The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

400 to 429 in 72 Ranchero Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backpain4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 400 to 429 in 72 Ranchero Questions
    Posted: 12-November-2015 at 10:11AM
Hello everyone.

So I blew up the 400 in my 72 after a WOT run, I broke the Distributor gear and oil pump Dizzy.
I have had the car for a year and it has 153,000 miles on it and it's previous owners didn't really do much to keep it up.

So I decided to find a 429 to put in their because it seems like the most realistic swap with the current parts it has in it.

The only major upgrade on my 72 is a Full Painless 21 Circuit rewire. and it already has the BB pattern C6 in it.

My questions are:

Will the alternator and Power steering pump that is currently installed on the 400 work with a 429? I know the mounting is different but are the parts the same that a 429 or 460 would get from the factory? (I am removing AC)

Will the stock 400 torque converter match up to the 429 flex plate and can it handle the power?

Will I need to upgrade my cooling system?

Will the 429 motor mounts bolt in at the same position has the 400's?

Sorry if some of this has be answered. i could find much on 400 to 429 swaps. Only 400 to 460s.

72sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2015 at 8:36AM
Externally a 429 is the same as a 460  Crank and pistons are the only difference.
Tom
1972 Gran Torino Sport 4Spd
1974 Montego wagon "GT" with GT hood, correct buckets
seats, console, and floor shift
2013 Focus 5 speed- Daily driver
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2015 at 1:36PM
welcome! yes ^^^tom is correct. yes the alternator and p/s pump should be the same, but brackets and pulleys will probably be slightly different , so save everything on both motors until you got it all finished and working before you haul anything off to the scrapyard!!  
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2015 at 11:44AM
The 400 and (429/460) use different accessory brackets/pullies. If you want the cleaner look of the non A/C set up use the brackets/pullies from the non A/C 70-72 429.  The torque converter should work fine. The 3 row radiator from the 400 will be the same as a 429 car. What kind of car did the 429 come out of and do you have those mounts? If they came out of a t-bird another torino or a Lincoln you will be able to use those. If you don't have engine mounts I can give you a list of cars that you can grab some from the boneyard.  429/460 same engine block so fit is the same for swapping You will need a different radiator shroud get one from a 72-76 T-bird (all big block cars) the engine mounts are the correct ones too. If you need any else just ask! Good luck with your swap. Dan
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2015 at 3:15PM
Originally posted by backpain4 backpain4 wrote:

Hello everyone.

So I blew up the 400 in my 72 after a WOT run, I broke the Distributor gear and oil pump Dizzy.
I have had the car for a year and it has 153,000 miles on it and it's previous owners didn't really do much to keep it up.
That sucks. It seems like it went a long time though. The 400m was never really a high performance engine design so if you are at WOT often it might be a blessing in disguise.

Will the alternator and Power steering pump that is currently installed on the 400 work with a 429? I know the mounting is different but are the parts the same that a 429 or 460 would get from the factory? (I am removing AC)
I'm with John on this. Save everything from both setups if you can, then pick and choose what works. If you don't have any of the 429 accessories, just get the motor in and see what swaps clean from the 400. Then get what you need. I'm sure there are different variations in brackets and pulleys so it's hard to predict how it will all work.

Will the stock 400 torque converter match up to the 429 flex plate and can it handle the power?
I believe it is the same. Depending on the year 429, it won't be making a huge amount of torque. It might be worth getting a new converter while you have it apart though. I've seen plenty of blown up converters but my OEM 460/C6 survived my non-stop abuse for 3+ years. I sold it in working condition when I went manual.

Will I need to upgrade my cooling system?   
No... But, everything needs to be functioning correctly with all the necessary stock components installed. Like Dan said, including the big block fan shroud,

Will the 429 motor mounts bolt in at the same position has the 400's?
This has been covered a lot on the forum and the general consensus is that the Big Block+Intermediate platform has a completely unique motor mount. They are hard to find. Last time I checked, the ones listed at parts dealers are not correct so it's not that easy.

Do you have the 429 yet? If you don't, I'd suggest looking for a 460. They can be had for super cheap and with a swapped cam and bolt-ons they can be worth the extra cubes.

Good luck
-Billy Conturo
backpain4 View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backpain4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2015 at 6:03AM
Thanks for the replies. The particular 429 that I am going to get is a built 429 from CarsbyCarl.com, I have researched him from other ford forums and nobody said anything bad about him.

I know I should have mentioned that this 429 is going to be in the 500s in Hp and Torque, I also am aware that my C6 and Rear end will need some attention.

Every Site I have read up on 429 and 460 swaps say just go 460. My personal opinion saying that my 72 has a 429 rolls off better in conversation.

I am not pulling the trigger on the engine build (which takes 90 days to complete) until the beginning of next year so I have time to really think about it and save up $$$.

The engine will be broken in by the builder before shipment, the parts I will need is a ignition system(Going MSD ONLY for rev limiter function)
front dress brackets
motor mounts
headers
and flex plate.

And yes I have upgraded the suspension and brakes so I am not trowing 500Hp at a 2 ton car that can't stop.

NATE
1972 Ranchero 500 (Needs Engine)
1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 (daily)
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2015 at 7:22AM
Try and get yourself a correct throttle cable for a 429/460 powered Torino/ranchero. That cable will be the same from 429/460 powered 72-76 torino/ranchero/Montego, 74-76 elite/cougar. Engine mounts from the same cars will be a bolt in as well. Plus the 72-76 T-birds use the same engine mounts. Again Good luck and have fun! Dan
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2015 at 8:01AM
Well, a fresh engine build is another story. I'd get whatever stall converter Carl recommends. That's really dependent on the cam. Getting 500+hp out of an n/a 429 is going to require a bit of spin. That should be fun! There is nothing wrong with that over a few more cubes. Carl helped me with some parts for my motor and I am very happy with it so far. He seemed very knowledgeable the few times we spoke. 
-Billy Conturo
 Post Reply Post Reply