The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Photo Gallery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Billy's other rip machines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Billy's other rip machines
    Posted: 28-November-2015 at 9:44AM
Figured I would post up some pictures of some of the other cars in my family. There isn't anything as cool as the Torino yet but every car has it's place.

To start it off is my daily driver, a base model 1990 Honda Civic EF Hatchback.

As with all my cars, this one has a story. I developed my love for these 4th gen civics early in life. When I was growing up I learned how to drive manual from my grandfather in his 1989 civic. When I was barely old enough he would let me drive back and fourth in his back yard. I couldn't have been any older than twelve. We just practiced going forward and backwards all day until my grandma would shut it down for dinner. I would always be so exited to practice driving the civic when I went over to visit. I got older and got my licence in high school. At that time I wasn't driving any manuals because my parents never had any but I would practice anytime I visited my grandparents. My grandfather and I would take the car all around the neighborhood. He would always take me to the gas station and show me how the tank only cost $20 to completely fill from empty. Towards the end of high school my grandfather passed away. 
   A year after high school my grandmother gave me the civic. It had 44,100 miles on it. I was really out of practice driving stick. The first day I had the car, I picked up one of my good friends and wrecked it showing off. I was pretty upset at myself. Fortunately, nobody was hurt and the thing was a tank. There was only minor damage. From that point on I took extremely good care of the car. My grandfather left all sorts of notes in the owners manual about regular maintenance and what he had done. I was religious about sticking to his guidelines and the car ran great for the next 5 years. In that time I did some regular stuff like tie rods, timing belt, wheel bearings, axles, and other small stuff. I did road trips to Toronto, NYC, Atlantic City NJ, and a few other places. 

Unfortunately, no matter how well a car is maintained, Pittsburgh winters always take their toll eventually. At 90,000mi the rockers had gotten really bad. I had plans to cut them out and weld in new metal. Earlier this summer, I decided to tackle the project. I quickly discovered that the rust went all the way through to the floor. While welding, I caught the carpet on fire and the entire interior went up in flames. After putting out the fire and filling the interior with fire extinguisher crap, I had to face the fact that it was time to move on. It was painful but I started parting out what was left of the toasted civic.

I really wanted to find another one and save all my part. My dad kept trying to talk me out of it so I started getting rid of some major parts. I spent countless hours on craigslist trying to find a good replacement for the civic. This is when I realized how great that little civic really was. It had seating for 5, tons of cargo space, it was super fun to drive, super easy to maintain, really durable, and it got 35-45mpg. That doesn't exist. Try to find it. I dare you.
   Mid-way through the summer I finally found a unbelievably clean southern 1990 civic for really cheap. It had been swapped and slammed but that wasn't anything I couldn't handle. Luckily I didn't get rid of too many parts yet. I bought this new civic for $1350 not really caring about anything but the condition of the body. I discovered that someone had swapped it to a JDM B16A but did a really crappy job. There was a receipt in the glove box for the imported engine for $2000 dated around the time of the last inspection. The inspection sticker seems to indicate that the engine could only have about 2000 Amaerican miles on it. The car was really fast and not running right. I spend the summer swapping every mechanical component from my old civic onto this new one. While pulling the B16A I discovered some mysterious engine mount cracks so I fixed that.

I swapped back in my old D15B1 and 4 speed, suspension, steering rack, and some other bits. I also had to de-molest the half-swapped wiring harness.
   Now I am daily driving a nice civic again. This one is nicer than my last one was when I got it from my grandmother. I absolutely love it. The D15B1 seems to be making all 70 of the HP it's capable of and the car tracks straight as an arrow. Although almost completely stock, I've done some semi-trick stuff to it.

Here is the totally custom tig welded ss exhaust. It's really quiet despite the way it looks.

I've always wanted rear discs so I swapped rear disc brakes from a Acura Integra DA

It also has seats from a Prelude that one of my friends and I made custom tig welded brackets for.

I'm keeping the B16A in the back of the garage for a rainy day. It is an awesome motor so I don't want to let it go although it could probably pay for the car.

