Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trunk Paint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trunk Paint
    Posted: 13-June-2015 at 1:21PM
I am trying to detail my trunk on my car.  There are some spots that I need to touch up as the paint has flaked off down to the steel. 
Does anyone know a source for a trunk pain that is close enough to stock that I can do some spots repairs without it standing out like a sore thumb?  My trunk is gray with the white specs. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2015 at 3:53PM
If you are trying to find the original light gray trunk paint, that they used in 1972. I can give you the 1972 part numbers, and you will have to match them to a current paint number/code. 

The 1972 ford part number for the original light gray trunk paint is: 4013-G

The Sherwin Williams part number for their light gray 1972 trunk paint is: J4-3821

These are both the same exact gray color as in the picture below.

Edited by dave302 - 13-June-2015 at 9:02PM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2015 at 9:00PM

Edited by dave302 - 13-June-2015 at 11:27PM
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2015 at 7:44AM
Is this just gray paint?  It should have white specs in it too. 

Vince

GTS.org Admin
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2015 at 1:48PM
I am not sure.
It is identified as light gray trunk paint for a 1972 ford.

Edited by dave302 - 16-June-2015 at 12:38AM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2015 at 1:55PM
In the 1972 color codes, the trunk paint is identified as dark blue gray trunk spatter finish. It has a paint code of: DS-1776.

You will need a very large nozzle on your spray gun to spray this spatter finish.

This is a different color than the light gray color listed above.

Edited by dave302 - 16-June-2015 at 12:41AM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2015 at 2:35PM
There are also several companies that sell similar paints in a spray can. Maybe you can contact them and ask for a sample, to match the sample to your existing trunk paint.

I have heard people say that some of these are a "relatively close match", to the original paint. But I have never tried them myself, so I can not confirm that.

Eastwood item number 10009Z has been used by some people.
It has been described as a "relatively close match".

I believe that someone had said that the plastikote 501 Black/Gray base coat is a "relatively close match". It probably will not be a perfect match, but it is cheaper than buying a whole quart of the perfect match paint, plus the catalyst.

And they make other trunk spatter paints as well, the 500 gray/white, the 502 dark green/aqua and the 503 gray/black/white spatter base coat paints. 

You will have to scroll down the page to see the other available colors.

To see more of these trunk base coat paints for sale Click here.

These base coats are used with a top coat.

To see the plastikote top coat for sale Click here.

Edited by dave302 - 14-June-2015 at 5:30PM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2015 at 3:05PM
The trunk in the pictures below was painted with Zolatone AIM Multi Color spatter paint. The color code is: ZOL DX1776.
I have heard people say that this is a "near perfect match". 

Others have described it as "a perfect match".

I believe that the smallest can that you can purchase is a quart size at a cost of about $49.96

I am not sure if you have to use a catalyst with this paint. You will have to ask the seller.

To see the catalyst for sale Click here.

To see the paint for sale Click here.

Edited by dave302 - 14-June-2015 at 5:11PM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2015 at 3:08PM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2015 at 3:22PM
There is another picture of the Zolatone DX1776 paint below.
The flash on the camera might make it appear slightly lighter than it actually is.

You might be able to get a color sample from the seller, to match it with your existing color.

Edited by dave302 - 14-June-2015 at 5:26PM
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2015 at 5:36PM
Originally posted by dave302 dave302 wrote:

Eastwood item number 10009Z has been used by some people.
It has been described as a "relatively close match".

Interesting. I'm just about to paint mine using the Eastwood paint but mine appeared to have the light gray with white splatter. A side note for the Eastwood paint is that it is water soluble and requires clear coating. 
They do sell a kit consisting of 3 cans paint w/ 2 cans clear but I'm not sure that 2 cans is enough for the insides of the quarters and trunk floor. As such I decided I'm just going to mix some catalyzed clear and spray it with that after it dries for a day.

edit Not for use over un-primed metal

Edited by lynchster - 14-June-2015 at 5:38PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2015 at 8:05PM
The light gray trunk paint with the white specs is listed in the 1971 color codes. It is color code DX-1756.

Edited by dave302 - 16-June-2015 at 12:35AM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2015 at 9:04PM
I have heard that Duplicolor makes a trunk paint that has been described as "relatively similar" to this color. Maybe you can find a sample of this color.

To see it for sale Click here.

Edited by dave302 - 14-June-2015 at 9:04PM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2015 at 9:15PM
Zolatone has also duplicated this color.
You will have to contact the seller for more information. 
To see it for sale Click here.

There is a picture of this color below.

Edited by dave302 - 15-June-2015 at 10:09PM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2015 at 9:23PM
There is another sample of the Zolatone color below.
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2015 at 9:28PM
This color also looks similar to the Plastikote 500 gray/white base coat trunk paint color.

