The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8-track

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8-track
    Posted: 07-January-2004 at 9:09AM
I need to find a radio for a 73 fast back I'm not sure if they made a 8 track but kinda hoping if anybody has some ideas please let me know
russ
buster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2004 at 5:41PM

Check www.blueoval6079.com.  John can find about anything for a Torino.

Good Luck

GTSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2004 at 12:14AM

I also like the 8 track units and have one in my '67 Thunderbird as well as my '72 Gran Torino Sport SportsRoof. I owned the T-Bird first and had  collected a bunch of 8 tracks over time. After I added the GTSS to my collection I thought it would be cool to be able to play the 8 track tapes in the GTSS as well as the T-Bird so I went looking for factory 8 track radios for my '72 GTSS. What I learned after about two or three months is that the '72 and '73 Ford AM/FM 8 track units are different than the ones  Ford made before and after that. The correct  '72 and '73 units have a sliding toggle switch at the upper right corner of the face for changing from AM to FM and has a black 8 track door on it. The face plates have the correct  black camera case finish and the knobs are chrome with the correct  black camera case inserts in the centers. Units made after '73 are much more readily available and have two separate buttons on the face, one on the left side and one on the right side for selecting  AM or FM and the 8 track door is chrome. The knobs are also all chrome. The '74 and later radios are much more common and therefore less costly than the '72 and '73 units. The AM/FM 8 track unit  fits in the same opening as the stock radio (my car had the AM/FM stereo) without modification and is a straight plug in installation. It so happens that when I was researching and sourcing the '72 and  '73 AM/FM 8 track units I ended up buying two of them. Both of them were in good working condition and have been cleaned, tested and have new belts, etc. for the 8 track player. The second unit was going to go into another GTS for my son but he has since decided that he wants a more common ride (Mustang!?)and so the short version of this story is that I will sell the second unit if someone needs it. 

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2004 at 11:27AM
Originally posted by GTSS GTSS wrote:

I also like the 8 track units and have one in my '67 Thunderbird as well as my '72 Gran Torino Sport SportsRoof. I owned the T-Bird first and had  collected a bunch of 8 tracks over time. After I added the GTSS to my collection I thought it would be cool to be able to play the 8 track tapes in the GTSS as well as the T-Bird so I went looking for factory 8 track radios for my '72 GTSS. What I learned after about two or three months is that the '72 and '73 Ford AM/FM 8 track units are different than the ones  Ford made before and after that. The correct  '72 and '73 units have a sliding toggle switch at the upper right corner of the face for changing from AM to FM and has a black 8 track door on it. The face plates have the correct  black camera case finish and the knobs are chrome with the correct  black camera case inserts in the centers. Units made after '73 are much more readily available and have two separate buttons on the face, one on the left side and one on the right side for selecting  AM or FM and the 8 track door is chrome. The knobs are also all chrome. The '74 and later radios are much more common and therefore less costly than the '72 and '73 units. The AM/FM 8 track unit  fits in the same opening as the stock radio (my car had the AM/FM stereo) without modification and is a straight plug in installation. It so happens that when I was researching and sourcing the '72 and  '73 AM/FM 8 track units I ended up buying two of them. Both of them were in good working condition and have been cleaned, tested and have new belts, etc. for the 8 track player. The second unit was going to go into another GTS for my son but he has since decided that he wants a more common ride (Mustang!?)and so the short version of this story is that I will sell the second unit if someone needs it. 

Very good response but you left out one minor detail. There were three available 8 track radio units in the 1972/73 time frame. One was an AM monoral, 8 Track Stereo, AM/FM monoral 8 Track Stereo, and finally the AM/FM 8 Track Stereo Radio set. The first set was dropped by model year end 1973 but still available if in dealer stock. The second was dropped by year end 1975 but still available if in dealer stock. Lastly this full stereo set was dropped in model year 1979 but still available if in dealer stock. Which one do you have for sale? If the AM/FM has a stereo indicator (little green light) when using the radio it is a full stereo set.   
GTSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2004 at 6:18PM

This set has a working stereo indicator light. My understanding is that the sets changed their look after '73 and went to the two rectangular buttons, one on either side of the face to select AM or FM rather than the sliding toggle on the upper right corner of the face of the '72/'73 units.

I believe that the AM mono /8 track stereosonic unit you mention is the one that was also used in various forms in T-Birds and Mustangs from '67 on as well and they are quite valuable (I have one in my '67 Bird ). There is currently one on ebay which has been bid to $199.00 with lots of time to go.

GTSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2004 at 5:59PM
Another one of the AM/ 8 track units I mentioned in my last post showed up on ebay today. This one is the '68 to '73 model and is wearing the 1970 Cougar face/ 8 track door. The opening bid is $245.oo (reserve not met).
 Post Reply Post Reply