The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steering wheel adapter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering wheel adapter
    Posted: 06-July-2015 at 6:08AM
Just wondering what are you guys using as far as adapter. I want to go with a different wheel (6 bolts) and except for the momo adapter (pricey), I don't find anything.
renotorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renotorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2015 at 8:47AM
Take a look at the Grant adapter. I'm having the same problem. Another company has 2 adapters listed, one for a 3 bolt wheel and one for a 6 bolt wheel however they say the adapters don't have an accommodation (holes) for the steertng wheel lock pin, thus no locking wheel. I think the company is GT Products. Both Jegs and Summit Racing have them in their catalogs.. If you want to retain the locking steering wheel it looks like Grant is the one. What I can't find out is the right wheel dish measurement to come out with about the wheel position... Anybody else out there ?
C Bell
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2015 at 4:53PM
There are a few more pictures of it in my project thread but here is the way I went about it.
Originally posted by Billy C Billy C wrote:

I machined an adapter from a template that I laser cut.

There are two different 6 bolt patterns on the adapter plate. It all barely fits together with the horn wiring.
-Billy Conturo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renotorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2015 at 6:59PM
I'm away from home right and my interner connection is not good. Should be back home Mon. or Tue. So I can pick your brain. Been watching your machine and fabrication work... NICE !
C Bell
Paul100ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul100ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2015 at 3:39AM
You should sell those...Thumbs Up
Nothing stops this train.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renotorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2015 at 9:23AM
Well I'm back home and a little fuzzy after an all nignt drive.. I guess we start with the three bolt adapter. First does it allow the steering lock pin to operate ? Next, does it have the 2 circular tracks on the back for the two horn brushes on the turn signal switch and is there connectors on the front of the adapter for a non-grounded horn button ? I guess the question is, could you mount a three hole steering wheel directly to that adapter. The piece you machined is AWESOME !
At first I wondered why so many holes but figured that they allow for steering wheel alignment with the 6 bolt wheel. I think you should sell them also, probably would need a million dollar CNC machine. Still don't see exactly how the horn wires make it through to the button. Looks like one is wrapped around in back of the first adapter. This may be academic as I'm using a universal wiring harness that has GM type colors and a regular horn relay so I may need to use a grounding horn button after all. That should need only one of the horn brushes and to ground that particular wire out of the turn signal switch. Boy was that long winded !
C Bell
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2015 at 3:05PM
the grant kit i used on my car locked and has the two horn rings i don't recall the part # off hand but it's for the torino and tons of other fords as well. and i used a grant gt wheel it uses the small horn button which has the two terminals for that system and a ground spring/wire/clip on the outer edge ( if you use the ford two hot wire system you must pull the side clip thing out and cut it off!!!)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2015 at 3:26PM
Hmm. The three bolt mounting part was on my car already. I'm assuming now it isn't stock. All I did was adapt the 3 bolt to 6 bolt with that plate. There are two different 6 bolt patterns out there so I figured I'd have both for any future needs. The 3 bolt part has the lock pin slots and two horn wire tracks.
-Billy Conturo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2015 at 5:29PM
stock, all that was made into the factory wheel,all one piece as part of the wheel.
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renotorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2015 at 5:35PM
Thanks Billy.. I'm guessing now that your adapter is a grant.. They actually make a six bolt as well. Sometimes I tend to overthink things, old age I guess. The piece you made is still AWESOME !
C Bell
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2015 at 5:39PM
found it: grant # 3249
 Mustang Mounting Kit Grant Steering Wheel  1968 69 70 71 72 1973
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renotorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2015 at 5:40PM
Thanks caljohnney.. Looks like the Grant is the only one that covers all the bases as far as the locking function and 2 wire Ford horn system... CB
C Bell

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renotorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2015 at 5:44PM
Perfect, many thanks... CB
C Bell
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2015 at 5:53PM
what style of wheel are you planning to use?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renotorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2015 at 6:23PM
Just lost my reply I'll try again tomorrow.. Thanks. CB
C Bell
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2015 at 11:44PM
Thanks Johnny, I guess I will have to drill it to fit a 6 bolts wheel. The steering well is really close as is, not looking forward to stack up adapters kust to run the wheel I want.
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2015 at 2:58PM
Originally posted by renotorino renotorino wrote:

Thanks Billy.. I'm guessing now that your adapter is a grant.. They actually make a six bolt as well. Sometimes I tend to overthink things, old age I guess. The piece you made is still AWESOME !

I can't find anything about a 6 bolts adapter online, do you have any lead? 
HemiHusky81 View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HemiHusky81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2023 at 11:26AM
Hey what’s the part called in the 4th picture under your adapter? Been looking all over for the name because mine crapped out and I need the name.
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2023 at 4:48PM
I’m not sure as that was already on the car. Looks like others seem to think it’s a grant part. It’s been a long time since I worked on this project so I don’t quite remember the details. 
-Billy Conturo
 Post Reply Post Reply