The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Evaporator Case

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Torino Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Evaporator Case
    Posted: 21-January-2016 at 8:09AM
So since my 73 didn't come with the original engine, the 351M is wider and the P/S valve cover is right on it. Did they offer a smaller case? Or what did you do to cover the blower opening if your case was removed. TIA

Ernest
1973 Gran Torino Sport CJ 351

'Q' code 63R body
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2016 at 11:01AM
The valve cover being close is just the way it would be. That car also had a 429 CID option and they use the same case. As far as covering it...... They didn't. If the car was a Non A/C car the firewall was a different set up. I have converted two rancheros to the Non A/C set up to clean up the engine bay. To do it right and make it look right you would need a donor (non A/C) car and the firewall section would have to be cut out and welded in. Then you will need the heater control set up from that car as well as the wiring. It is a very big job. If you just wanted to cover up your existing hole and you where handy with sheet metal you could make something that would look nice with polished aluminum. But keep in mind your heat heater air flows through that piece and you heat may not work real well. But if it is only a summer car you might be able to get away with it.     

Edited by Dan the ranchero man - 21-January-2016 at 11:02AM
The Torino Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Torino Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2016 at 5:33AM
I can't even access the lower left valve cover bolt with the case that's on it right now...Ouch
1973 Gran Torino Sport CJ 351

'Q' code 63R body
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2019 at 5:13AM
I have the same issue. But I was able to get the original bolt out then back in after putting on my chrome covers. 12 point box end wrench and plenty of time will do the job.

My evaporator and heater core vith leak and I am pulling it apart after the driving season is over. I NEED my A/C!
 Post Reply Post Reply