The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

351C/C6 Factory Performance Torque Converter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross6860 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351C/C6 Factory Performance Torque Converter
    Posted: 02-February-2016 at 11:21AM
Posting here in the engine forum hoping someone knows the answer.

I'm pretty sure Ford made a factory "high performance" torque convertor for the 351C/C6 combination.  Anyone know for sure, and possibly a part number?

Probably unavailable, but I'm hoping.

My engine builder, and a build shop I trust, have both reported nothing but problems with the big name, not to expensive suppliers like B&M, Hughes, STI, etc.  To the point they recommend having a new converter cut open and rebalanced before install, or buying from a reputable small shop in the first place.  Multiple complaints pointing to the engine balance but turned out to be the TCs causing the problems.

Anyone comment?

1974 Gran Torino
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2016 at 1:32PM
the 1972 Cobra Jet converter is rated at approx 2600 rpm stall IIRC, it uses a unique flexplate & stud circle pattern. good thing I saved this pic member Kenneth posted to his project thread a while back because all his pics are lost

personally I wouldn't start fresh trying to find the 45 years old factory converter? surprisingly new flexplates are available though. I just ran across a converter thread here http://www.the351cforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=727
on the 2nd page they get to some good stuff, Kid Vicious / kv racing has been pushing Clevelands hard for a long time & he doesn't BS

I'd just pay up & get what you pay for Big smile rather than paying for what you get Cry 

Edited by Rockatansky - 02-February-2016 at 1:35PM
72 GT Ute

mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2016 at 6:23AM
72 is 2800 and it drops to like 2200-2400 for 1974.  and like mentioned about, the stud pattern and flexplate are unique FOR THIS CONVERTOR,
Mike
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2016 at 6:33AM
Originally posted by mcford mcford wrote:

72 is 2800 and it drops to like 2200-2400 for 1974.  and like mentioned about, the stud pattern and flexplate are unique FOR THIS CONVERTOR,

funny thing is, it wouldn't surprise me to find out Ford sourced that 2800 rpm converter from B&M or one of the other top tier aftermarket perf places back then  lol   Honestly it sounds like the engine builder is lookin for a "out" just in case there is a problem.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2016 at 9:01AM
Is he going to dyno the engine? If so, then the engine balance can be ruled out if there is a problem.

More often, it is the wrong flexplate, timing or wrong/bad harmonic balancer that causes vibration issues. I've had a couple of B&M convertors, and a few off-brand units and never had an issue...but have had issues with wrongly weighted flexplates and balancers not intended for the particular engine. Just because it "fits" does not mean it is right.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Ross6860 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross6860 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2016 at 11:10AM
There are several well thought of local shops, and only one that does balancing in-house.  They also happen to be the local Ford "experts".  So regardless which machine shop or builder you choose, unless they are sending your rotating assembly out of town, they all get balanced at the same shop.

Considering the value of some of the builds going through these shops, I wouldn't assume they are covering their ass in advance.  The two shops I dealt with have very good reps with the local "car craft" community.  Restorers and racers alike. 

They aren't making a dime off of a TC, so why would give me a line?

Hopefully I'll report back how it comes out. It's a 408 Cleveland going in that fat Torino in my Avatar. SCAT kit at just under 10:1. It's a street cruiser, not a race car.
1974 Gran Torino
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2016 at 12:14PM
408 with a 4" stroke should have plenty of bottom end grunt & shouldn't need to rely too much on a stall converter, you'll just be giving up usable rpm. same with the rear gear, the 4" crank arm will turn a highway gear with ease & you'll tach out lower all day long

unfortunately the very mild barely above stock stall converters usually end up being disappointments

stock is around 1500 - 1700 BTW, a converter for a 6 cylinder or small V8 will have a slightly higher stall than the correct converter for a 351 or larger engine
72 GT Ute

mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2016 at 12:32PM
just looked in my 1972 ford specifications manual and Fords rating on the 72 CJ torque convertor is 2750-2950 stal speed

Edited by mcford - 03-February-2016 at 12:33PM
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply