The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No oil getting to rockers??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soldmy72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No oil getting to rockers??
    Posted: 14-May-2015 at 3:01PM
Im finally getting around to trying to get my 72 GTS on the road.When I bought it,it had a lifter tick on both sides.Chatter from several rockers.
Pulled a valve cover,head is almost dry...very clean,no sludge build up,but hardly any oil either.I started it up with the cover off,and only 1 or 2 rockers barely getting a dribble of oil of the pushrod.
Pulled two pushrods,both plugged.Cleaned them out so I could see daylight through and reinstalled.I fired it up to see if I had oil flow on at least those 2 now...no dice.

While its running I can see oil puddling up around the lifters.

It has between 40-60 psi of oil pressure when I start it,so that's not the issue.

Any ideas???Im thinking most likely a lifter issue???

I know it was parked in storage for several years before I got it.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2015 at 4:28PM
if those push rods were plugged with crud, so may be the insides of the lifters??? the oil goes through small passages in through the lifter and out through the push rod
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
rough_72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rough_72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2015 at 7:20PM
I would pull the pan to just to make sure its not got crud in the bottom. The push rods not getting oil I would inspect the ends real well for damage. I'm not sure if the lifters are solid or hydraulic but I do know hydraulic will go flat and mostly no good. Some times you can soak them in oil and the will come back. Just my 2cents
AJ McKenna
 Post Reply Post Reply