There is a sample of this color below.
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2015 at 12:04AM
Click the link below to see a similar trunk paint from a different company.

Click the link below to see the same paint in a kit.

There is a sample of this paint below.

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2015 at 1:13AM
Thanks Dave, great info as usual.  I may just go with the Eastwood stuff.  I have had good luck with their products in the past and from the sample it looks pretty close to stock.  For a few small spots, it shouldn't stand out.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2015 at 1:19AM
You're welcome.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2015 at 1:01PM
Just an update on the trunk paint.  I found the duplicolor stuff locally at Canadian Tire.  I thought it would be close to the original paint, but it's not.  The gray is far too light and their is way too much white specs in it.  It looks like Eastwoods stuff is pretty much the same.  I think the paint description in the Dupont book calling this paint gray-blue is accurate.  The specs are white/light-gray in colour, but maybe that's just from fading over the years.  I checked with a couple local paint suppliers and no one seemed to think they could mix up the paint from those codes.

So short of repainting the entire trunk, which I don't really want to do since the original paint is 90% good, I started looking at all the on the shelf grays, until I found one on my own shelf.  Eastwoods Cast Paint is very close to the gray in the trunk.  It is just a touch darker and has more shine.  I touched up a small spot with it, then added some specs manually.  I then scotchbrited the finish to take away the shine and it's an acceptable match.  I mean it looks like a touch up, but it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb as I am sure the other paints would have.  And, it's not water based so I don't have to worry about putting on a clear coat.

My original trunk was undercoated by the Ford dealer when new.  For years my dad just had mats back there to keep things from getting dirty.  So for reference, I included a couple of pics on the original paint in the trunk for anyone who is doing a restoration (the seam sealer had to touched up in a couple of spots, that is the white in the pictures).

Original Trunk finish:

Close up of the trunk paint:

Vince

GTS.org Admin
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2015 at 4:18PM
Those floor plugs look odd. Did you replace those? 
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2015 at 11:45PM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

I think the paint description in the Dupont book calling this paint gray-blue is accurate.  The specs are white/light-gray in colour, but maybe that's just from fading over the years. I checked with a couple local paint suppliers and no one seemed to think they could mix up the paint from those codes.
The PPG-Ditzler paint code for this color is: DX-1756
The Dupont color code is: 389-257

This color was also used in the trunks of some 1965 mustangs from the factory. The name of this color in 1965 was 'Black White Brown".

This paint color has also been described as a gray color with a slight brown tint added to it. It has also been described as having white and black specs (spatter) added into it.

It was also used in the trunks of some ford vehicles (like the Torino) in 1969 and 1970 as well as 1971, originally from the factory.

dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2015 at 11:49PM
There is a picture below of a sample of this color. Maybe it will be possible for one of those paint stores to match this color into a pint of paint for you and you can add the white specks with a small paint brush.

Edited by dave302 - 16-June-2015 at 11:52PM
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2015 at 1:40PM
Chuck,

those plugs are original.  This trunk is basically as original as you'll find, as it was coated on day one by the Ford dealer.  Maybe different factories used different plugs?  They did have quite a bit of seam sealer on them from the factory some of which came off when I was cleaning the trunk. 

Dave,

Thanks for the info.  I tried mentioning all your info to the paint shops but they don't seem interested or able to use the old paint codes.  In any case, as you can see from my pics, the original paint is just gray with white(or off white) specs.  No black specs, and doesn't seem to have any brown in it.  Who knows, there could have been variation between factories too.  In any case, if you were restoring a trunk and repainting the entire thing, probably one of the repro colours would be fine or close enough.  No one would notice unless you have an original to compare it too.  But in my case I am just touching up the trunk so it is protected from rust and want to keep as much of the original paint as I can.  I don't want to leave the steel bare or seam sealer that had to be repaired unpainted.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 17-June-2015 at 1:41PM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2015 at 2:31PM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Chuck,

those plugs are original.  This trunk is basically as original as you'll find, as it was coated on day one by the Ford dealer.  Maybe different factories used different plugs?  They did have quite a bit of seam sealer on them from the factory some of which came off when I was cleaning the trunk. 

The look like ones in the catalog for the earlier body style Torino. Is yours an early car (mine is June)? 
Or maybe they just used two different suppliers.
Mine also had generous amounts of sealer used. I'm finishing up my trunk this weekend so the subject just seemed topical at the moment.  

Edited by lynchster - 17-June-2015 at 2:34PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2015 at 3:02PM
Have you checked any of the Mustang suppliers, online catalogs? I would think Ford used the same between models of the same era.
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2015 at 3:33PM
My car was made in March of 1972, but it was built in Oakville. 

As for the Mustang suppliers and such, all seem to just carry the spray bomb Eastwood, Duplicolor, et al. paints. 
Vince

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply