The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Ranchero Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1972 Ranchero GT - Q code - 4speed value?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1972 Ranchero GT - Q code - 4speed value?
    Posted: 23-June-2015 at 3:23PM
Hello Folks. I have a general value question for the Ranchero buffs on this forum. I know there are many factors involved. But, I am just curious what a ballpark value would be. Here is it's history. I received this Ranchero a few years back. It is a factory Q code - 4speed car with low miles. It was my very close cousins. It was his baby. I remember the day he brought it home. He passed away in a construction accident in the mid-1980's. It has been sitting in my uncle's garage since. Before I went to pick it up I was told it was still all original. Then when I went to pick it up I noticed it was repainted and a new vinyl top was put on. They did an excellent job on the quality. I had found out that his wife was having the car repainted for my cousin for their wedding anniversary but before it was done he had passed away. The vinyl top had a rip and it had a scratch down the passenger side quarter (that extremely long quarter!) where her nephew scratched it with the handle bars on his bicycle. She felt bad about it and decided to have it repainted. The car was part of their family. The car has never had any rust. It was always garaged and never driven in inclement weather. I had the car on my lift and looked at it up and down, inside and out, and top to bottom. The engine bay, drive train, suspension (with the exception of antique air shocks, lol!), interior (with the exception of reupholstered bench seat), and body panels are completely original. I had thought it was a 3.50 posi but it is the original 3.25 posi. It runs and drives well. When I received it, it had Ansen Sprint wheels with extremely dry-rotted tires. So, I threw on some tires I had laying around on it just to drive it around the yard a little and to move it around my shop. Please take a look at the pictures and tell me what you think regarding value. Oh, and yes, this is the car that had the factory ram-air assembly that I had restored and sold on E-bay back in 2012. I know this car is not worth all that much in its current state. I know, too, that it would be worth much more with the ram-air set-up. But, I know it has some value.

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2015 at 2:07AM
WOW. A Ram Air, 4 speed , CJ, '72 Ranchero GT had to be a 1 of 1. If it is as solid as you say and a running original, I would guess somewhere between $8K and $15K (depending on the actual condition.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
twosfamily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2015 at 3:00AM
Thanks for the reply! The Marti report says its very low production numbers. It does say 1 of 1 with the engine/trans code, paint/trim code and black vinyl roof combination. But, I know longer have the Ram-Air set-up. I had sold it to pay for a family health issue. It is in very nice shape. I had plans of a frame-off. Unfortunately, I am moving and I am debating options. I had asked my cousins if they would like their brothers car back if I am not able to take it with me and they just want to sell it. They have no real connection to the car, but I very much do have a connection to it. I remember the day he ordered it and the day he picked it up. We were very close. He was very excited, it was his baby! I am just trying to figure out its value now as opposed to if I restore it to original and how much money I will have in it. Any constructive information or recommendations are very much appreciated. I check "Completed Listings" on Ebay often for 1972 Q code - 4speed cars, but I have not found any as of yet.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2015 at 2:14PM
A Ram Air Q-Code Ranchero with all the factory stuff in decent shape would definitely go 8-15k unrestored! Without the Original Ram Air Unit... it DOES drop it but not too bad.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2015 at 3:28PM
if you like the car and have a connection to it, i'd keep it!! how many people have said "i wish i'd have kept a certain car" Cry and regretted it forever?!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2015 at 3:38PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

if you like the car and have a connection to it, i'd keep it!! how many people have said "i wish i'd have kept a certain car" Cry and regretted it forever?!!

This!
If you don't need the money try to keep the car. You can always sell it, but normally you can never get it back if you change your mind.
Russ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2015 at 1:28AM
Thank you folks for your replies! It seems to be a common theme, keep the car if at all possible! I agree. I do have a strong connection to this car. I have the close family tie AND I really, really like the car. I have had and restored many cars over the years and never really had a problem with selling them when I needed to and I sold a couple because someone approached me at a convenience store or a car show and offered me the proverbial "money I could not refuse". Please do not get me wrong, classic, musclecar, hot rods, street rods, and the like are my passion and I thoroughly enjoy restoring them. But when I finish them, I often find myself selling them before they get a scratch or a ding. I guess it is my addiction to details and pursuit of perfection. I let someone else enjoy them and be the first to mar them with the first scratch or ding, lol! I do not know if any of this makes sense? Maybe it is just me. Anyway, the Ranchero is different. At the same time, I really do not have a way to transport it the distance of my move without spending money I really do not have right now.
RAPTOR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAPTOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2015 at 3:07AM
You should of left the Ram Air on it . You could of gotten a lot more for the car . I dont know what you sold the Ram air for on Ebay . But i hope you got more then $2,000. Because  otherwise you would of got more out of a complete intact Ram -air  on the car with a 4spd .  But like everyone else said if you dont need the money keep it and Drive it !!!

