The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rust Fix

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lohman78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rust Fix
    Posted: 19-March-2015 at 11:18AM
So, here goes.....I have bought a solid body 1970 Torino GT. In this past, this vehicle has had some of the typical Troino rust issues, however, the metal was all repaired. (The patching job was another issue...fresh paint put right over a roughed in patch job with roughed in metal and no Bondo.  Well, now she's mine, and I am the one that is finally sticking money into her to retain this classic.  I am not doing the full blown rotiserie restoration....new engine, new paint, some new interior, and everything associated with making her a solid runner again.  So, what would everyone recommend as their method for retarding the advance of rust that may be on the back side of pannels/undercarriage?  My initial thoughts are that I am going to put the car on a lift and spray the entire frame in Dupli-Color's rust fix. (sprays on clear and dries to a black primer finish) Perhaps I will scrub the entire undercarriage down with Evapo Rust????  Either way, looking to do an economical resto project, and keep the rust at bay as long as possible.......Tips?  Any advice is sincerely appreciated.
Paul100ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul100ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2015 at 12:12PM
I'm curious as well. My car, and frame of course, passed safety in Jan. There is some surface rust I'm looking to get rid of. I would need to find a hoist first though....Ermm that I can use. I am considering scraping and sanding off the rust then painting over the frame with a rust proof paint. Any suggestions for what paint to use? Maybe this is your situation also Lohman?Beer
Nothing stops this train.
Lohman78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lohman78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2015 at 1:55PM
Sounds like we are in the same boat. I have used some of the DupliColor rust fix (like $5 per can at the auto parts store) on the surface rust on my 2004 F150....looks to have done an OK job (reduced the rust, and gave me a black primer finish that I could put some other type of product over if I wanted to)  Cheap fix that I think is a step forward in the fight against rust.  
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2015 at 2:22PM

Sanding, grinding, wire wheeling the rust of the undercarriage and spray painting with rust paints will probably slow the rusting process.  But in my experience it will rust again, especially if you are driving the car in winter and exposing it to salt.  Keeping out of inclement weather will make a huge difference. Prep work is key, get rid of as much rust as you can before you paint.  Ultimately sandblasting would be ideal, but that may eliminate too much and expose areas that need metal replacement.  

I have had lots of old rusty cars and I had try and prolong life out of them.  I have used all different brands of rust paint, and none live up to the claims.  I probably had the best luck with POR-15, but it's expensive and requires very specific prep work. It would be a huge pain to do undercarriage work with it.  Oil spray rust proofing (Krown, Rust Check) will slow the rust down big time, but it's really messy and needs to be reapplied.  Realistically, once rust has set in, it's almost impossible to eliminate unless you cut it out completely.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Paul100ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul100ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2015 at 1:26AM
OK thanks. I forgot to mention that I will be parking the old girl in the winters, so no salt exposure, also I will be doing an undercoating in the fall. All this together should be enough. Beer
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2015 at 8:41AM
Keeping off the winter roads will make a big difference.  Take your time when cleaning up the frame and it should hold up fairly well.  If you have access to a rust proofing gun, it may be worthwhile to spray the inside of the frame rails with oil spray rust proofing to help keep the frame from rusting from the inside out.  If not, have the rust proofers spray inside the rails with an oil spray when the car is undercoated.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Fairlane500 View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fairlane500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2015 at 4:15AM
Rust is like a cancer. The more of it you can remove, the better chance you have of getting rid of it.
Sand blasting is the best choice. If that is not practical, then using a wire brush, grinder to get as much of the loose rust as possible is your next best alternative. I like to follow that up with a rust converter. Eastwood sells a good converter, or you can find other alternatives at the hardware store. Ospho is a common name. Eye /skin protection is mandatory. Once the converter has cured, follow that up with the rust encapsulator paint (POR15 / Eastwood rust encapsulator / other brands).
You can then follow that up with your top coats.
There are no posi's in Fords.
Paul100ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul100ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2015 at 1:26AM
OK thanks for the info. I found a guy 45 minutes away who rents out his shop/hoist for $25 an hour. That includes the use of his compressor and tools. Once I get my 75 back from paint and wheels I will take it there for a day, or a few hours, of grinding and scraping and painting, such fun. But it's worth the investment of my time. Beer
 Post Reply Post Reply