The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lincoln Mark V Hydroboost

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lincoln Mark V Hydroboost
    Posted: 26-March-2015 at 8:54AM
Question for all you knowledgeable folks:

I picked up a used hydroboost unit out a 77-78 Mark V. I rebuilt/replaced all the seals and such for it. The instructions said not to use any transmission fluid (Type F is What I use with my Ford pump). Did these cars use power steering fluid instead of the Type F? Just trying to figure out what to use from here on out.
Thanks.
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2015 at 10:19AM
  In my hydro unit I have used Type F, Power steering fluid and right now has Maxlife synthetic trans fluid(Dextron) NO ill effects with using any of these, but the Maxlife seems to stay "fresher" longer.  
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
mlachance112785 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2015 at 7:59PM
Reviving this:

Are you using a Ford pump or the Saginaw pump?
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2015 at 11:10PM
He is using a Saginaw Power Steering Pump with a second return line/fitting connected to the pump's reservoir.
The Saginaw pump has a higher Pounds Per Square Inch/Gallons Per Minute output capacity than a Ford/Thompson pump. If you use the Ford pump: then it advised that you install a "T" fitting for a second return line connected into the pumps reservoir.
It is also a good idea to use a Power Steering cooler as well. He uses a transmission cooler out of a Chevy Suburban which has been repurposed for Power Steering cooler duties.

Edited by dave302 - 28-April-2015 at 11:42PM
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2015 at 12:55AM
Originally posted by dave302 dave302 wrote:

He is using a Saginaw Power Steering Pump with a second return line/fitting connected to the pump's reservoir.
The Saginaw pump has a higher Pounds Per Square Inch/Gallons Per Minute output capacity than a Ford/Thompson pump. If you use the Ford pump: then it advised that you install a "T" fitting for a second return line connected into the pumps reservoir.
It is also a good idea to use a Power Steering cooler as well. He uses a transmission cooler out of a Chevy Suburban which has been repurposed for Power Steering cooler duties.

Dave302,
 I appreciate that you have been keeping up with the mods I have done to my brake/steering system, it really makes all the work more worthwhile when another forum member "notices" the end result.

Mark,
  You can use a Ford/Thompson pump, as Dave302 mentioned, but I used the "better" Saginaw PS pump due to it's ability to be easily modified for increases in volume and pressure output above it's already impressive unmodified specs. There are many "write-ups" on the internet on doing these mods, here is just one I used for "reference":

It is definitely a good idea to use a PS cooler with a hydroboost system, having header tube/exhaust tubing proximity closer to the steering gear only adds to it's importance of having one installed. Here is a pic of the Suburban trans cooler I plumbed into my Ranchero to work as a PS cooler, works quite well:

I hope this info helps in some way. Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
 Post Reply Post Reply