The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need some help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arthrani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need some help
    Posted: 18-April-2015 at 9:00AM
So I am extremely new to this and could use some assistance.  I bought a 71 Torino a few days ago, it ran drove it home and everything seemed fine.  It was a little over an hour long trip.  Car ran what seemed a little bit hot, but the temp gauge doesn't work so I coulnd't be completely sure.  The next day the car wont start up.  It sputters but doesn't turn over.  Tried everything I could find with the carb, but as stated I am still green in fixing cars up.  Any suggestions would be very appreciated.
gregaba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregaba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2015 at 5:31AM
Sounds like you need to check your fuel system-check the fuel filter and see if it picked up some trash from the tank and pluged up. Could be a bad fuel pump so check our flow from the pump.
If it isn't that then you sould check and see if you are geting fire from the coil.
Greg
Greg
bdaugette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdaugette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2015 at 7:09AM
These old cars don't need much to run.  Gas, Air, Spark.  Be sure you aren't out of gas, that sounds obvious, but it has happened.  See if it will start by putting some gas directly in the carb.  If you have a full tank, and it isn't making it to the carb, it might be a plugged filter, or trash in the tank.  Put a timing light on it, and see if it has spark.  

These are quick simple checks.  Do them before investing in any big tear downs...

Good Luck.
Bill Daugette
72 GTS 351C 4V
 Post Reply Post Reply