( dash lights )

IS THAT CORRECT?

OK to the next question, l would like to run the engine while the instrument gauges are out so l can clearly see which vent/door vacuum motors are actually working/ trying to work or are dead.

I can't start the car with the instruments out BUT l'm sure lonely need to cross two wires to give me a start connection.
Which two would they be, without blowing anything.

I have cleared away a lot of someone else's botched wiring job and would like to move forward with a clear idea of where l'm going.
The wiring schematic l have here in color is useless, only shows one pink wire to the radio.

CAN YOU HELP??
cheers David.
Wednesday March 18/2015
David Dare
aussie_dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2015 at 1:33PM
Thanks Tom,
Worked a treat, found that my brake booster seal was torn and allowing air to bleed, the vent open tries to work both open and very good at closing, so l will try a line of vacuum hose and manually suck the motor open!
The five or six hose junction point behind the heater/vent control seems a little loose, might see if l have a vacuum leak there too.
Far easier with the instruments out of the way.
cheers
David.
David Dare

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2015 at 5:24PM
Wow,why would you put a vacuum motor right down there,YH223 D02-18318A-A1B.
seems that combined with a leaky vac. seal on the brake booster is causing me some leakage.
Looks like the only two l cant test well are located within the heater box.....Dooooh!
Any way,1 NOS working unit on its way down under.
Ford must still be using these under a different number in say Crown Royals etc.
What's the chance someone knows what the new part numbers are for similar units.

thanks again  David.
David Dare
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2015 at 6:50PM
did you figure out how to make the engine run without the cluster? jump the two tach wires at the connector that plugs into the back of the tach.

p.s. welcome!!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2015 at 10:44PM
G'day John,
 thank you for the welcome, yes Tom showed me the bat to coil which works ok, how does the tach wire jump work.
It seems l have a bit of vehicle catching up to do with your impressive list there.
I can sorta make a start on that.
1913 Ford Model T Runabout
1913 Ford Model T Touring
1926 Ford Model T Tudor (my wife's)
1966 Ford Thunderbird Town Landau
1972 Ranchero GT ( 400 C6 3.25 lsd)
1992 and 1995 BMW -my kids get their license's next year.
2011 Ford XR50 Falcon sports.
and my wife's road car -which l think l did wrong in buying it new at all Holden Rodeo/Colorado.. bucket !!!! - Isuzu based rubbish.

David Dare
bdaugette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdaugette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2015 at 1:07AM
The tach on a 72 is wired between the battery and the coil. When you took out the instrument cluster, you unplugged the tach, so you are not getting power to the coil, so no spark.  The tach has a plug behind the instrument cluster,  just find that plug, and jump the two wires together that go back to the wiring harness.  The wires are color coded, so you can follow them.  On my 72 GTS they go back to a small square plug on the wiring harness, not the main plug that goes into the cluster.  Just find the wires, then jump them back together and you should be up and running!
Bill Daugette
72 GTS 351C 4V

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2015 at 3:14PM
got it, thank you.
David Dare
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2015 at 5:31PM
Originally posted by aussie_dave aussie_dave wrote:

G'day John,
 thank you for the welcome, yes Tom showed me the bat to coil which works ok, how does the tach wire jump work.
It seems l have a bit of vehicle catching up to do with your impressive list there.
I can sorta make a start on that.
1913 Ford Model T Runabout
1913 Ford Model T Touring
1926 Ford Model T Tudor (my wife's)
1966 Ford Thunderbird Town Landau
1972 Ranchero GT ( 400 C6 3.25 lsd)
1992 and 1995 BMW -my kids get their license's next year.
2011 Ford XR50 Falcon sports.
and my wife's road car -which l think l did wrong in buying it new at all Holden Rodeo/Colorado.. bucket !!!! - Isuzu based rubbish.

dave, that's a pretty impressive list you have too!     ^^^bill's post above^^^ that's what i was trying to explain about jumping the tach terminals to make it run

some day i hope to visit Australia, you guys got some cool cars down there! and you guys speak the same language, is there really like 8 women to every guy down there? Wink or is that just a myth??? oh, and i'd like to drive a road train even if it's only for a few miles Thumbs Up

Edited by californiajohnny - 19-March-2015 at 5:33PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2015 at 8:00PM
Holy cow, 8 women for every man, are you completely mad, hell, one's bad enough at times, why would you want to inflict yourself with 8 of them???? L.O.L
sorry its a myth.
Come on down, your $$ is very good value down here right now.
Plenty to see, our land mass and your 48 states land mass is only about 200sq miles different.
Yes you are just a little bit bigger. 
I just started a new posting about what's in your garage, jump on in a put some pics up.
cheers
David.

David Dare

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2015 at 12:35AM
Thank you,replacement radio now works very well for a 43 year old am/fm/8 track.
Seems l did inadvertently kill off part of my original radio by running a hot wire down the ( speaker) wrong hole in the plug.
It still gains fm signal, l just cant hear it..
Has anyone played with those old Ford/Motorola radios and found which part controls the sound??
cheers David.
David Dare
 Post Reply Post Reply