The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Convert a 73 torino to a 74?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1972Kristoffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Convert a 73 torino to a 74?
    Posted: 29-March-2015 at 10:37AM
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum. I'v been looking for a good 74-76 Starsky & Hutch Torino for a couple of years now, but all of a sudden I found a perfect, restored, bright red 73... The good: It's all there, 10/10 interior, engine, paintwork etc. The bad: I'm a sucker for authenticity and details and I couldn't live with my self driving a S&H replica with the wrong front and rear look. So here's to my question;

I assume the front and sides are pretty easy - just change bumper, grille and hood emblem and then remove the side chrome. I also assume that the rear is doable? Please correct me if I'm wrong - could I remove the 73 bumper with the integrated tail lights and just bolt on the 74-76 tail lights with the middle part and then the 74-76 bumper underneath?

Have anybody done this before? If so please enlighten me.

Many thanks in advance!

Kris
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2015 at 4:45PM
welcome! i totally agree with you! i've seen several 73's painted red and white, it's ok, but just ain't right!!! on the front end---- basically everything forward of the front of the fenders needs to be 74-76 (although my car has a 73 front bumper, it came that way and i like the look)  as far as the rear... the back of the quarter panels are different, but i think you could graft on the back section from a 74-76 a little bit of work, but could be done! the front would be all bolt-on stuff
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2015 at 1:43AM
Leave the 73 alone! The old style rear end looks better......

Front end swap thats a straight swap over, I'm putting a 74 front on my 73 but leaving the back alone as I prefer the older style bumper instead of the horrid park bench

Find a 74 if you want a 74 IMO
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2015 at 2:17AM
I am converting my '76 into a '72. Again, front is bolt on except the '72 frame horns. Rear is an entirely different setup including the frame. It is major surgery unless you have the parts available. In my case, I eliminated having to heavily message the '76 frame by using a '72 frame. 25% of the modifications eliminated. However, the center filler panel is a welded part of the rear clip, the lower 1/4 panels are differently shaped at the bumper, the fuel tank is different, trunk pan is different, and so on. I have everything needed to do mine, but would be hesitant in tackling this project if I didn't.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
1972Kristoffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1972Kristoffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2015 at 2:21AM
Thanks for the feedback guys - much appreciated! I'll continue my search for a 74-76.
2013 Cadillac Escalade
1949 Mercury Leadsled
1996 HMMWV Slatback Desert Storm
2006 Crown Victoria P71
 Post Reply Post Reply