The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

460 oil filter adapter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 460 oil filter adapter
    Posted: 23-October-2015 at 8:05AM
Guys,

Drug out my 460 oil filter adapter and got her blasted and I have a question about the pipe plugs...

The first pic shows the part number cast into the adapter.....

In the second, there are two pipe plugs installed at the end of two passages. One is at the end of the passage to the left of IN and the other is at the opposite end of the passage to the right of OUT. Can I remove the pipe plugs, install hose bungs and run lines out to a remote oil cooler??

THANKS

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2015 at 11:35AM
IDK, but that would be my guess as to why the have removable plugs!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2015 at 1:54PM
That is one sweet casting. Do you have any more pictures? 

I can't tell the routing of the passages but it is completely possible the plugs where just used to plug the drilled galleries like an engine block. In fact, if I'm thinking correctly they will not direct flow to an external cooler. It's hard to picture flow in a system like that but think of it this way. If you had an oil sandwich plate, that's only purpose was to add a cooler, the ports would be a redirect of the oil flow out and back in. Plugging those holes would just stop oil flow all together. Thinking with that mentality I don't believe opening up two optional plugs will redirect the flow in any useful way unless a plug was added somewhere. If a plug was added in the original flow rout between the two missing plugs then flow would be redirected.

On the subject of oil cooling. I highly recommend a thermostat if you add a cooler. The 460 is a heap of iron that takes forever to get up to running temp. Anything to aid that process is good. Another issue is meeting the high flow oiling demands of an engine like the 460. To do that requires oil cooling lines that are 5/8" ID minimum unless they are abnormally long. If they are, larger line is required. The only reason I mention this is because packaging two lines that are almost 3/4" OD is not easy to do. For the average performance car an external oil cooler probably isn't worth the effort. Quality oils can take a beating.

Edited by Billy C - 23-October-2015 at 1:56PM
-Billy Conturo
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2015 at 12:29AM
Originally posted by Billy C Billy C wrote:

That is one sweet casting. Do you have any more pictures?

Billy,

Didn't get a change to shoot any more pictures of mine, but I did find this link this morning that has additional views....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2015 at 1:50AM
Ya. That's pretty cool.
-Billy Conturo
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2015 at 4:21AM
So not worth the effort..... Thanks Billy!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 26-October-2015 at 4:22AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
MZSCJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZSCJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2015 at 12:35AM
Here is photo of a adapter with a 71 casting number
MZSCJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZSCJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2015 at 1:22AM
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2015 at 1:48AM
That one looks different than Joe's. The casting is very similar but the placement of the bungs is different. It's actually super cool to see how they did it. The feed coming from the oil pump (hole in the outer orifice of the block side) isn't drilled through the length of the passage. Instead it is routed to a bung. The feed from the adapter to the filter is only drilled deep enough to accept oil from the return of the cooler. 

I tried to illustrate it here
NON COOLER ADAPTER:

COOLER ADAPTER:

-Billy Conturo
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2015 at 4:34AM
Billy,

So what I have merely repositions the oil filter orientation from sticking straight out the side of the block to roughly 90 degrees or so from the original location?

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2015 at 5:51AM
I believe so but I don't have either so that's just my conclusion based on the pictures.
-Billy Conturo
 Post Reply Post Reply