The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hello -  new to the forum with a torino project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello - new to the forum with a torino project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squarethumps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2015 at 1:55PM
Ahhhh .. that totally explains the difference. That's the information I really needed to know the difference. Mine is definitely the more common 400 in the pic you have. The longer rib to the front is exactly what I have.

I would like to be able to know if the block was stroked as a 351 or a 400 originally. I'm guessing it actually was a 351M because Ford wouldn't have stroked a Gran Torino sports car to the specs for a truck ? would they ?
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2015 at 1:59PM
400 was available in passenger cars too, engine code S in Torinos, (5th digit of the VIN)
but it's 6-1 / 1/2 doz of the other as to what it started life as, it's a 351M now.
no gain in rebuilding a 400 to a 351M other than to have a running engine with available parts on hand

pretty sure 351M should be engine code H ?

Edited by Rockatansky - 28-December-2015 at 2:00PM
72 GT Ute

squarethumps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squarethumps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2015 at 2:00PM
ok ... summit 1792. Thanks !

That is basically a mild cam upgrade correct ? and then crank probably didn't have to be changed for this mod.

So I'm probably dealing with a 351M engine that had a mild cam, with an edlebrock intake and carb kit.

So maybe this thing might just be able to get out of it's own way .. lol.

I shouldn't expect more HP at the dyno than ... 250 ?   300 ?   ( We will eventually be taking it to my buddy's wheel dyno machine and getting the HP at the wheels )

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squarethumps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2015 at 2:03PM
OK .. "S" code .. YES .. the 5th digit of my VIN is an S ..

So then ..

this was a 400 that has been restroked to a 351 .. which means that it got a new 351 crank, 351 cam, edlebrock intake and edlebrock carb.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squarethumps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2015 at 2:04PM
AHHH .. .and that also means that more than likely the 400 block that is in the car is probably the ORIGINAL block that came with the car.

Stroking it to a 351 would allow for higher RPM faster correct ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2015 at 2:11PM
how sure are you that you got an accurate measure of the stroke? some guys say it's not possible to be accurate because of the angle of the spark plug hole & the wire or whatever needs to be curved yada yada

if it's a 351M my guess would be that the complete engine got swapped at some point but who knows?

yeah it doesn't look like too bad of a cam, I just hope they did the heads right because they don't accept increased lift cams w/o work, or maybe they're 351C-2V heads?

hp at the wheels... i'll wait for the results. I remember an article where they dyno'd an M block @ 89hp before tear down IIRC 
72 GT Ute

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2015 at 2:15PM
Squarethumps wrote:
"Stroking it to a 351 would allow for higher RPM faster correct ?"
You would think... except the 351M uses funky/clunky heavy pistons to allow it to use the same connecting rods as a 400.
Also, neither is a high RPM engine. Large bearing diameters and a mediocre (I'm being generous here Tongue) factory oiling system.

Edited by Big Bird - 28-December-2015 at 2:16PM
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2015 at 2:17PM
Originally posted by squarethumps squarethumps wrote:

AHHH .. .and that also means that more than likely the 400 block that is in the car is probably the ORIGINAL block that came with the car.

Stroking it to a 351 would allow for higher RPM faster correct ?

it could be the original block, or it could be exactly the same as the original block. only way to be sure would be to find a partial VIN stamped in, matching or not. some blocks got stamped / some did not

theoretically a smaller stroke is capable of turning more rpm due to reduced centrifugal load

in reality it is what it is, too many variables
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squarethumps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2015 at 2:18PM
EIGHTY-NINE ?!?!

YIKES !!!

I'm hoping to have a little more than that. It sounds _MEAN_ .. .but ... that doesn't mean much itself ..

I'm 90% sure I got it .. I was able to keep the measure tube at basically the same spot on the piston for the low mark and the high mark. It correlates with the summit-1792 cam too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2015 at 2:35PM
well if you ever drop the oil pan, the crank cast code for a 400 is 5M and the code for a 351M is 1K

the 89hp motor was totally whipped out, the boys at the dyno got a pretty good shock after it cam back built. probably as a 400 
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squarethumps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2015 at 4:04PM
In all this most interesting discussion I hadn't gotten a radiator manufacturer recommendation ? No one has ? I'll order another Champion Radiator ?

Much appreciated.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2015 at 5:06PM
my stock one seems to be working fine at the moment, but i was considering the champion aluminum one, if needed later.
 joe had one in his cougar he just sold, i think the only complaint he had was the overflow fitting leaked and he fixed it with JB weld or something like that?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2015 at 2:04AM
Yes, I was very satisfied with the Champion radiators I bought online. The overflow tube had some damaged threads that stripped out when I attempted to screw it into the radiator. I ordered 2 of these at the same time and both were like that. Bad run, I suppose, as other folks have used these with great success. As far as performance, they were excellent at keeping the car cool (along with a 160 degree thermostat), looked great in polished finish, installed easily with a minimum of modifications, and I never had to look at it again. That in itself is a compliment.

Edited by unlovedford - 30-December-2015 at 2:07AM
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squarethumps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2016 at 8:27AM
OK.

It's been a while but I finally did order a new Champion Radiator. This one was better than the last one, because it didn't have any scuff marks on top and the top two rails weren't as wavy.

I ordered and installed a new Tuff Stuff Chrome water pump and everything is installed and running nicely now.

I'll put up some pictures here this evening when I get home.

In the pile of parts that came with the car I've found the front headlight mounting brackets and pans, and the hood latch center support.

Hopefully within a few days, as I get time, I'll be able to quickly piece everything on the front together. Then I think I'll have a warm and fuzzy feeling that I have all the parts for the body and then we start handling all the detail work like interior lights and the carpet trimming that needs to be done.

Again, I'll put some pictures of progress on here as we go along.

One of these days I'm going to crawl under this engine and get the numbers if I can find them.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123