Here are some more pictures of the car.

Don't let the 70 bhp fool you. With the good tires, this thing is quick little car, especially without any passengers. The quality manual steering rack and short wheelbase makes it feel like a street legal go-cart.

I'll have some more up soon.

Edited by Billy C - 28-November-2015 at 9:45AM
-Billy Conturo
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2015 at 11:00AM
Clap glad you didn't give up on the car! what size are those wheels? i have those 16's that i just took off my celica Big smile (they are from a honda!!!)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2015 at 12:07PM
They are 15s. I believe 15"x6". They are OEM Acura Integra LS "mesh" wheels.
-Billy Conturo
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2015 at 12:14PM
I like those old 16s from your celica, although nothing like the new ones. Approve
-Billy Conturo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2015 at 12:26PM
they are 16 x 7's with good tires!! shoot me an offer Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2015 at 1:12PM
Here is my brother's beater truck/family work truck that I'm always messing with.
1992 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0L 5spd 4x4, no longer 4x4. 280,xxx+ miles.

We bought this truck with a blown out reverse gear for $800 and swapped the trans. I replaced the fuel pump, some fuel lines, brakes lines, and brake pad/shoes. I swapped out the rear leafs with some super heavy ones stacked up. We did some other small stuff early on like plugs, radiator, and serpentine belt. I just did a fun little tig welded 3" ss "cat-back" the other day for it. So far the truck has been pretty much maintenance free for 2+ years. The largest load I've put in the bed was 830 pounds. We have hauled trailers and towed a few cars with tow straps. I only changed the oil twice since we owned it. It just runs like a champ. It's really been a great truck.

-Billy Conturo
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2015 at 1:51AM
Cool story about the Civic, Billy!
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2015 at 1:34AM
Billy, great Civic story!

I still have my '94 EG Civic Coupe. Recently turned 100K miles, so it is barely broken in. It's a lowly DX, with no options except a radio and A/C so it gets phenomenal mileage. 1.5, 5 speed, but mine is no powerhouse at all. The only mods I have done are a larger exhaust and Turbo muffler (nice lower sound, not "ricey"), a set of 16 inch wheels, and the seats out of an SI. Other than a battery, the tires, oil changes and a timing belt/water pump service, it has cost me nothing since I got it in 2005. I have an Acura Integra rear disc setup that I hope to install this winter. Cannot beat them.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2015 at 5:30AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

What size tires?
-Billy Conturo
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2015 at 10:15AM
My youngest has had 3 civics.2 hatch backs both almost made 300000 but bodies gave out. coup is a hx with 258000 on it.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2015 at 12:54PM
Originally posted by Billy C Billy C wrote:

What size tires?
205/50/16 rear are about 70% tread fronts are about 90%
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2015 at 1:45PM

What size tires?
205/50/16 rear are about 70% tread fronts are about 90%
205/45/16 is the biggest size that will work and even that is big. I've really been thinking about 16's but not sure I want such a small sidewall. 
-Billy Conturo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2015 at 1:36AM
I run 205/50-16's on mine all around.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2015 at 11:51AM
EG is the next generation. I think the tires are probably a little bigger for that car. Stock tire diameter for the EF is ~22.7. I have 195-50-15 on there now and they almost rub the inside front fender when the steering is fully locked. A 205-50-16 is ~23.7. 205 is also wider so I'm sure they will rub. I could probably get away with it but for a car that I need to be %100 no questions asked, I'd like to stick with pushing things to the safer side. I've also taken some crazy big potholes and urban off-road adventures and I feel with the 16" wheel I might be getting into rim bending territory. I've really thought about going to 16s. I really want to but it just likes the tires it has so much right now. I'm not sure if the rewards would be worth the risk. Sooooo tempting though.... 

-Billy Conturo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2015 at 2:21AM
I had a '91 Hatch years ago with 15's. My '94 DX base has not been lowered, so that might make a difference, but the car came originally with 165/70-13 on a tiny steel rim. Surprisingly, I checked different tire brands in that same 205/50-16 size and found obvious differences in the actual height and width between the brands (ratios of width v/s width). I settled on a cheapo alternative with Pep Boys Definity. Not the best tire, but my car is just a slow economy driver, and these were slightly shorter than other brands and cost a lot less. Handles very well. I usually run Michelin or Nitto tires on what I drive, but these have been on the car since 2007 and are still going strong.

Just a suggestion on the height and width differences on different brands.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2015 at 3:43AM
Ya, I've noticed that there are some inconsistencies between brands too. Tirerack actually recommends a 205-40-16 for the EF. That's basically an impossible tire to find in a good compound. That's why a lot of folks run the 205-45-16s. My car is also a slow economy car when it comes down to it but it doesn't mean it can't be fun and slow. It's also at stock ride height. It actually handles better at stock ride height than any slammed EF I have ever drove. It was slammed when I got it and was pretty much unbearable.
-Billy Conturo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2015 at 5:07AM
I looked at 17 inch combos for mine, but with our roads here, I need more rubber sidewall to prevent pothole damage. 50 series are as short as I dare go. I toss mine around with abandon, and love the way it hugs the twisties, but the hills quickly take the fun level down. When I want a VERY small interpretation of a turbo, I kick off the A/C button going up hills, LOL. Mostly just changes the sound of the engine.

C has 45 series tires on her TL (235/45-17) and I stay in a panic about bent Acura rims. Only person I've ever seen that can repeatedly curb the Right and LEFT rims.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2015 at 8:29AM

"C has 45 series tires on her TL (235/45-17) and I stay in a panic about bent Acura rims. Only person I've ever seen that can repeatedly curb the Right and LEFT rims."

Nobody's good at everything. Everyone is good at something.
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2016 at 1:05PM
Been a while since I added to the garage here. I have been working on another project lately. I don't have many pictures of the build but it started life as a completely stock 1989 Honda Civic DX Sedan

Throttle body injected 1.6L (90bhp)
5 speed
A/C
F/M radio
crank windows
Georgia title

nothing but the best of course LOL

Since I can't leave anything alone, I decided I would add 75hp to it. Everyone says it's easy to motor swap these hondas so I figured I'd give it a shot.

The new power plant is a 1.8L Acura Integra LS motor

It's the cleanest B-Series into an EF/ED swap I've ever seen (that was goal) and it runs like a bat out of hell. It's the funniest thing. I didn't even add a tachometer. It still has the origional shifter, gauges, pedals, hood, air cleaner, wire harness mounts, and clips. It looks like it should have came this way runs like it too. Of course there are way more details involved that I didn't go into but it was worth the hard work to get it this nice.

Edited by Billy C - 08-November-2016 at 1:07PM
-Billy Conturo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2016 at 1:19PM
Clap nice!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2016 at 2:42PM
That is a really clean swap. Nothing to give it away. Kudos!
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2018 at 6:29AM
Been a while since I added pictures of some of my other projects.

I swapped the civic sedan again because I wanted VTak yo...

Here is a video of the stock tune.

It gets up and goes pretty well with the extra few hp and the VTEC sounds so great especially way up top. This was truly the golden era for Honda. There was no other car company engineering stuff to this level at this price point in the 90s.

It's got a few goodies under the mostly stock looking setup.

Full OBD0 to OBD1 custom wiring with all factory connectors and crimping
integrated wideband into the wiring harness
street tuned for 93 octane VTEC @ 5800 rpm
built transmission with LSD, carbon synchros, custom gear ratios
7lb flywheel
lightweight crank pulley
Fully baffled oil pan with kickout (6qt)
axles made special for the swap to OEM specs
second gen spring type LMAs
aftermarket intake manifold (I don't really like it)
custom modified headers for ground clearance
no cat
2.5" back to muffler 2" out (sleeper style)

Here is another recent addition
2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Bone stock except wheels.... for now Evil Smile

And finally, I picked this up a the beginning of the summer.
1994 Acura Integra LS shipped from Austin TX

Pulled the motor just to do the maintenance and a thorough inspection. Installed everything back to exactly how it was after the service was done. Every nut, bolt, clip, hose exactly how it was from the factory. Everything is stock except for header (installed by the previous owner) and baffled stock capacity oil pan. This car is probably going to stay stock. It's just too nice to mess it up. 
-Billy Conturo
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2018 at 6:41AM
I used to have a 1986 dodge omni glh turbo, swapped in a 2.5, s60 turbo and a few other odds and ends. ran like low 12's at 115+ mph since it had no real traction until about midway through 3rd gear. I think i might have had $2500 in the car and it simply gave all the honda/vw/suburu guys in my area the blues lol  wish i had kept it, switched it over to a minivan auto trans/axles and ran slicks on it. pretty sure it would have been mid 11's or better. American 4cyl muscle!!!!

Edited by MrSmog - 28-October-2018 at 6:44AM
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2018 at 7:25AM
The Omni is pretty awesome especially the GLH. I'd love to find a survivor one of those and I'm sure it would be worth something. It's very cool but still not close to the stuff Honda was putting out around the time. The GLH was very low production and I'm not sure the price point. The 2.5 turbo was rated at 150hp stock. Maybe more with the "S" version or something like that. Obviously, it took to power very well with your turbo upgrade and that success should be credited to you and your skills. The 89 Civic SIR in Japan was rated at 160hp stock with no turbo and almost a liter less of displacement. I imagine the GLH and SIR were comparable in price. Just the sheer numbers show how advanced the Japanise engineers were compared to everyone else. Americans have just started to catch up to everyone else when it comes to combustion chamber design and efficiency. Most of that is due to the crazy computer advancements over the past 20 years and the ability to simulate and optimize this stuff.

2.5L Turbo @ 150-170hp
1.6L non turbo at 160hp

-Billy Conturo
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2018 at 7:44AM

The Omni is pretty awesome especially the GLH. I'd love to find a survivor one of those and I'm sure it would be worth something. It's very cool but still not close to the stuff Honda was putting out around the time. The GLH was very low production and I'm not sure the price point. The 2.5 turbo was rated at 150hp stock. Maybe more with the "S" version or something like that. Obviously, it took to power very well with your turbo upgrade and that success should be credited to you and your skills. The 89 Civic SIR in Japan was rated at 160hp stock with no turbo and almost a liter less of displacement. I imagine the GLH and SIR were comparable in price. Just the sheer numbers show how advanced the Japanise engineers were compared to everyone else. Americans have just started to catch up to everyone else when it comes to combustion chamber design and efficiency. Most of that is due to the crazy computer advancements over the past 20 years and the ability to simulate and optimize this stuff.

2.5L Turbo @ 150-170hp
1.6L non turbo at 160hp

a liter less of displacement but double the cams/valves and probably more compression as well, so not apples to apples really. Lets not forget the 2.2/2,5 turbos were basic transportation motors used in everything from lebarons to minivans of the time, not limited edition performance motors like the sir stuff.  what sort of torque did that honda put out and at what rpm? I can promise you the 2.2/2,5 turbos put out much more torque at a lower rpm even at stock non intercooled boost levels of 6-8 psi. Import guys love to tout engineerin wizadry, but if it works, it works. Thats why I built the car and after a serious beat down to one of the import guys in my area, the excuses would fly.  they made over 3125 glh turbos in 86 and another 500 of the glhs's. so limited numbers but not overly rare, heck my 4spd base model toino is less then 1 of 20 made, thats rare. what was the production numbers for the newer 89 civic sir?
not to mention this is America and not japan, so not really apples to apples as far as what was available here. What did honda have at the time that was available HERE? I ran buddies with old body style crx's with 1.8/2,2 vtecs that were turboed, nitroused or n/a and still thumped em. Torque wins races, not too mention the omni was only 2200 lbs or so WITH ac/pwr steerin, full interior etc, didn't have to gut the car to get it to run any good numbers. as far as how advanced the Japanese were over everyone else, that is simply  your opinion. Lets not forget they and the Chineese basically made their economies copyin OUR designs of products.  I still see K cars on the road as daily drivers (not as often as i used to, but i do), can't recall the last time I saw a 70's-80's import around used in similar fashion. The car ran in the 13's with the 2.5 and smaller mitsubishi turbo at 14 lbs of boost, in beast mode with the s60 turbo i ran it between 18-26 lbs of boost, power was probably in the 325-400 range at the wheels there and torque was surely north of 300 ft lbs easily. Revved to about 6500 rpm or so but was only a single ohc/2v head design. it was simplistic but worked and when air/fuel ratio was kept in check and not overheated, lived. the 2.5 i used was just a 150k mile junker motor, that I re-gasketed and slapped in my car. nothin fancy at all. the car wasn't just a straight line monster either, with the 16" 225/50/16 tires or even the factory 195/50/15's there wasn't much could hang with it on the curves as I used to run it at summit point raceway in wv.
wasn't tryin to take a thing away from your rides at all, just your older civic reminded me of when I slapped this car together, thats all. Beer   I know a little bit about the honda stuff through talkin to buddies and know they have their weak points as well (trans,blocks,etc), just like anything else. I just like to mention that 4 cyl American stuff is around and can hang with and put the smackdown on the import stuff. ,spirit rt/daytona iroc rt/srt4 neons, the turbo/sc cobalts, some of the hotter ford focuses etc  I like the way you did your swap, clean and factory lookin. thats the sort of stuff I like to see, makes people really scratch their head when they go for a ride or get spanked on the street. pop the hood and no chrome, braided line or flash, just looks "stock". Clap

Edited by MrSmog - 28-October-2018 at 8:13AM
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2018 at 9:22AM
Oh ya, Totally get it. Again I'd credit you with your ability to build something. There are great models and designs from all manufactures from all different time periods. Dodge has some of coolest odd-ball stuff especially when they did all the cars with Mitsubishi. The Stealth R/T was a pretty exciting car to name one of them. I know America has made some super sweet 4 cyl and 6 cyl stuff over the generations. Not denying that.

As far as torque goes. The 1.6 vtec motor probably makes somewhere around 120ft/lbs if that. Not much especially compared to something with more displacement. It's geared to suit so not really an issue there. It has twice the cams and twice the valves because that design was better than anything a single cam and 2 valves per cylinder could offer. 4 valves per cylinder is pretty much the way every modern engine is designed for a reason. Almost the same argument could be made for a turbo. Honda just started running forced induction on factory cars last year. A little late to game in that regard considering forced induction was pretty much the economy solution coming out of Germany in the early 2000's.  I still think there is little question on the technology, design, and quality coming from Honda in the late 80's through late 90's. They were certainly 10 years ahead of everyone else at least,, not only with displacement to power but overall design.
-Billy Conturo
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2020 at 10:05AM
Dialing in the turbo on the MR2. Oh, did a 2zz Celica/Lotus swap a few months back on it. Forgot to post that too.

-Billy Conturo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2020 at 3:31PM
oh is that what those are? i've seen a couple driving on the freeway from the rear never realized they were mr2'sShocked years ago a buddy had a second gen mr 2  nice style and pretty fastBig smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2020 at 4:40PM
Ya, I don't see a lot of these around either. It kinda fit the budget and I wanted to mix it up. Rear engine rear wheel drive sounded like a fun game.  I don't know if it's fast yet, the Toyota/Yamaha/Lotus 2ZZ is known for being a drama queen if you aren't nice to it so I'm taking baby steps into the boost. Currently have it on a wimpy 6-7psi and haven't had the guts to spin it past 7500 at that pressure. All of the data says throw 10 at it and spin it to 8700 but I'm taking baby steps into this turbo stuff. It's nothing like the 521 in Torino or all the N/A Honda stuff I've been playing with over the past couple years. Cracked ring lands are common on stock piston 2ZZs that get too much turbo abuse. I guess it might be fast even on 6lbs but I'm not watching the speedo right now and my concept of speed has been so warped at this point, who knows.
-Billy Conturo
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2021 at 7:41AM
Another horse in the stable...

I've gone to the dark side

-Billy Conturo
 Post Reply Post Reply