1972 Torino Sport 4Spd Q 351c
1996 Bronco XLT
2010 SVT Raptor
2003 H2 Hummer
1977 CB 750 Cafe Racer
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2015 at 3:36AM
I bid $2400 and didn't even come close. The $$$ I'm sure was very much needed. Good luck. ... Rick

Edited by 72GTS351CJ - 15-July-2015 at 3:37AM
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2015 at 6:48AM
I would not have even thought about selling the ram-air unit unless it was absolutely necessary. It was through the great people like many on this forum that helped me appreciate its value. I would like to again thank everyone for their well wishes and prayers (Thank you Rick & others!)! It is looking like I may be able to take the Ranchero with me after all. If it comes down to it and I have to sell it I would like to offer it on this site first. If I couldn't keep it, I would like to see someone get it that really appreciates it for what it is and would drive or restore it. Thank you all!
renotorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renotorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2015 at 11:15AM
I'm with the rest of the group, keep it if you can. I have virtually the same car, 4 speed Q code GT Ranchero. It's been around but still looks very nice with recent paint. The downside compared to yours is that someone installed a moon roof, changed the factory bench seat with over stuffed split seats and changed the 3.25 diff with a 4.10 which I'm going to change as soon as I find a 3.25 or higher posi -lock. Also they cut out the dash for a single DIN CD unit. I'm using as many NOS parts as I can find, even electrical switches etc. Anyway, good luck to you no matter which way you need to go.... CB
C Bell

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2015 at 11:58PM
With much apprehension on my part (and encouragement from my wife, lol!), I have decided to sell it. We discussed it at length and with what is going on in life right now it just makes sense for us. I know I will regret it later (even more then I do now). Because I am selling it, I put it back up in the air and really poked and prodded. I always want to make sure I am as accurate as possible in my description. I did find some rust on the drivers side rear floor, just under the rear part of the seat, after prodding a soft spot. It can be patched easily without a complete pan. If anyone is interested, I will get pictures of the floors and any other parts they would like. Being original (except exterior paint and seat upholstery), I like many of the factory markings that are still present like on the firewall, valve covers, and power steering pump.  Did Ford dip the power steering pump in paint or was it painted by hand? The only reason I ask is that this pump has some good runs in the paint, almost like it was dipped? I know Ford did that on some pieces of cars over the years.

Now, my next problem is coming up with a price. What would be a fair way to fix a price on the car? I usually see what others actually sell for (like completed listings on Ebay or the like), not asking price. Then adjust accordingly. It just seems tough for me because I want to be fair, sell it quickly, not ask ridiculous money like I commonly see on Ebay, and yet not give it away. I know it is not worth much as it sits, but I think it is worth a little more then a Ranchero of the same year with less options in regards to drive train and being a GT. Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Nomadlife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nomadlife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2015 at 7:07AM
Honestly, the Ranchero is even more niche than the Torino it was based on. That being said, if you have time to wait, I would say that there will be someone who is willing to pay for it.

Unfortunately the Ranchero restored to top condition will not bring anywhere close to what a Torino GTS Q-code 4 spd will. Even though I know that many are talking about the auto equipped Mecum sale, but that is an anomoly, 1 sale does not a trend make (emotional buys - which are most of the sales recorded at BJ, and Mecum are not indicitive of market value). A Q-code 4 spd should realistically bring 25-28k max (barring the emotional impulses) - the buyer from Mecum is sitting on $15k of negative equity - I hope they want to keep it forever.

With a GTS bringing 25k max in prime condition, a Ranchero will only bring 15-18k (again remember that if emotions get involved it can run away). Your factory ram air will bump it a bit, but without it present, it doesn't help. As you can see we have a problem with our Rancheros since we almost certainly will put more into them than we can ever get out of them. In the condition I see yours in, I would say $7-8k (depending on the severity of the rust you mention - and if it is easy for you to fix, I would do it). You might start at $10k obo and have 8 as your backstop.
Sorry to hear you have to part with it, it has history with you. GLWS
Marilyn - '72 Ranchero 500 - known her since I was born, and traveled across the states in her; first in the back, then as the driver. Under restoration (and a little modification)

James

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2015 at 9:52AM
Thank you for the insight and feedback Nomadlife. It is a great vehicle and does means alot to me. What you mentioned certainly makes sense. These are great cars but I definitely realize the niche market there is for them (even though I think they are the best looking year for the Torino/Ranchero!). Not having the in-depth knowledge of these particular cars that others like yourself have, I very much appreciate the knowledgeable feedback. Keep it coming!
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2015 at 1:17PM
Originally posted by Nomadlife Nomadlife wrote:

Honestly, the Ranchero is even more niche than the Torino it was based on. That being said, if you have time to wait, I would say that there will be someone who is willing to pay for it.

