The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hammer and Dolly work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hammer and Dolly work
    Posted: 05-August-2015 at 6:50AM
I just bought a cheap hammer and dolly set from the local advance auto.

Using it to straighten out my core support and maybe experiment with taking out a few dings and pops on my car after some practice.

From the research I have found I want to use a "Hammer off dolly" technique for roughing out and a "Hammer on dolly" for finishing Does anybody have any advice of a how to for hammer off dolly to start?

It doesn't look to hard to do, but I'd like to get some advice from folks that have done this more than a time or two.
ZC
2016 F-150 xl 2.7 liter
73 Gran Torino Formal roof, Ten damn years, and its almost there.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2015 at 10:19AM
Check both the hammer and dolly faces for sharp edges before you use them. This is one of those tool types where "cheap" frequently means "Crap".
First, try out the tools on spare/scrap metal, to get a feel for how they move the metal, and how they work in your hands.  Distance off dolly will change the effects of the force applied to the metal, so there is no hard and fast rule. Different metal thicknesses, different damage to be repaired, different tools, are also factors.

"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2015 at 10:39AM
Good advice.
And start out with very light tapping. Work your way up to just hard enough to get the job done. This is not the time to take out your frustrations by banging as hard as you can.
Russ
ZCowher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2015 at 3:18PM
I havent had a chance to look yet but if I do find a sharp edge on the hammer could take it to a grinding wheel and put a quick chamfer to it. I under stand what sharp hammer edges do.
ZC
2016 F-150 xl 2.7 liter
73 Gran Torino Formal roof, Ten damn years, and its almost there.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2015 at 5:58AM
hammer off the dolly means to place the dolly at the edge of the dent and hammer just beside the dolly. hammer on the dolly means hammering directly over the dolly
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply