The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Ranchero Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Vacuum Canister - 5 1/2"long - where do we get the
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vacuum Canister - 5 1/2"long - where do we get the

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vacuum Canister - 5 1/2"long - where do we get the
    Posted: 24-March-2015 at 1:36PM
Does anyone know where to buy a vac can or 5 1/2"long coffee or soup can, the best l can get is 10 mm, just under half and inch too short!
This one is on my Thunderbird, but its way too big.

thanks David.
David Dare
aussie_dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2015 at 6:18PM
I don't have a 72 can to work from, but this gets close to my '66 bird canister.
Any 72 vac can pics available? Expensive ( not ) dog food can perfect size to the bracket, it did look a bit odd,my wife and l with bracket in hand trawling the food isles.

David.
David Dare
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2015 at 8:03PM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2015 at 8:07PM
There is also a guy who had used a vacuum can from either a 1972 full sized ford LTD or a 1972 Lincoln. He had mounted in his driver side lower wheel well and it works good.

Edited by dave302 - 24-March-2015 at 8:10PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2015 at 10:12PM
The first can is about the same size l found at the supermarket, but that second pic shows a monster of a can.
David Dare
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2015 at 1:34AM
i'd clear coat over it and leave the dog food label on there!! LOL 
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2015 at 4:47AM
How do you plan on installing the vacuum port? The vacuum canister on my '76 had small pin holes rusted thru it so I opened it with my can opener to have a look inside and there is an o-ring and internal clip that holds the port to the lid.
Also, what's your plan for getting the "loaf with beef" outta the can? LOL

Look forward to seeing your assembly process.....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2015 at 9:30AM
Getting that dogs meat out was a rather disgusting chore.
Obviously the cheaper the dog meat, the cheaper the contents, poor dog.
started with a small hole and die ground it open enough to be able to pull the crappy dogs meat out with a spoon handle.
Lesson learned here.
don't shake crappy cheap dogs meat to vigorously, it does stink.
After it was all out, l simply hot water washed it numerous times to get rid of the smell.
The inside of the can already has a yellow coated lining, so rusting out is probably not the concern.
Yes getting the check valve in so it looks correct and seals correctly is the next challenge.
The only check valve l have found so far that even remotely looks similar is the 82 corvette lights check valve, cast zinc two outside, one inside. I may attempt a solder ( aka sodder) attachment to the lid.
I have no doubt it will work, its really not that dis-similar to the smaller can in Dave's pics, and it cost 99 cents.
Painted black it will completely disappear behind the engine.
That's the plan.
cheers
David.
David Dare

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2015 at 9:59AM
the length was perfect, this can now crimped back in place wont fall out.
David Dare
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2015 at 12:07PM
those crimps are weak. do yourself a favor and add a hose clamp around it.

nice find on the can!

Make a small square plate with a couple holes drilled to use grommets and insert pieces of metal tubing that is TIGHT in the grommet with a little black silicone to seal it all in place
Place the plate on the end of the can, use some black silicone and 4 small screws to hold it on to the end of the can. You could also use small fender bolt and washers to hold it on just seal it off nice with black silicone.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2015 at 12:31AM
Thank you,l will try that suggestion, hopefully my non return valve arrives tomorrow, then we'll have a vac reservoir too to complete the system.
David Dare
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2015 at 1:28AM
Dave,

I used a Fiero vacuum tank............

Tank is 4.25" OD and just shy of 7" long.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
RAPTOR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAPTOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2015 at 9:26AM
Can anyone tell me or have some pictures  of were the vacuum  hoses go from the canister to the engine and the 2 vacuum lines  coming off the firewall and were they go on a 72 Torino A/C CAR ? 

Edited by RAPTOR - 14-April-2015 at 9:27AM
1972 Torino Sport 4Spd Q 351c
1996 Bronco XLT
2010 SVT Raptor
2003 H2 Hummer
1977 CB 750 Cafe Racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2015 at 11:22AM
Yes  can assist you there,
The inlet manifold at the back has a stalk/tree/riser with small hosepipes attached to it, the vacuum lines all start at this point.
There is a small connection that is screwed to the firewall, two hoses, nothing else, the hoses just simply go in and then back out, one from the tree, the other to the transmission (auto).
OK to the main question.
Again from the vacuum start point, one line runs to the non return valve in your tank/can/accumulator.
The other line which will be under vacuum, runs all of your vacuum actuators inside the car.
If you have a leak inside the car, some or many of the vents will not work, l have been assisted all the way here on this forum.
Hopefully this helps you out.
cheers David.
David Dare
RAPTOR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAPTOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2015 at 7:01AM
Aussie Dave
 i have a 72 and its manual trans not auto.  so i still have vacuum line that needs to go some were else . There are 2 vacuum lines come out of the firewall one you said gos to the tree style vacuum riser hook up   what line the left facing or right facing VACUUM line coming out of firewall  to  the manifold and then the second one vacuum line on yours gos to the auto trans on a manual car were would that second line hook up to maybe the vacuum canister ?

Edited by RAPTOR - 15-April-2015 at 7:03AM
1972 Torino Sport 4Spd Q 351c
1996 Bronco XLT
2010 SVT Raptor
2003 H2 Hummer
1977 CB 750 Cafe Racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2015 at 4:02PM
G'day Raptor,
Sorry l am still new here and as far as manual trans, l'm sorry l have no idea what or where your second vac line would run to or operate.
David.
David Dare

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2015 at 10:18AM
Installed.... it has not collapsed as yet !!!!
David Dare

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2015 at 10:25AM
Thank you all for your help, it all seems to be working perfectly now, fan switch seems to work well, in between marks, so l think a clean up in there might be in order.
David Dare
 Post Reply Post Reply