The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

windshield wiper linkage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: windshield wiper linkage
    Posted: 06-June-2015 at 11:10AM
Past few years I have noticed my wipers slowing down and not quite working the way I remember them back in the day, so I removed the blade assy's and pulled the wiper linkage out of the car to see what the problem was. 1st thing I noticed was how sloppy the arm that attaches to the motor and actuates both sides was the drivers side was good and tight but the center and far right were just total slop! I recently replaced the bushings on my auto floor shift hsg and thought they might work so I miked the holes and the bushings and knew this would work and it really eliminated all the slop and what a difference!! So if you have this problem this a good fix and cheap too! D5ZZ-7A133-A is the part numbers and can be found at any vintage Mustang supplier such as NPD or Scott Drake etc. Thought I would pass this on as I've heard a few complaints about the linkage hope this helps someone out.   Tongue
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2015 at 12:11PM
interesting! mine were totally gone, so i made some from solid polyethylene plastic stock machined down in the metal lathe and pressed them in in the vise.
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2015 at 12:39PM
EXCELLENT info!

Was thinking the same thing, that somewhere there is a bushing I could use.
That is awesome.

Please show us some pictures to see how you did it and what they look like.

IF you do a little write up about it I will move this to the How-To section as well.

Edited by Regul8r - 06-June-2015 at 12:39PM
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2015 at 1:07PM
I do have some pictures of the before look but I can do a step by step and I can take some pictures and show how I did it! Sure!

Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2015 at 1:28PM
Anyone know of a replacement for the springs in the arms? (so they don't lift while driving?)
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2015 at 2:00PM
Great info.  Mine are shot too, and I wasn't sure how to go about replacing the bushings.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2015 at 2:32PM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Great info.  Mine are shot too, and I wasn't sure how to go about replacing the bushings.
     The shifter bushings are split ,so on the far right you have to slowly work it in because that side doesn't come apart,so you just work it in slowly then it pops in! The point at the motor is very simple just push it in and you are done. Wish i had taken pictures as I was doing it! I have before picts though!

russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2015 at 6:25PM
Wow, a buck and a quarter at NPD.
How many do we need?
And I could bring my linkage to Tucson for you to do for a how to. LOL
I'm up in the Phoenix area.
Thanks,
Russ

Edited by russosborne - 06-June-2015 at 6:26PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2015 at 7:24AM
ok going to try to post some pictures on this 

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2015 at 2:40PM
Great info and pics Gary!  I thought I was going to have to make bushings from scratch but this is an easier solution. 
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2015 at 2:59PM
AH, Plastic sleeves, I see now.

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2015 at 2:04PM
I have had this idea in the back of my head for quite sometime now so I finally decided it was time, as I got caught in a quickie Az rain event,and had no wipers at all! Being a parts guy I knew of the shifter bushings and after I checked the sizes knew it would work! so that's the fix!!

Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2015 at 2:28PM
I machined a delrin bushing for my wipers. Works like a charm. A self lubricating bronze would probably work really well and last forever too.
-Billy Conturo
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2015 at 3:37PM
Originally posted by Billy C Billy C wrote:

I machined a delrin bushing for my wipers. Works like a charm. A self lubricating bronze would probably work really well and last forever too.

Billy, that's what I was looking for too.
Something in the door pin bushing, delrin or other type of metal bushing.
Maybe press it in place with a cut groove and use a clip on both sides?

I LOVE this plastic bushing that pops right in... it is a GREAT fix to an age old problem and will probably be getting done on Lola soon.

Just curious if anyone can find a metal type bushing in the correct size as an option?

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2015 at 9:16AM
What I was looking for was something that was easy and readily available without totally dismantling the end linkages. The bushing at the motor is a piece of cake, however the ones one the end need a nylon or plastic split bushing to install without tearing them a part!

twintornados View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2017 at 2:15PM
Mine are shot and I ordered up some....we'll see.
Sold the Elite so now the hunt is on for my next "toy"...
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2017 at 3:08PM
Originally posted by twintornados twintornados wrote:

Mine are shot and I ordered up some....we'll see.

What did you order?  Mine are worn too, just haven't got around to fixing it since I rare use them.
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2017 at 12:58AM
I ordered up a set of four from Summit Racing as what was listed in the thread...when they get here, I'll snap some pics
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2018 at 5:13AM
Any more successes here to share?

I have to make these wiper bushings as well and looking into window roller replacements.
-John
1973 GTS
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2018 at 3:20PM
i ued some solid 1/2" thick HDPE drilled the center hole then used a nut and long bolt to mount it on the cut the outer size on the lathe then pressed them into the linkage with a vise, then put the shaft piece in and tack welded them back into place, quickly spraying them with water in a squrt bottle to cool it so not to melt the plasticConfused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2018 at 11:47PM
FYI all - they did not work in my case - lucky for me, I found a good working linkage on eBay and my wiper issues are resolved.
 Post Reply Post Reply