Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Choke Wire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Choke Wire
    Posted: 20-April-2015 at 9:30AM

I am getting ready to install my new Holley this weekend when I finally get the last of the parts.  In the mean time I wired up a circuit for the electric choke.  I have a relay setup for my Pertronix ignition in my distributor that's a keyed 12 volt source.  I added an extra wire into this circuit.

I have a 20 amp fuse on this circuit.  Will this be enough to handle both the Pertronix and the choke?

Thanks.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2015 at 11:39AM
I don't know if 72 had one, but my 79 had electric choke, and it's wire feed worked fine for my edelbrock carb
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2015 at 12:01PM
No, stock was a hot air choke, so I need a new circuit. 
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2015 at 12:43PM
I think that's plenty. The choke draws very little current after warmup. I'm thinking somewhere around 800mA average. It may draw a bit more at start-up when the coil mechanism inside is cold.  
I'd still give it it's own fuse because if something goes wrong in the system will be easier to diagnose. Come to think of it, I may have wired mine with the ignition because I ran out of pins on the factory connector through the firewall. Embarrassed It's now on a dash-mounted breaker for easy reset and identification. 20A is what I used as well.

Edited by Billy C - 21-April-2015 at 12:45PM
-Billy Conturo
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2015 at 4:26AM
Thanks Billy.  I will stock with the 20 amp, my wiring will handle that without issue.

On this site this guy says it spiked to 6.5 amps, than dropped down to about .75 amps when running steady, so you weren't far off.

Vince

GTS.org Admin
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2017 at 1:25AM
Just found this thread...
I've got a few extra wires on the engine harness the previous owner cut off and didn't label.  I white/black stripe and a Black/yellow dashes

The white wire with a black stripe, From the Ford manuals, I think was for an electric choke.  When I turn on the ignition I see no voltage...can anyone confirm this?  thanks.

-John
1973 GTS
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2017 at 4:06PM
My car had no choke wire, my car was hot air choke.  I ended up using a relay to run the 12 volt supply to the choke.  Easy install, no hacking of the factory harness.

I am away on business but I can check those wires for you when I have time.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2017 at 4:17PM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

My car had no choke wire, my car was hot air choke.  I ended up using a relay to run the 12 volt supply to the choke.  Easy install, no hacking of the factory harness. I am away on business but I can check those wires for you when I have time.

I think I found an unused lead I can use for my choke. It's key powered and uses a short fuse in the block that is unused in my car. I think it might be for the A/C clutch in a car equipped with A/C.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2017 at 4:32PM
Billy C remembered that the it connected directly to the alternator/regulator.  I traced it through the harness from the engine (where the previous owner hacked off the end near the carb) all the way through to a spade connector near the starter selenoid.   Its a white wire with black stripe.  Originally the wire connected directly to the 12V of the alternator.  

Since I swapped over to a 1-wire alternator that connection to 12V went away.  Now Im looking for a 12V ignition on source for the choke.    Tried a green wire/red stripe at the selenoid...bad idea it is tied to an inline resistance wire somewhere.  I connected it to the choke and the voltage at the choke dropped to 5V.  The inline resistance (fuse) wire limited the current to the choke and caused the voltage drop.

The previous owner hacked the choke to another harness; 2 pin isolated harness that comes through the firewall right next to the box connectors.  It has a red wire with green dots and a brown wire with green dots.   The red wire is 12V on when the key is on.  I can't figure out what these wires were connected to originally.  

At least for future reference for others...I did trace down the original electric choke wire in the harness.

I did find the AC clutch wire it was on a separate harness with 3 pin connectors and only 2 wires.   Since I'm using AC I can't repurpose that circuit for the choke.

Edited by BackInBlack - 23-May-2017 at 4:37PM
-John
1973 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2017 at 2:49AM
Update for others...

The Red/yellow and brown/yellow dots are for emissions EGR selenoid control.  Driven by a little red relay box under the passenger side dash.

The choke wire is in the main harness that runs between the starter selenoid on the fender (voltage regulator) through the harness into the engine harness.  It is a white/blk stripe wire.   Looks like a 16 AWG wire. 

Since I converted to one-wire alternator which remove the old voltage regulator and harness, I added a relay that is switched with the IGN on wire that used to run to the original voltage regulator.  It will switch the electric choke on/off with the ignition.

Anyway...I wanted to add that to the thread to help the next guy that is trying to trace down the original electric choke wire.

Edited by BackInBlack - 08-June-2017 at 2:52AM
-John
1973 GTS
 Post Reply Post Reply