The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Ranchero Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IGNITION - POWER BOTH DIRECTIONS ON THE KEY??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IGNITION - POWER BOTH DIRECTIONS ON THE KEY??
    Posted: 08-May-2015 at 9:08PM
My 72 Ranchero resto is progressing nicely, thanks to many of you who have assisted along the way, l have a question which to me doesn't seem quite right!
If l turn the key back from off, my park brake light comes on and l hear the click of relays from the front of the car, same as when l turn the key forward as to start the car.
Q/ - is that normal ?
If so - so be it.
If not, what do l need to look at and where to correct the problem, my thought was a wire from the ignition barrel or somewhere near the fuse box????
Cheers David.
David Dare
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2015 at 5:05AM
I'd have to look at the schematics for the exact circuits to verify, however I do know that there are circuits which are on during "Start" and others that are on during "Start" and "On" (or run). The internals of the ignition switch are such that some circuits are continuously connected from start and run, others not. I believe there are also some on only during "On" and not start. 

The fact is shown in the wire diagrams, although not to the level of detail or explanation consistent with large commercial jetliner wire diagram manuals.

Is it just the park brake light or other circuits that concern you?
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2015 at 8:58PM
It sounds like he is turning the key to the ACC position.
I don't know what all should come on in that one though, and my dash is apart right now so I can't go look.
Russ
aussie_dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2015 at 8:30AM
Yes, from the v back one place toward the driver ( Accessories) it lights up and relays click.
Is there a second place between the v (off position ) and the ignition on position.
like this :-

.       V     .       .         .
ACC  OFF    ?    IGN   STARTER ENGAGEMENT

David

David Dare
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2015 at 8:40AM
No, there is no second place between the v (off position ) and the ignition on position.
It is wired like this:
  .       V      .         .
ACC  OFF  IGN   STARTER ENGAGEMENT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2015 at 8:43AM
  .           V     .       .         .
ACC     OFF    ?    IGN   STARTER ENGAGEMENT

LIGHT              LIGHT
RELAY              RELAY
all power         all power

David.
David Dare

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2015 at 9:03AM
Is the position between off and ignition for steering unlock ?
David Dare
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2015 at 9:16AM
Yes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie_dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2015 at 8:35PM
Thank you Dave.
How do l test exactly what power l have to the ignition system when l turn the key back to Accessories.

David Dare
 Post Reply Post Reply