The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Ranchero Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SPARK CONTROL SWITCH - D2AF - 9E740

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SPARK CONTROL SWITCH - D2AF - 9E740
    Posted: 23-March-2015 at 6:15PM

Can anyone tell me what this spark control switch us to do, my guess it does nothing now, it's out of the car and the engine still runs fine!!

Was this an early electronic ignition module?
David Dare
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2015 at 6:58PM

That part picks up a speed signal from a sensor in the speedometer cable at a preset speed. It either turned on or disabled the vacuum advance (depending on how fast the car was going) via a solenoid valve mounted on a valve cover bolt on the engine. It was part of the emissions system designed to reduce Oxides of Nitrogen emmissions.

Ford called it the Electronic spark control system. That particular blue box is a 33 miles per hour amplifier (the cases are color coded by speed). You will also find a temperature sensor in the right or left door pillar, looks like a T-3 transistor case with 2 wires attached. There is also a transmission switch.

The system disabled the the vacuum advance if it was over 65 degrees fareinheit with the transmission in high gear and going faster than the amplifier speed (33mph). If it was a California car it also had a coolant temperature switch that disabled the vacuum advance until the coolant temp was over 230 degrees farenheit.

If it is not plugged in/connected then you are able to have vacuum advance in high gear/above 33 miles per hour.

It is a seperate system by itself and nothing else feeds through it.

Edited by dave302 - 24-March-2015 at 7:13AM
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2015 at 11:11PM
Originally posted by dave302 dave302 wrote:

That part picks up a speed signal from a sensor in the speedometer cable at a preset speed. It either turned on or disabled the vacuum advance (depending on how fast the car was going) via a solenoid valve mounted on a valve cover bolt on the engine. It was part of the emissions system designed to reduce Oxides of Nitrogen emmissions.

Ford called it the Electronic spark control system. That particular blue box is a 33 miles per hour amplifier (the cases are color coded by speed). You will also find a temperature sensor in the right door pillar, looks like a t-3 transistor case with 2 wires attached. There is also a transmission switch.

The system disabled the the vacuum advance if it was over 65 degrees fareinheit with the transmission in high gear and going faster than the amplifier speed (33mph). If it was a California car it also had a coolant temperature switch that disabled the vacuum advance untill the coolant temp was over 230 degrees farenheit.

If it is not plugged in/connected then you are able to have vacuum advance all of the time if you want it.

Excellent info!!!
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
aussie_dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2015 at 1:49AM
That is fantastic info, thank you for that informative description.
I will look in the passenger pillar tomorrow... Yes California car.
cheers
David.
David Dare
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2015 at 1:53AM
Sheesh Dave! Any idea what the Powerball numbers will be this weekend?
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2015 at 2:00AM
Powerball numbers for next weekend.

4,8,20,34,36,40 and  12

yep, that's right..... good luck.
David Dare
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2015 at 2:23AM
You know I am going to play those...just because.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2015 at 9:54AM
hope you win then.
David Dare
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2015 at 11:52AM
Originally posted by dave302 dave302 wrote:

Ford called it the Electronic spark control system. That particular blue box is a 33 miles per hour amplifier (the cases are color coded by speed). You will also find a temperature sensor in the right or left door pillar, looks like a T-3 transistor case with 2 wires attached. There is also a transmission switch.

The system disabled the the vacuum advance if it was over 65 degrees fareinheit with the transmission in high gear and going faster than the amplifier speed (33mph). If it was a California car it also had a coolant temperature switch that disabled the vacuum advance until the coolant temp was over 230 degrees farenheit.

If it is not plugged in/connected then you are able to have vacuum advance in high gear/above 33 miles per hour.

Just a couple of minor points.

There were two separate systems emissions systems many 1972 Torinos got.  One was the Electronic Spark control as mentioned above, which included that "amplifier" box, a speed sensor (through speedometer cable), temperature switch (in left door pillar) and the distributor modulator valve.  If the ambient temperature was above 65F, the system would disable the vacuum advance for the distributor until it reached the speed specified by the box, in this case 33 MPH.  Above this speed the vacuum advance would work normally until the speed dropped to 18 MPH, then it would again disable the vacuum advance until the speed exceeded the 33 MPH limit.  The entire system was disabled if the engine temperature went over 230F.  This allowed for vacuum advance to help drop the engine temperature. The system would also be disabled if the ambient temperature dropped below 49F.

The second system was the transmission regulated spark control system.  This included the a transmission switch, the pillar mounted temperature switch, and the distributor modulator valve.  The system essentially reduced emissions by disabling the vacuum advance in all but high gear.  This system is also only active if the ambient temperature is 65F or higher and will disable if the temperature drops below 49F.

So, essentially removing this system is okay, but just make sure your vacuum advance is properly connected from directly from a ported vacuum source and there should be no issues removing it.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2015 at 10:21PM
Nothing in the passenger door pillar or front kick panel area, but l have found 3 old style silver relays behind the drivers side door pillar,one operates the brake lights, the other two??,maybe turn signals and ........
The passengers side kick panel area, houses a couple of looms and two plug fittings, neither is attached to anything.
David.
David Dare
renotorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renotorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2015 at 3:30PM
Hello David.. I've removed every wire from stem to stern on my 72' Ranchero GTS 4-speed (I know, crazy huh?) I found the ambiant temp. receptical with no sensor and all of the yellow/red hash wiring but on the engine side of the C10 firewall connector the wire to the vacuum switch, solonoid etc. as well as the parts themselves had been removed. The distributer has been replaced at sometime with an HEI unit which looks just like a GM unit with a vacuum advance. Long way around to my question, was there any kind of switch in the 4-speed to indicate that it was in high (or any other) gear ? Also I've never found any traces of a speed sensor in the speedometer cable. I have the factory schematics and all of these things are listed as well as all the other options the car could have possibly been built with including 5 veriations oh the rear body wiring depending on the body style and weather or not it had a tow package. Trying to trace circuits through the 9 pages of diagrams makes me feel older than my 71 years. Pardon my rambling but there seems to be a few things different on a 4-speed including no neutral safety switch. I guess they figured nobody woukd be dumb enough to start it in gear... LOL
C Bell
 Post Reply Post Reply