The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Latch Pillar Seals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2019 at 4:54AM
I asked them if the new pieces had the metal core, were UV resistant and how pliable they are. They state that there is NO metal core like the originals, they are NOT very flexible and are NOT UV resistant, but so far they are holding up in the Arizona climate.

Here are a few pics of my NOS passenger side seal for reference.....

Once my 'Mater is off to the body shop, I'll be ordering a set for mine!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2019 at 12:32PM
interesting... i'm assuming they are a hard plastic?? which would eliminate the need for a metal backing, probably a polyethylene compound?
oh btw joe... a while back you were thinking about 3d printing the std cluster rear housings, and you inquired about their chemical makeup?... i'm pretty sure those housings were made from poly vinyl chloride PVC
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2019 at 2:45PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

a while back you were thinking about 3d printing the std cluster rear housings, and you inquired about their chemical makeup?... i'm pretty sure those housings were made from poly vinyl chloride PVC

and we all know how well that turned out Angry
72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2019 at 4:59PM
what being made of PVC???? yeah UV and ozone does deteriorate it but the grey PVC they use for electrical conduit is UV resistant Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2019 at 8:38AM
You're probably right that it's plastic if it's 3D printed.  I am not sure how well that'd work compared to rubber.  It also doesn't look like the rear window on a fastback could roll down very well with that new design?  At least someone is trying...
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
forddude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forddude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2019 at 5:29AM
If any member ends up buying a pair, please let us all know your experience. Am sure we all would like to know the fit and quality.
72 GTS sportsroof, original survivor
72 GTS formal, parted
96 Tbird 4.6, 18k org mi
13 Stang 5.0 6spd
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2019 at 2:01PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

what being made of PVC???? yeah UV and ozone does deteriorate it but the grey PVC they use for electrical conduit is UV resistant Wink

Key word is resistant. Even Sch 80 doesn't stand up to sunlight for too long without distorting.  Look at a PVC run strapped horizontally against a wall in the sun for more than a year.  Looks like the pipes on the wall at the rebel base on Hoth.LOL  And it expand and contracts quite a bit too.  
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2019 at 4:40AM
Vince, I am looking at ordering a set myself to see how they are.
If you need, I can order a set for you and mail up via USPS.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2019 at 2:25PM
Jeff and I are in the process of getting these made CORRECTLY.

Supplies are on the way for us to start. they WILL have the metal insert and be of a flexible rubber OEM style material that do the job they were designed to do... KEEP WATER OUT OF THE QUARTERS

Plastic isn't going to do that.
Carl, Member/Admin since 07. Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Owner- www.CaNDeCustoms.com
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2019 at 2:54PM
Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2019 at 11:45PM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

Vince, I am looking at ordering a set myself to see how they are.
If you need, I can order a set for you and mail up via USPS.

Thanks for the offer Andy.  I am going to hold off though, until someone reports back on if these are any good or not, especially if Carl is planning on getting some better quality ones made up.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
rdtmto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rdtmto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2019 at 5:53AM
We thought we would join the forum since we make the torino pillar seals. Just to let you know: we have changed the wording on our site. The pillar seals are made of PLA, Polyactic acid, not PVC. They are reasonably UV resistant and slightly flexible. We have had them on our torino's for two years in Arizona. We haven't had a problem with them as far as UV because they are behind closed doors. As far as flexibility: they don't need to flex, they fit right on the car. You can push them around a little to get a good fit.  We have sold many pairs and the buyers are very happy with them.
Thanks
Barb K.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2019 at 12:35PM
Thanks for posting more information on the latch pillar seals. Stick around the forum, there is lots of great people and info here.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 28-May-2019 at 2:47PM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
73GranTorinoSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2019 at 4:07PM
It's great to hear you are making the pillar seals. I am hoping you are referring to the "quarter window" seals pictured in the forum above. If yesI have been searching for a source of new pillar seals for years and I am interested in 2 sets for my 1972 and 1973 Gran Torino Sports. Can I get pricing information and pictures please? How can I find your website? Thanks. Danny L Haughn, Daytona Beach FL.
1972 Q-Code Gran Torino Sport
1973 Gran Torino Sport
1965 Mustang Coupe
2014 Mustang Convertible
chris5769 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris5769 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2019 at 2:24AM
I bought a set of the #d printed seals and am very happy with them thus far.  I had to do a minor amount of trimming, but that was to be expected.  They have just the right amount of flex to allow them to properly seat.  Thanks Barb!!
Cheers,

Chris

1975 Gran Torino
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2019 at 3:30AM
Originally posted by 73GranTorinoSport 73GranTorinoSport wrote:

It's great to hear you are making the pillar seals. I am hoping you are referring to the "quarter window" seals pictured in the forum above. If yesI have been searching for a source of new pillar seals for years and I am interested in 2 sets for my 1972 and 1973 Gran Torino Sports. Can I get pricing information and pictures please? How can I find your website? Thanks. Danny L Haughn, Daytona Beach FL.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
rdtmto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rdtmto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2019 at 5:00AM
Thanks for the positive feedback Chris! The website is: www.torino-pillar-seals.com. We appreciate everyone who have installed them on their cars.
Thanks everyone!
Barb
Barb K.
rdtmto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rdtmto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2019 at 3:02PM
Please see our website at www.torino-pillar-seals.com to see the whole story behind the making of these seals.
Thanks!
Barb K.
rdtmto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtmto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2020 at 3:51AM
We are very aware of this website. Actually we are members. We continue to make the pillar seals and we do ship to any state, including Hawaii and Alaska. It does cost a bit more for the buyer but we aim to please.
Thanks,
Pat and Barb
Barb K.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123