Unfortunately the Ranchero restored to top condition will not bring anywhere close to what a Torino GTS Q-code 4 spd will. Even though I know that many are talking about the auto equipped Mecum sale, but that is an anomoly, 1 sale does not a trend make (emotional buys - which are most of the sales recorded at BJ, and Mecum are not indicitive of market value). A Q-code 4 spd should realistically bring 25-28k max (barring the emotional impulses) - the buyer from Mecum is sitting on $15k of negative equity - I hope they want to keep it forever.

With a GTS bringing 25k max in prime condition, a Ranchero will only bring 15-18k (again remember that if emotions get involved it can run away). Your factory ram air will bump it a bit, but without it present, it doesn't help. As you can see we have a problem with our Rancheros since we almost certainly will put more into them than we can ever get out of them. In the condition I see yours in, I would say $7-8k (depending on the severity of the rust you mention - and if it is easy for you to fix, I would do it). You might start at $10k obo and have 8 as your backstop.
Sorry to hear you have to part with it, it has history with you. GLWS
  What he said x2Cry
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2015 at 10:25AM
Nomadlife and Ranchero Fan, thank you very much for the insight. It is always great to get information from folks that really know these cars! I can see what you mean by a niche. I have been watching the 1972 Ranchero's on Ebay for a little while now and watching the completed ads. It seems like many are bid on, reserve not met, and then relisted. I have seen many listed over and over again. Many are never even bid on. I figured they were just asking too much or starting their auctions too high. I have also seen several that were supposed to have been sold according the auction but then are listed again by the same owner? What is up with that?
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2015 at 12:19AM
If they're never bid on, or reserve is not met, then most likely they're priced too high. It's all about demand and that "niche".  It's going to take that special someone to come along at the right time, willing to spend the seller's asking price.  The seller has to be patient.  But, still they may never get their asking price.  They may have to lower their expectations, or just hold onto the car indefinitely.

Originally posted by twosfamily twosfamily wrote:

I have also seen several that were supposed to have been sold according the auction but then are listed again by the same owner? What is up with that?

This could very well be shill bidding.  The seller has a friend or another account bidding the auction up to make sure he gets what he wants.  If it's happening continuously with the same seller and auction, then it most likely is shill bidding.  Since there isn't a true buyer at the other end, the seller just relists it.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2015 at 6:03AM
This is what folks selling Ranchero's for the high dollar DON'T GRASP. The "but they're on ebay for $xxxx".  yeah, they may be on there but they aren't SELLING for that much.  NADA blue book values are completely skewed in the wrong direction.  It's definitely a niche vehicle.  Don't get me wrong, I love them and have had my share (67 C CODE, a 72 F code and a 72 N code GT, a 73 s code GT, a 75 H code GT and a 76 A code GT) but the majority of them just don't bring the big $$.  
Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2015 at 12:15PM
mcford, I certainly hear what you are saying. That is one of the reasons why I came here to get advice. When I look around the internet, I see asking prices for them all over the place, with no rhyme or reason, for cars that seem to be in similar condition with similar options. I am definitely not looking for high dollars. I am just looking to be reasonable. While my car is a relatively low production number car, I know it is NOT the "holy grail" that people search for years just to see one, I have also come to realize that the market for these great cars is not immense. I have had some success in just doing as much research as possible and then just putting it out there and see what the market will bear at the time. Unfortunately, in the position I am in now, I do not have a lot of options with my time constraints.
Nomadlife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nomadlife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2015 at 7:05AM
If you need to get it sold now (within 14 days), I would recommend making sure that it is drivable, show any of the poor spots so the buyer can feel good about bidding and asking other questions. Realistically you have 2 options, auction (start low but have reserve set at 8k with a BIN of 10k-if that takes care of your issues), or post in the niche websites (here), and fb groups and set your price reasonable (if you are wanting top dollar it will take time). Honestly, I would be interested in your Ranchero, but there is no way I would swing 10, or even 8 (because I am not looking for it right now), if it was drivable and priced at 6k, I would probably tell you to consider it sold (as I am sure others would as well).
I mention this because these are the areas where those folks are that appreciate the vehicle. For what you are looking at (getting the most in the least amount of time, I would recommend going the auction route, making the BIN attractive and below what you hope it will auction for (bird in the hand)
Marilyn - '72 Ranchero 500 - known her since I was born, and traveled across the states in her; first in the back, then as the driver. Under restoration (and a little modification)

James

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2015 at 1:59PM
Excellent advice Nomadlife! I do not have to have it sold within 14 days, I was thinking a month. But my problem is two-fold. I do not have any more money to put into the car and my out-of-town work schedule is making it difficult to finish getting the car ready to sell. I am not one to just put a car out there without going through it. I have already gone through the mechanical, the brakes, the fuel system, the electrical, and now I am going through cleaning the exterior/interior. Until I decided to sell, my plan was to do a frame-off so I wanted to see what I had to work with anyway. The electrical was all fine with the exception of the starter solenoid. After sitting the 30+ years, I made sure to prep the engine before firing it. I drained all the fluids. I have one of those video inspection cameras, so I checked out the cylinder walls, they all looked fine. I pulled the distributor and valve covers to prime the oil pump to be sure oil was getting up to all the valvetrain. It was all fine. The rockers, springs, etc. looked excellent, nearly new. I turned it over by hand for for a while. I put in all new wires, plugs, cap/rotor. I rebuilt the carb. The old gas tank wreaked of turpentine with the nasty old gas that was sitting in it for all that time. So, I purchased a new tank and sending unit. I flushed the fuel lines from the tank to carb. The old master cylinder had a blockage in the front reservoir so I replaced the master cylinder. The rear brake line with the rubber hose from the axle to the frame was dry rotted, so I replaced it. In so doing I broke the brake line ends that fed into it. So I ended up replacing the rear brake lines from the distribution block back. All the pads actually looked nearly new. I have repaired or replaced several other things, they just escape me right now. I have only driven it a few miles since, but it seems to run and drive well. Oh, it does need suspension bushings, they are all dry rotted. I recently turned my attention the paint. After the 30+ years of dust/dirt/grime the surface was rough. So I decided to do some color sanding and buffing. While there are still some scratches, some chips, and two very small dings, the color seemed to come back nice, with what I think is great DOI for a 30+ year old paint job. I attached a pic of the tailgate (which I removed from the car to make it easier to buff).  As you can see, it looks much nicer then the pictures in my first post when I just got the car. Time permitting, I may weld in the floor patches. Anyway, I am rambling on again! I just enjoy talking/typing about the old cars! I just wish I had more money, time, and the means to take the car with me and give it a proper restoration!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2015 at 12:01AM
I have a question for all you detail and originality folks. On the rear tail light housings, the inner notch around the lenses, is painted red. I also have another set of spare tail light housings that have the remnants of same red paint. I am thinking that is original. Is that true? If it is original, any idea why this was painted red?
73 Ranchero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 Ranchero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2015 at 4:50AM
I think that the 77 -79 were red,  the 72 -76 were black.
Bob
73 Ranchero

mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2015 at 6:01AM
Never have seen that part red but all the tail lamp assemblies i had were 72-76 and all were black.
Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2015 at 6:52AM
Here is a picture of the old one that I have. Both sets have it. They both have D2 part numbers. It is faded in areas but shows it well. Maybe most just fade over time?

n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2015 at 8:22AM
I wanna say that Joe (unlovedford) had discovered this same color difference when I had sold him a pair a couple of years ago.  My bezels came off of a 77-79 Ranchero.  The wagons, which is what Joe needed them for, share the same taillight bezels.  But, I'm not sure if we determined the reasons for the differences.  I have no idea if the part numbers changed over the years, but I'm pretty sure the part was the same from 72-79 and interchangeable (for the most part) between wagons and Rancheros. 
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2015 at 9:05AM
Red painted insert is original for 1972-1973 wagons and Rancheros. It is an odd color, very much like anodized red - somewhat transparent. After 1973, Ford went to Black as the insert color. My mom's original '72 Squire were red, my original '72 Squire is red, my '72 Torino base wagon, my '72 Ranchero GT and the '73 Ranchero CJ I had were all red. The '74 Ranchero GT I parted had black and the '79 Ranchero GT I had were black as well. After years of use, the red faded and most painted them black. If you find a pair that is not painted, flip them upside down (where the sun and direct rain would not hit) and examine them very closely for tiny traces of the red in the crevasses. You will either see black or the red.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
andrewok1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewok1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2015 at 12:14PM
that's 100 % 72-73 red /all other years black/andy
GET IT GOT IT GONE !!!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply