The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Ranchero Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Two rancheros in sick bay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two rancheros in sick bay
    Posted: 06-December-2015 at 2:24PM
Been awhile since there has been anything posted on the 74 and 79. Both are in sick bay right now. The 74 is getting some upgrades/repairs to the instrument cluster. When the car was restored the first time back in 1990 the rally gauge cluster received some auto meter gauges in place of some of the stock ones.( when the frame off was done in 1999-2001 the cluster was just cleaned up a bit and put aside) Now the fuel gauge has failed and a new one is supposed to be in transit as this is being written. Also at this time like many of us have experienced this gauge lighting is very dim. The filters where removed many years ago and that worked "OK" for a few years. But now the lighting was so dim it could not even be seen well on a very dark night on a unlit country road. Replaced the headlight switch and that brought it back up to a useable level, but The bulbs will also be upgraded to LED. Going to try them first with no filters to see how well they work/look. If it doesn't work out the filters can be bought and those will be installed as well. That car will also receive a set of dimpled and slotted front rotors and new semi metallic brake pads. The tires are now working on 15 years old and are showing it! That will be a spring time project. New rims will be in order too since all the chrome is peeling of the almost 27 year old one on the car now. Those things once done will now make the car safe to drive again. There are still plans for a fuel injection system (MSD) and a gear vendor over drive unit/trans rebuild. But the money has to loosen up a bit before those two things can be tackled.

Next the 79 Ranchero MX When Susan and I went to the Fairlane nationals last year the car developed a "clunk" when it would pull away from a stop. Felt like something was loose in the back of the car. After checking everything from the possibility of the brakes hanging up to bad bushings, u joints, broken rear trans mount what was found it the noise was coming from the carrier. The driveshaft was removed and the axle was spun and you can feel nothing but the thing binding. Without the engine torque you can see/feel how bad it is binding :(. Happen to have another 2.50 carrier that works fine sitting in the shop. That will be cleaned up and used. A 16 tooth speedo gear will need to be bought to keep that all reading correct. There is a 2.75 in there right now. I don't race and this beast sports a nice 460 so pulling away from a stop should not present and problems with the higher gear. This one's engine was done in 2010 and has about 25K and a water pump is now due (leaking from weep hole) Not real happy with the short life of the pump but a new one is sitting in the shop (already painted ford blue) waiting for installation. Otherwise that car is good to go. The frame off on that on one was only 5 years ago vs. the other being done 16 so I would hope that there would not be to much else wrong.

The plan is to get the 74 ready to drive to Tulsa, OK for the Fairlane nationals in may. So that one is a priority to get safe first. That is all for now just thought I would "share" what's happening @ Dan's place! :rolleyes:
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2015 at 1:26PM
still in a coma here

72 GT Ute

Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2015 at 2:16PM
Been there too! Tongue
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2015 at 12:59PM
I can still see some floor next to the engine stand...
You need more...stuff...yeah... I'm gonna go with "stuff"...LOL
(mine's full of "stuff" too)
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2015 at 4:23PM

Rock.,Looks like my shed/garage. Where did you put the bumper you got from me? LOL

Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2015 at 4:48PM
ShockedWow Dan, hard to believe that the '74 was done that long ago. It seems like a couple a yrs. ago when I seen it, shortly after you took the body off, & it was sitting on barrels next to the chassis
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2015 at 12:37AM
All of mine are in sick bay.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2015 at 9:02AM
Originally posted by Ranchero Fan Ranchero Fan wrote:

ShockedWow Dan, hard to believe that the '74 was done that long ago. It seems like a couple a yrs. ago when I seen it, shortly after you took the body off, & it was sitting on barrels next to the chassis

Yea that was a long time ago. Nicole was 7 years old at the she is 22 now and Tim is 19. Both kid's don't know life without Dad having the ranchero! The frame off started in 97-98 and was finished around early 2001. The Gauge cluster was done in the early 90's and I really liked it. It received a nice clean up when the frame off was done. Now all those gauges are 20+ years old guess they can't last forever! The trans was a clean up as well and that is going on 28 years! (that will be next). Yup, time flies when your having fun LOL.  
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2015 at 2:44PM
BB, it's an old pic, that oversight has been rectified LOL

RF, it's in the ~other~ shed/garage locked in a group hug with the 2 front bumpers Clap

I haven't made the resolution firm yet but it's setting up, if things don't happen next warm ... Cry

DtRM, I guess I'm having fun then? Wacko

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2015 at 3:16PM
X3 on the FUN FACTOR
 Post Reply Post Reply